If you could only have a 4-piece cymbal setup, what would it be?

Thanks for the kind remarks. What's retarded, though, is that's $1000+ worth of bronze on a PDP Birch kit that only cost $600 new. I did just buy some Pearl Session Customs, but for the most part I've spent my money on cymbals (and hardware). Probably backwards from most, but to me, you can tune drums to sound decent, but you can't tune a bad cymbal.

Smart man here. That's the way you're supposed to do it. You can't fix bad cymbals. Everyone must learn this. The drums don't really matter - it's easy to get them to sound good - trust me.

Finally another Bos fan!

If you're looking for a more washy sound, maybe check out the master series for your next purchase. It's one of bosphorus's most popular series and it sounds like more what you want.
I've a got a 16" Master Crash coming, perfect amount of wash, sustain, and a beautiful tone!

I looked at the jazz crash/ride at one point. It doesn't crash like a thin ride, but the stick definition combined with the tone is pretty cool.

I'll look into the master series though honestly, it gets to a point where expense rules out the practical availability of something, no matter how cool it would be to own.

I doubt I'll ever have a gong, but they sound damn cool.

Umm...well I'd probably go with:
Sabian HH 16" Dark Crash
Sabian HH 18" Dark Crash
Sabian HH 20" Classic Ride
Sabian HH 14" Dark Hats

I like dark stuff.

I have an El Sabor 18", and it is the only thing I own that would not willingly part with. I am taking a "vacation" from it right now. It is one great cymbal. I was going to get an Omni 18", but then thought, what is the point? I already have the El Sabor. Peace and goodwill.

Woaaa! I just googled the 20" El Sabor and watch the mycymbal.com clips. I think I may have found my new ride. That thing sounds deelish and the price isn't bad. I kind of wanted a larger ride but if that thing can be loud when I need it to then I think I may have found the one.

Not meaning to hijack just have a very quick question. When needed, does the 20" El Sabor ride have enough volume?

Drumolator, thanks a lot for posting that. That's why I love this forum.

The core of my gigging setup is all I use in my rehearsal setup:

14" New Beats (should be no surprise to anyone they're so popular; they're the most recorded hats in music)
16" A medium crash
18" A medium crash
20" AA medium ride

I augment with 1 or 2 Wuhan chinas (depending on the gig) and an A 10" splash.

See 'em here.

I looked at the jazz crash/ride at one point. It doesn't crash like a thin ride, but the stick definition combined with the tone is pretty cool.

I'll look into the master series though honestly, it gets to a point where expense rules out the practical availability of something, no matter how cool it would be to own.

I doubt I'll ever have a gong, but they sound damn cool.

Yeah I was almost gonna buy the jazz crash/ride too, surprising one of the best crash rides I've heard. The crash didn't really open up as much as I thought it would though.

As far as I know, most new bosphorus cymbals aren't that hard to get, there's plenty of online dealers. However for people who are looking used or the people that absolutely have to hear something in person before buying it, then they're more hard to find.

Yeah I was almost gonna buy the jazz crash/ride too, surprising one of the best crash rides I've heard. The crash didn't really open up as much as I thought it would though.

As far as I know, most new bosphorus cymbals aren't that hard to get, there's plenty of online dealers. However for people who are looking used or the people that absolutely have to hear something in person before buying it, then they're more hard to find.

I can get almost anything locally, Melbourne is well supplied as far as drum shops go. We have one very good dedicated drum shop, and a store in the CBD able to order in practically anything they do not have. The two things I've wanted I haven't been able to obtain are Istanbul agops and sonor drums.

I can get almost anything locally, Melbourne is well supplied as far as drum shops go. We have one very good dedicated drum shop, and a store in the CBD able to order in practically anything they do not have. The two things I've wanted I haven't been able to obtain are Istanbul agops and sonor drums.

Yeah my drum shops only carry sabian, zildjian, a little paiste and meinl, and a few dream as well. And even within sabian and zildjian they don't have that great of a selection. Same with drums, I don't think there are any sonors, not too many mapex's (a few now and then), and not a lot of yamahas. So I have to rely on deciding and buying online a lot.

2002 or Signature Hats- Whichever I could find the cheapest
19 Signature Full Crash- The most amazing cymbal I've ever heard.
18 or 16 Signature Power Crash
21 Signature Dry Heavy Ride- The best ride I have ever heard ( Too bad it's discontinued)
They are the most versatile cymbals I've every played.

Yeah my drum shops only carry sabian, zildjian, a little paiste and meinl, and a few dream as well. And even within sabian and zildjian they don't have that great of a selection. Same with drums, I don't think there are any sonors, not too many mapex's (a few now and then), and not a lot of yamahas. So I have to rely on deciding and buying online a lot.

Drum wise it is mostly Mapex, Yamaha, PDP/DW and Pearl here.

Tama have grown in popularity in recent years due to the increase in metal drummers/rock drummers taking them up.

I find it is very hard to find top end kits and jazz orientated kits here. Some stores stock them, but usually in a limited quantity, even the best shops you will be unable to walk in an purchase a top end jazz kit, not that I've ever had money for one.

Though I largely play metal, I don't like metal style kits, I prefer thinner, washier, dark cymbals over the big heavy, bright ones most companies make for metal. With drums I prefer a higher tone with more emphasis on attack then loud, low-pitch metal style kits. Metal is never acoustic and with the right amplification anything can sound loud live/studio.

I was thinking about my 'ultimate' 4 cymbal set up over the weekend, having found one that I know will sit in that list for a very long time, so it was cool to spot this thread.

Having waded through Sabian, Paiste and Zildjian, I found UFIP last year and spent two days trying out much of their range.
A number of cymbals stood out so far, they alone draw me to kit to play and that, is my gauge as to just how good they are.

I would say however, one spot remains open in my 'ultimate four' and while I have played and love many, I haven't found that note perfect feel from 'the' one yet.

I love the UFIP Bionic 19" 1876g which sits above the other UFIP, Sabian and Paiste crashes I own, but can't say it is 'the' one.
I don't own, but love the UFIP 19" Experience Bell Crash, so we'll have to see if that can take the final spot.

As for the top three, hands down, these are the best cymbals I have ever owned or played - by miles! These would always sit in any of my kits.

UFIP 14" Bionic Hi-Hats
UFIP 22" Bionic Ride 3484g
UFIP 19" Blast Crash

Smart man here. That's the way you're supposed to do it. You can't fix bad cymbals. Everyone must learn this. The drums don't really matter - it's easy to get them to sound good - trust me.

Definetly. I`ve done the same and advice my students to do the same. I`ve got a Catalina kit which costs less than some of my snares. I want a nice US kit and it`s not too far away, but the snare and cymbals are where it`s at after a good throne, BD pedal and hi-hat stand.

I`d go with:
- 14" A Custom Mastersound hats
- 22" A Custom Ride
- 22" K Ride
- 17" A Custom Crash

If I could have one more it would be probably be my K hats, but honestly I can`t live like this. I need another crash, a splash and my darling china. So that probably means I`d check out some crash rides or something.

AA" Regular Hats
17" Inch Medium Thin AA Crash
20" K Custom Dark Ride
20" AA Raw Ride

I'd be very comfortable with that because it's the one I've got. The first 3 pieces get me through just about anything I need at the moment. The AA Raw is hardly as versatile but it's fun when it has an opportunity! Although it's my favourite pie its place is limited - it may be replaced in a desert island 4 piece only setup when my 18" Istanbul Om Crash arrives...

14" Stage Hats
20" AAX Stage Ride
18" HHX-Plosion Crash
18" AAX-Plosion Crash

Two of the four i already own, that being the Stage Hats and AAX-Plosion Crash. I should be adding the HHX-Plosion in a few weeks ( still getting the money together for it).

I regularly play with only 4 cymbals, however I do vary them occasionally depending on the sounds i want to achieve.

14" Zildjian A New Beat Hats
18" K Custom Session Crash
18" K Custom Dark Crash
20" Paiste Giant Beat Multi
20" Zildjian K Ride

or swap in
14" Paiste Giant Beat Top/2002 Sound Edge Bottom hats
18" A Custom Crash
19" A Custom Crash
18" Paiste Sound Formula Full Crash

I currently play a four piece set up

14" ZHT Hi Hats- will be replaced soon
18" A Zildjian Medium Thin Crash (circa 1985)- A crack has started appearing at the base of the bell so this needs to be replaced....SOON!!!
20" A Zildjijan Ping Ride (Circa 1985)
19" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Crash

Dream Set up- Upgrade from current set up

14" Zildjian A Series New Beat Hi Hats
18" Zildjian K Medium Thin Dark Crash
22" Zildjian K Ride
19" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Crash

Back