Durable stick sugestions. Please help.

Well I took a chance and checked out 5 different models of Vater and regardless of durability (which isn't my particular issue with VF) - I'm sticking with Vic Firth.

The Vaters I tested were so horribly balanced that they now will make nice tomato stakes.

That Zildjian stick you liked, do you happen to remember the shape of the tip? Because from the letters described, the Dennis Chambers sticks could be a possibility. Especially with their broad shoulder to make them more durable

That Zildjian stick you liked, do you happen to remember the shape of the tip? Because from the letters described, the Dennis Chambers sticks could be a possibility. Especially with their broad shoulder to make them more durable

I still have the Zildjian stick and the Beach boys stick. The beach boys stick turns out to be a very rare Promark Dennis Wilson drumstick. To bad i used it when i was younger and ruined it :/ the Zildjian stick is a 5A. Both are in the photo. The Zildjian is the top one and the Promark is the bottom one.

Attachments

• stick.png
    stick.png
    331.9 KB · Views: 151
This might be a stupid idea but i taped the top of my stick with electrical tape.(the top half and not the tip). And i tried to tape both stix pretty even so they woudnt be unbalanced. The sticks felt different but thats just becouse they are heavier to the front. This doesn't stop the sick from breaking if you are hitting the drum. But the wood wont get any marks from rimshots or cymbals. The tape are. So you just have to rewrap your sticks sometimes and you are good to go...

I´m a Swedish fourteen year old so my english is what it is...

sverige has a good education system, an exquisite idea

This might be a stupid idea but i taped the top of my stick with electrical tape.(the top half and not the tip). And i tried to tape both stix pretty even so they woudnt be unbalanced. The sticks felt different but thats just becouse they are heavier to the front. This doesn't stop the sick from breaking if you are hitting the drum. But the wood wont get any marks from rimshots or cymbals. The tape are. So you just have to rewrap your sticks sometimes and you are good to go...

I´m a Swedish fourteen year old so my english is what it is...

I used to do this all the time but i ended up having to clean up bits of tape off the floor, from between the hoops and the heads and having to clean tape residue off my cymbals all the time, it's a shame it's so messy because sticks last forever when you do it.

So close to 3 months later and i am still on my first pair of Vaters. Vic Firth needs to seriously fix their sticks!

+1

I switched to Vater sticks 5-6 months ago. I'm using SD9's right now and I couldn't be more happy with the durability and feel. I used Vic Firths for like 10 years prior to that, but during the last 6 months all my VF sticks just snapped at the exact same spot... I prefer Vater now.

If you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em. But, :) I have been playing with 2 different sets of VF sticks (1heavier/1 lighter), and they have proven themselves to be exceptional...for me. The Dave Weckl signature, and the Steve Gadd signature. Now, it's funny, because I am not a fan of playing "someone else's" stuff; I don't generally buy signature-touting items. But these two pair are my go-to's! If you get a chance, give 'em a whack.

Edit: They are barrel tips though. I didn't think about the type of tip you were using before...

Last edited:
I used Vic Firth sticks for years. Broke a pair every 2-3 weeks. Tried pro mark Japanese oak sticks. I have never broken one. Ever. I end up chucking them after about 3 months because they start to feel unbalanced as the wood chips away. But it takes time. I love them

Back