I want a jazz sound--help!

Mass Hysteria

I want to try and get a clear jazz sound (and not much sustain) out of my Pacific FX set. Any suggestions for drum heads? Should they be different on the top and bottom? What might I do about the snare and bass drum? I used to have a mid-70s Slingerland set with no bottom heads, so I don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks!

Standard jazz kit is coated Ambassadors over clears. (Some like Fiberskyns.)

Tune highish, with the resos higher than the batters.

Also, see Wavelength's post in this thread.

Fiberskyn Ambassador heads have a shorter sustain with a nice warm round sound. Fiberskyn diplomats are a bit more open. Nothing wrong with classic Coated Ambassadors though. I would suggest the same heads all around for a nice even sound.

John Riley here.

Hi Guys - I agree with all the suggestions made so far. Regardless of which combination of heads, it's crucial that each head is perfectly in tune with itself. I find pre 90's drums have less sustain than newer drums because the shells are less true so, with older drums, tune both heads to exactly the same pitch to get a clear tone and maximum sustain. Newer drums are truer and naturally ring more so tune the bottom head higher - I tune my bottom heads a minor 3rd higher - for a pleasing tone and nice, round sustain.

Hope this helps, John

Back