Which is more bang for the buck?

kam

good day master drummers! which is more bang for the buck?

1) Pearl P-202TW Double Pedal (Eliminator specs with black cams.) for $130.00
- Power Shifter
- Double Chain
- Quad Beater
- Floating Spring Pendulum
- Infinite Beater Angle
- Roller Cam Hoop Clamp
- Power Plate

-------------- or --------------------

2) Gibraltar Avenger 6611DB for $140.00

Avenger II Double Pedal
• Double Chain CAM drive system
• Two bearings per drive system
• Easy key access hoop clamp
• Dual surface/self-aligning beater with hardened steel beater shaft.
• Adjustable spring tension
• ROCK Stabilizer Plates with Velcro
• Dual Surface Beaters

thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• p2011-12-31145744.jpg
    p2011-12-31145744.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 445
  • g222901375_222219414bfcf5ce705154926c446d6308a55f3d1cd340a9c.jpg
    g222901375_222219414bfcf5ce705154926c446d6308a55f3d1cd340a9c.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 386
What I've found out for myself is regardless of the research I've done beforehand - the moment I'm stomping a pedal with my own feet will be the moment when I know for sure (and in most cases - within seconds) whether a specific pedal is to my liking. I've also learned that the price/specs/nice pics/fancyness of pedals has _zero_ relation to the happiness factor a pedal provides for _my_ feet. So whatever you're considering - to avoid any disappointment afterwards - try it before you buy it. From my experience: I checked some fancy pedals and was shocked within seconds to see how much I dislike them while other (mostly cheaper) pedals felt totally ok but simply had the "flaw" to look un-fancy or boring (but could do everything I'd expect from a "reasonable" pedal).

Also, (double) pedals are so essential a hardware element that you shouldn't set your price limit too low. You can buy great pedals for a moderate price though. Just don't let yourself be distracted by a small price difference towards a cheaper pedal which in the longer run would result in less playing fun/longevity etc. Saving a few bucks now might result in more frustration later.

Another thing to keep in mind: the Pearl pedals are kind of old. They are the generation before the current models that are out now. So unless you know that they werent abused, and were well maintained, give them a good looking over.

The Gibraltars are the current model, but they couldve also been abused and not maintained well either. I have a set of Gibraltar ROCK pedals(late 90's-early 2000's)that I have never had a problem with, just a few squeaks here and there, but nothing a little oil cant get rid of. Like the other two gentlemen below me said, try them out. If you can, check the bearings, the play, etc. if it seems like theres too much play in the u-joints, the bearings, or even the footplate bearings/connections, pass, save up a little more green, and hold out for another, better quality set of pedals. Just my opinion, though.

The P202's have been discontinued for over a decade now. Very good pedals, the predecessor to the Eliminators. If the condition is very good, I would take it. The Avenger is a very average pedal.

Back