I'm just gonna throw this out there...Pearl Drums are the BEST!

Historically, the reason you see those Pearl-type arms everywhere is because everyone copied Pearl to begin with. Pearl in this respect is like Microsoft and Windows, either their copyright didn't stop people from infringing on the design, or they just licensed it to everybody who wanted it, I don't know. I think Pearl thought theirs was an improvement on the Rogers Memri-loc system, which was the same principle, but a slightly different and lighter design (very cool though on a nice Rogers Big R kit!).

And Pearl, like Nikon for cameras, may be stuck with it because so many people can continue to use the old stuff, or buy new stuff and it all works together. Not a bad scenario for a drum company. Ludwig did the same thing by staying with their designs for years too.

I agree with Carmine - everybody makes good drums. And all the good drums more or less fall in the same price range. Once you've saved up all your money, you might as well buy what you want, they'll all be good. Although until now (with those used Exports cluttering up my drum room), I've never owned a Pearl kit. I think what turned me off was my first summer marching with a drum corps and we were the first to get the first batch of Pearl marching drums. I hated them with a passion, they're were so badly designed and we had to modify parts or get new parts altogether. They'vesure come a long way in that department, though.

what's so good about them?
the quick release wing nuts from pearl are awesome- i'm going to put them on any future stands I buy!
Because once you set the amount of play, it stays the same every time. You just tighten the wing nut down until it is tight. Plus they look pretty mean. Buy what you like. They work great for me. :)

I have an old 80's Export I was given about a year ago. My thoughts?

The mounting hardware is fine. It's got the 'big tubes' and the intrusive mounts but I don't mind it too much. It takes getting used to and it's not as elegant as (say) Yamaha's mounting hardware but it is solid and functional. For its time it's great but now it's a little outdated. I wouldn't buy a new kit with the 'big tube' hardware if I had the choice and I certainly wouldn't get anything with ISS mounts. They are a dreadful idea and Pearl have done nothing to rectify this in the last ten years aside from knocking them down a range or two.

The shells on my old Export are ok. Not stellar. There's some ply separation and the inside of the shells are painted with a cheap sealer because the quality of the wood isn't particularly high but these drums were built over twenty years ago when the standards expected of mid-level kits were much lower. For their time, these are fine drums.

Twenty-five years ago, I would've recommended these drums as new. Age hasn't been particularly kind to them but the hardware and shells are still fine. The chrome has pitted but I live in England (read, humid climate) and they were stored in a loft for years. It cleans up reasonably well but isn't the same quality as Premier's chroming. The old stands are still excellent and I use them every day.

I like my old Exports. I still think Pearl make great shells and their hardware (mounting hardware aside) is very decent. I wouldn't buy a Pearl kit now but if they changed their mounting system to something a little more modern they'd be on the list.

Maybe Ludwig and Pearl can get together and come up with some better hardware ideas. They seem to know how to build drum shells.
Yes indeed, Both of these companies should go to a hardware convention.
I really do like their drums though.
I think that Yamaha, Tama, and Sonor have led the world in hardware developments.
DW seems to copy ideas from the above three.

Pearl makes nice drums but they are out to lunch when it comes to hardware.
I have nothing more to say on the subject.
The End!

I have a pearl snare stand I use for my rack tom with my 4pc. I love it much better than my Luddy snare stand. Some hardware they make is better than others.

No, it's because they actually adjust space. They alter the universe and everything. Says so right in the title.....

Well in that case they adjust time too. I can see how that would be useful when you're playing.

xanax

The rate of random mutations among humans is pretty well understood. Some mutations are harmful; some are beneficial and some are neutral

Re: xanax

The rate of random mutations among humans is pretty well understood. Some mutations are harmful; some are beneficial and some are neutral

World's.worst.spammer.

Incidentally, rate of random mutation is not a terribly well understood phenomenon but it appears to be related to population size. Smaller gene pool equates to a higher mutation rate. This is one factor amongst many but explains species explosions that occur after mass extinction events. Could it be that the human species is just too large for population-scale mutations to manifest significantly in non-isolated populations such as the majority of humans now?

No, it's because they actually adjust space. They alter the universe and everything. Says so right in the title.....
'Tis ok AJ, I'm having a joke with sticks about his round obsession, & his thinly disguised Saturns & DW hardware OCD, lol! Oh, & his stave praise sensitivity (hence my signature for the day). He knows I'm pulling his string, eh sticks?

I love Pearl drums and hardware. I wish I could use a Pearl Optimount with my 12" Gretsch tom because I really do not like the "three-point" suspension system. My Export set with the poplar shells sounds very good. Peace and goodwill.

'Tis ok AJ, I'm having a joke with sticks about his round obsession, & his thinly disguised Saturns & DW hardware OCD, lol! Oh, & his stave praise sensitivity (hence my signature for the day). He knows I'm pulling his string, eh sticks?
I love round things. I do, I do. I am getting less sensitive. Arent I?

after buying my peavey radial pro 1000's i sold my pearl masters and my yamaha absolutes, everyone makes great sounding drums but once you take the lugs and the stress off the shells there is a noticeable difference, ive been down to 1 kit for 8 or 10 years now and cant forsee buying another kit for a while unless i find a deal on a set of roland td20's

after buying my peavey radial pro 1000's i sold my pearl masters and my yamaha absolutes, everyone makes great sounding drums but once you take the lugs and the stress off the shells there is a noticeable difference, ive been down to 1 kit for 8 or 10 years now and cant forsee buying another kit for a while unless i find a deal on a set of roland td20's
So your the one that bought them :)

I love round things.

WHO DOESN'T???

katy-perry-cleavage-2-02182011-08.jpg

Sorry, I had to to do it. :D

I have a hard time ogling Katy Perry due to my intense hatred of her work.

Dang!!! Are those real................................................

Opinions about pearls mounting system?

Back