Abe Cunningham

Everybody listen to the song Change (In The House Of Flies). It's not a big drumming song but it's prabably one of my favorite songs ever. Deftones are one of my favorite bands and Abe surely is a great drummer. His drum sound on My Own Summer is just awesome. White Pony is just amazing.

I just have one very big problem against The Deftones. I've seen them 3 years ago with an opening by A Perfect Circle in Switzerland, and 2 weeks ago the same night and on the same stage than Tool at Rock Im Park in Germany. Both time these bastards didn't even manage to play PASSENGER knowing Maynard was in the backstage. This song is perfection in itself,............but no, apparently they don't like to play it even with Mr James Keenan hangin around !!!

OH MY GOD I LOVE ABE! him and deftones are my favorites hands down. does any body know what the dimensions and heads are for his snare (personally my favorite sound out of snare)

Anchein Vouivra said:
I just have one very big problem against The Deftones. I've seen them 3 years ago with an opening by A Perfect Circle in Switzerland, and 2 weeks ago the same night and on the same stage than Tool at Rock Im Park in Germany. Both time these bastards didn't even manage to play PASSENGER knowing Maynard was in the backstage. This song is perfection in itself,............but no, apparently they don't like to play it even with Mr James Keenan hangin around !!!

Damn... thats my favourite song of theirs. I might go put White Pony on now...

Biz

oh my god i just saw them and guess what they played passenger with out maynerd. They are amazing live ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

OH MY GOD I LOVE ABE! him and deftones are my favorites hands down. does any body know what the dimensions and heads are for his snare (personally my favorite sound out of snare)

He uses a Tama Bell Brass snare and the measurements are 14 in diameter and 6.5 in depth.

Whilst Danny Carey and Josh Freese are freaks and they inspire me everyday, the biggest influence on my playing is this man.

Like a fine chef he knows how to make a song taste so damn good. Adding flaour where necessary, then when it needs to pack a punch, he hits you with some outrageous bass/snare patterns. His grooves are so infectious and muso's who don't play drums always seem to give props to the man when they hear him play.

Just saw them live a few weeks ago in melbourne, got a great side on view of him bashing away, he hits like a boxer, yet he grooves his ass off.....

I see the alient antfarm drummer has been added, yet Abe cunningham is left out???????????????????????????????????

CAN HE PLEASE BE ADDED TO DRUMMERWORLD.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he should defintly be on Drummer World, I was really suprised when i couldnt find him...He is an awesome drummer and always makes the best patterns for deftones..he defintly completes the band...

Another one of my favs. Whats funny about him is that I used to listen to him before I started playing drums and think to myself 'God this is the easiest stuff to play.'

Then of course when I learned what I was doing, I was able to hear his drumming under another light. For instance, all of his geniously placed ghost notes as well as his crazy swinging 16th hihat grooves.

And yes... that SNARE! Abe was rocking OCDP way before Mr.Barker was and the recordings prove it. Those heavy ass Z Custom hats accompanied with that vented snare and wet ass bass drum made for some of the best recorded grooves I've ever heard.

Abe is my favourite drummer of all time and I will attempt to explain why. I started drumming when nu-metal was in its ascendency, Nu-Metal (in my opinion) was saturated with lots of good drummers (albiet shit music) who I could have chose to learn from. I picked Abe because I connected with Deftones style and I knew I could feel how visceral Abes beats were, they were picked perfectly every time and I just wanted to know what it would be like to play like that. I still can't play half his stuff and it's been what, 8 years now?? I can get the general feel of his songs but if you want to match him beat for beat you've got a job on your hands and so will half the people who would class him as average because he doesn't abuse a double bass like the various showmen of metal. If you watch Abe live or see him just messing around on the skins you'll witness him come out with all sorts of crazy grooves, sometimes in a more funky or drum bass style than would fit the Deftones, but he has a lot of tricks up his pocket. Grade A drummer, knows how to fit tight subtle grooves around rudimentary metal guitar riffs, was always about the music, helped make a metal band and never showed off in the process, mad energy on stage, perfect choice for the Deftones.

oh and his snare on atf is a 6x14 Vented 20 ply OCDP Snare with 4 2 inch vents

Last edited:
I'm going to resurrect this thread as I was just listening to their self-titled album and it reminded me of the moment I became aware of how good Abe is...I was listening to the radio when the album was about to come out and they played 'Bloody Cape', and I heard that fill before each chorus...it's just so cool!

If you don't know which one I mean, it comes in at 1.17, 1.57, and 2.17...

...funny how it's all 7s, isn't it?

The whole track is brilliant though, one of my very favourites.

WOW it is very funny . Abe is my favourite drummer of all time and I will attempt to explain why. I started drumming when nu-metal was in its ascendency,

Abe was definitely doing something that most drummers weren't at the time. I vividly remember listening to Adrenaline and Around the Fur and thinking, "what the hell is he doing?!?!?" I mean you could follow (imagine in your head) what David Silveria (Korn) or John Otto (Limp Bizkit) were doing, but Abe's drumming was extremely original.

Going to resurrect this thread because Diamond Eyes needs some love in here. Some amazing drumming on this album - even more so than Abe's previous efforts. You've Seen The Butcher, Prince, Beauty School... highly recommended.

Saw them recently when they were touring Alice In Chains, and going to try going to see them again when they come around in a few months. He's fun to watch.

Often if I'm playing along with a track just for fun, it's a Deftones track.

I seen them on the White pony tour. What I love is it grooves, EXCELLENT snare sound, and his dynamic really contrasts Chinos voice.

Maynard came out and sang Passenger with them, that was cool. After their set it was Tool. Good times.

For those who were asking, Abe uses Evans Heads, Tama Drums, he used OCDP snares in the first two albums, a Tama Iron Cobra double-Pedal, which he uses SUBTLY on a lot of Deftones songs, Zildjian cymbals, and Pro-Mark Sticks. And Abe isn't unoriginal, listen to Knife Party from White Pony.

For those who were asking, Abe uses Evans Heads, Tama Drumming Lessons, he used OCDP snares in the first two albums, a Tama Iron Cobra double-Pedal, which he uses SUBTLY on a lot of Deftones songs, Zildjian cymbals, and Pro-Mark Sticks. And Abe isn't unoriginal, listen to Knife Party from White Pony.

Sweet. I'll soon be having the same drum set as well. Well Abe is one of the drummers I admire whenever he is on the roll and banging and drumming.

Last edited:
Back