"Technical Rider" help

minderaser

I've just been asked to provide a technical rider to a booking company - now this is something I've never experienced. Now I know a sound guy is going to expect things like drum mics go without saying..... right??
How about monitors?
Its for the whole band, so exactly how idiot proof do I need to make this thing?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

make a stage plot for the guy. Google stage plot and there will be all sorts of templates to use.

F

If you need it, I'd list it. I wouldn't take anything for granted or assume that they'll automatically provide it. Sure, it's more likely than not that the vast majority of what you'll require will already be on their list. But at least no-one can can say they weren't informed if you put your full inventory requirements forward from the outset. Prepare properly and ensure no "surprises" on the night. That's what the tech rider is for in the first place.

Everything should be listed and drawn on a stage plot as detailed as possible. Mics, stands, DIs, monitors, amps, etc.

Be sure to specify "no red Skittles." :)

Depends on how "high end" your band is. This can be anything from a simple backline description of a 5pc drum kit, 1 bass amp, 2 guitar amps, etc, to a very involved list of particular equipment.

Since you're asking, I'm guessing that you're not in the category of spec'ing particular brands and sizes. They probably just want to know what of the backline you'll be using. e.g. 2 or 3 guitar amps, if a Hammond is expected. Is this a fly in? Were you planning on bringing the basic backline supplements of snare, kick pedal and cymbals? Or are they providing everything to spec.

Stage plot will also put you in good stead with the venue and sound provider. Who stands where, what they play, vocal mics needed, and so on. List positions by instrument, not names. The sound guy won't know who Larry is. But he can tell the bass player from the guitarist, keyboardist, or lead singer. So when you show where the bass player stands, and that they need a vocal mic, the patch monkey and FOH guys will know what's up.

Back