Turning Points?

The first real change was when my sister introduced me to Dream Theater somewhere in 2002 (believe the song was Overture 1928). At that time i listened a lot to Status Quo, Queen and Dire Straits (and still do). Played along to their tracks and helped me develop a sense of time and how to play. Back then i was also into Nickleback (i know, the horror) and ventured into punk and melodic metal. But after i heard a couple of DT songs i was hooked on how different it sounded and how Mike Portnoy played the drums, especially double bass and odd-times. Opened a whole new world for me and introduced me to other drummers like Virgil Donati, Marco Minneman, Mike Mangini, Terry Bozzio, Simon Phillips etc.

The 2nd real turning point was when i got the Methods and Mechanics 2 dvd from Todd Sucherman somewhere in 2011/2012. Made me re-evaluate my playing and also gave me more insight into 'playing the song', playing with more dynamics, ways to use different fills and how to make statements etc. I regularly watch his dvds just to soak up all the info. Also around that time really got into Benny Greb's playing (and still am) and made me aware on how much you can do with little. And also the importance of a solid groove. Having said that, i still like to have a big set ;)

‘68 I saw Hendrix(MMitchell) and Soft Machine(Robert Wyatt, drums) and could not get over the fact that each band only had one drummer! That did it for me-I had to get some drums!

Back