Beato Soft Cases - A Tight Fit?

RobertM

Platinum Member
Just wondering if anyone else has had this possible problem.

I have a set of Beato soft-shell cases that provide, in my opinion, too snug a fit for my 10" and 12" Yamaha and Mapex toms. Both toms have YESS-like tom devices mounted to the shell and thus protrude outwards. When I purchased these cases, the drum shop I used was well aware of my tom sizes and the mounting styles of both drum companies; still, the shop said 10" and 12" Beato cases would be fine.

Upon placing my toms in the cases, I've discovered that the case stretches noticeably out and over the YESS and Mapex tom devices; it is not like simply dropping a tom in the case sans a RIMS-like mounting device.

Is this normal? Will this stretching effect pose any damage to my toms with the cases fitting the toms too tight? Will the snug fit put too much pressure on the YESS mount and Mapex ITS mount attached to the toms?

Thanks!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this possible problem.

I have a set of Beato soft-shell cases that provide, in my opinion, too snug a fit for my 10" and 12" Yamaha and Mapex toms. Both toms have YESS-like tom devices mounted to the shell and thus protrude outwards. When I purchased these cases, the drum shop I used was well aware of my tom sizes and the mounting styles of both drum companies; still, the shop said 10" and 12" Beato cases would be fine.

Upon placing my toms in the cases, I've discovered that the case stretches noticeably out and over the YESS and Mapex tom devices; it is not like simply dropping a tom in the case sans a RIMS-like mounting device.

Is this normal? Will this stretching effect pose any damage to my toms with the cases fitting the toms too tight? Will the snug fit put too much pressure on the YESS mount and Mapex ITS mount attached to the toms?

Thanks!

Soft cases as in 'bags'?

Why would you want drum bags to fit tight? Think about it. There's less protection (imagine a skin-tight pair of jeans versus a baggy pair). Better yet, try it out, put your small tom in your next-larger sized bag and throw it around.

All my drum bags are a size over (12" bag for a 10" tom etc.). IMO you could safely use a 13" bag for a 10" tom, especially if you've got large suspension hanging bits busting-out from the shell.

The benefits of larger bags are increased protection, ease of insertion/extraction (which is a biggie), they stack better on carts and are much easier to grab hold of, they don't roll around etc, etc.

Back