Floor tom too low

drums137

Hi everyone, I have a set of tama superstar hyperdrives (great drums btw) but I'm 6'2 and the 14x12 floor tom is just too low to play comfortably. I use to sit fairly low so it wasnt an issue when I got the drums a few years ago but lately I've been sitting higher and it has gotten to the point where I just use the drum to hold my iphone and towel. I was thinking of buying the pearl lg40l extra long floor tom legs but they seem to be discontinued because I can't find them anywhere, also would they fit my current floor tom brackets? Wouldn't the chrome legs look kinda odd with the black nickel hardware? I'm open to any suggestions.Thank you

Get a hold of your local Tama dealer and ask them to order you a set of longer floor tom legs. They just started making these after many attempts by quite a few of us frustrated players requesting them. I had the exact placement problem with my 14" x 12" Starclassic Bubinga floor tom. The longer legs are two inches longer than the stock legs and come in chrome or black nickel. The set I got were the black nickel. I'm not sure where you're located, but they had mine at their warehouse in Bensalem, PA. I had them in two days.

The picture shows the shorter legs that had to always be adjusted to the very top of the leg supports.

DSC_0145-3.jpg

Dennis

Thanks for all the quick responses. Bo unfortunately I don't have any spare snare stands to try it out and whatever I do to the 14" floor tom I will do later on for the 16" for them to match so having both floor toms on snare baskets would look odd plus it's two extra stands I need to carry around. Dennis I'm gonna visit my local Tama dealer to see if I can order the floor tom legs through them but they always take forever with any special order thing thats why I would rather just order them online, btw if you don't mind me asking how much did floor tom legs cost so I know if I'm getting ripped off when I go order them? Also two extra inches would probably be enough but they'll be maxed out and if I ever feel like sitting a little higher the tom would be useless again so if there are any other suggestions I'm open to anything; btw does are some beautiful drums you got there Dennis probably one of my favorite tama sparkle finishes. Thanks

Bull, I believe the picture of Audiotech's drums were taken before he installed the longer legs. Bo Eder, I have thought about mouting them since I have a gibraltar rack but with gauger rims mount because tama doesn't offer star cast mounts with 6 lugs for a 14" floor tom and I've always loved mounted floor toms but it's gonna be pretty expensive, maybe I'll try ordering those longer floor legs first. Btw if i don't find the tama ones would the pearl lg40l legs fit my tama's brackets? Also if there are any more suggestions I'm open to anything. Thanks

You can also put that tom on a stand.
Here I have mounted a 12x14 and a 12x16 on a double stand.
I can set these as high as I want.
This stand is made by Tama.
It was designed to be lower than a rack tom stand for floor toms.

Attachments

• 1231011627a.jpg
    1231011627a.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 632
I can't find the receipt, but I believe they were around $75 for the three legs. I don't believe that you'll find them on the Internet, in fact most drum stores don't know that they're available. If you go to the Tama Forum and do a search, you'll see a lot of threads concerning their floor tom legs being too short for proper placement and I'm also sure that one of the mods there made a comment on their list price. What happened with me was, I was contacted by Hoshino in Bensalem, PA that they indeed started making longer replacement legs for their floor toms. I then contacted my nearest Tama dealer telling them that they were available and to give them a call to place my order. Two days latter I received a phone call saying they were sitting in the Five Star shop waiting to be picked-up. When I stopped by to get them, only the sales person who made the contact with Tama knew that they were actually available.

The photo I used was a stock picture when I first received my Bubinga drums with subsequent pictures of any additional drums that I may add. I take these for both instructional and insurance reasons as soon as I can after bringing my drums home, so yes, what you see are the original stock legs on both floor toms. I only replaced the legs on the 14" x 12" because at the height that I wanted to put my drum, the legs wouldn't touch the floor, lol.

Here's an earlier picture showing better detail of the 14 x 12 floor tom sitting at the very top of it's legs.

DSC_0415-1.jpg

Dennis

Back