Anyone actually PREFER nontraditional sizes and/or setups?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
There has been a lot of talk recently about traditional sizes vs. non-traditional sizes, especially in regards to resale value. However, on the flip side of this, do you have a preference for non-traditional sizes or set-up?

Through a lot of trial and error, I think I have found my perfect sizes in regards to traveling.

Ludwig Centennials - American Maple shells.

12 x 8 rack tom
16 x 14 floor
20 x 20 kick

I love the bigger toms with a smaller kick. First, the shallow-ish rack tom combined with a 20" kick makes the rack tom placement INCREDIBLY comfortable. Look how close it is in regards to the snare:

77023EB1-6C50-4F38-9096-F06D931FF98B_zpsvqnkojmv.jpg

In addition, when I've seen 20" kicks, I see them oftentimes paired with 10" rack tom and/or especially a 14" floor tom. While 14" floor times are nice, they are no 16" IMO. I simply love a 16". I love how the 20" kick is paired with a 16" floor. I NEVER see this pairing in new drum sets; I feel it's pretty uncommon and nontraditional.

fc158107-4e23-4804-bf8b-a6f01b9f6568_zpsbmdedxlz.jpg

How about you? Is there anything nontraditional and/or unconventional in your setup that you prefer?

I simply love a 16". I love how the 20" kick is paired with a 16" floor. I NEVER see this pairing in new drum sets; I feel it's pretty uncommon and nontraditional.

As I have been getting into Rogers drums I have noticed that this is a more common setup. Many of the vintage setups with 20" bass drums came with a 16" floor tom instead a 14".

As for non-traditional sizes, don't care for them at all. I don't really like smaller toms. My toms go 13-16 but I do tend to favor tried and true when it comes to my setups so I'm pretty boring.

Nothing at all radical, but I'm trying to pair a 14x10 with a 24x14. I've seen very few people use this pairing, most people go with a 13x9.

I agree 100% on the toms. Never cared for 14"fl, ever. Never played one I like. The 12x8 is my fave, but you lost me on the bass drum. Its always been 14" deep, in fact I may be trying a 20x12 soon...love your kit!!

I'm a traditional-size guy (mostly determined by my physical stature). In the beginning I hated bass drums deeper than 16", but now that I have this 18x22 bass drum (the only non-traditional seized drum I have now), the extra two inches doesn't really bug me that much. Although I do know I've played in venues where an 18" deep kick drum is a little problematic (I know, right?) - so I know if I ever do really small places, the Bonham 16x26 bass drum will come out instead!

I don't like traditional square floor toms: 14x14, 16x16

I prefer a shallower depth, especially on the 16". That one just gets too big as a 16" depth. I can sort of deal with a 14x14 and tune out some of it's boxyness, but the 16" gets way too boxy sounding and the sound gets sucked up by the floor. Making it shorter, like 14 or 13" depth, brings back the mid-tones, opens up its sound and brings back the body to the drums sound without it getting sucked in to the floor.

I also like the sound of the "un-square" toms. Run 12x7 and 16x14, on the main kit; like the sounds of the shorter toms.

I prefer a shallower depth, especially on the 16". That one just gets too big as a 16" depth. I can sort of deal with a 14x14 and tune out some of it's boxyness, but the 16" gets way too boxy sounding and the sound gets sucked up by the floor. Making it shorter, like 14 or 13" depth, brings back the mid-tones, opens up its sound and brings back the body to the drums sound without it getting sucked in to the floor.

I also like the sound of the "un-square" toms. Run 12x7 and 16x14, on the main kit; like the sounds of the shorter toms.

I'm with Tommy and Doc on this one. The sound gets out faster on the shorter tom depths and is more articulated. Stick response is a bit better too. I play a 22" bass drum and the extra inch less of rack tom depth allows for a more ergonomic set up for me. To be honest, I'm not sure what people consider "standard sizes" these days. I would think it's 10x8,12x9, and square floor toms. What's currently working for me is 10x7,12x8,14x12,16x14 and a 22x18 bass. I've been through the big gorilla size toms in the 70's/80's and am not anxious to go back to that at all. To each his own.

T WEAVES...I was considering going with the 16x14 but am nervous to try it. Did you change because the 16x16 was sounding thin, choked, lack of response etc??..I,ve seen them on the floor and don't mind the shallower depth, but that's it.

T WEAVES...I was considering going with the 16x14 but am nervous to try it. Did you change because the 16x16 was sounding thin, choked, lack of response etc??..I,ve seen them on the floor and don't mind the shallower depth, but that's it.

All I played in the 20th century was 16x16's and 18x16's. It was the standard sizes for 2 down at the time if you were playing rock. I can't speak for the jazz cats. I've found with the shorter sizes the desired tone happens quicker both with playing and tuning. All three of my kits have a 16x14 and they sound fantastic to me. The key I've found with modern kits is....If you can find a kit where the 10" rack and the 14" floor actually sound GOOD, then you're pretty much good to go. It better have a dynamic bass drum tone too. :) I would not sweat going to a 16x14 floor. Tune one up in a shop and try it! You might like it. ;)

Funny! I'm seriously hesitating trying a 16x16 or 14x14. Absolutely love the sound of the 16x14 and 14x12 and find them easy to tune. I've had the square sizes in the past and tuning was always iffy by contrast.

Last edited:
I have traditional depth drums and I have deeper shell drums. I suppose it all depends on the drums because I prefer the sound of the Sonorlite floor tom at 16x17, but I've heard other brands at deeper depth and they sound bad.
I'd put that deep Sonorlite floor tom up against any other drum.

I also now have a set of Reference Pure in standard sizes. They sound great, but I wouldn't knock the deeper toms of the Sonors. It's a different sound. The Sonors will bloom into the scariest war drum sound, where the Pures will just get louder. Articulation is similar. I notice barely any difference in depth.
It's all dependant on the drum.

Thinking about it physically, a shorter tom *should* produce a quicker more succinct note as a longer tom tuned the same way.

We excite the batter membrane, and that moves the air under the head... That air has to make it all the way to the reso head and resolve before the full note is realized.

I'm with you on the 16's but i find that 14x14 doesn't bother me. I'm a semi-traditionalist. I like my 20x14 kick and 13x9 rack tom but prefer the 16x14 floor. I can deal with the 20x16 12x8 14x14 setup that they sell nowadays very easily but it's not exactly ideal.

The 14 floor tom has a proper place, and is a 'polite' deep sound, whereas the 16 is totally all-business, in your face deep growl. Really like that.

15 could be just perfect. I'd like to see more 15 toms.

'odd numbers' really do get short shafted in the world of manufacturing. I can't think of anything that is odd numbered and 'standard' ?

I have traditional depth drums and I have deeper shell drums. I suppose it all depends on the drums because I prefer the sound of the Sonorlite floor tom at 16x17, but I've heard other brands at deeper depth and they sound bad.
I'd put that deep Sonorlite floor tom up against any other drum.

I also now have a set of Reference Pure in standard sizes. They sound great, but I wouldn't knock the deeper toms of the Sonors. It's a different sound. The Sonors will bloom into the scariest war drum sound, where the Pures will just get louder. Articulation is similar. I notice barely any difference in depth.
It's all dependant on the drum.

I've got a Sonor Phonic Plus with 15x17 deep FT and a 16x18 deep and I'm with you, they're the best sounding floor toms I've ever heard and they aren't hard to tune either.

I also have a more standard sized Premier Genista, and don't have that much of a preference in terms of the other tom sizes, they're both just different, not better or worse or any easier/harder to tune!

I have used smaller drums for decades now, and for a variety of reasons. One, I am a little guy 5' 5" so it helps me get over the drums for more control. Two, It means the drums are closer to each other meaning less reach and effort, so less fatigue. Three, I love the sound and attack of short stack toms, and as my playing has a latin/Reggae feel it sounds just right to me. Four, the drums are smaller and lighter so easier to carry and store, and they take up less space when set up.

Currently,
20" x 16" BD.
10" x 7"
12" x 8"
14" x 12"
13" x 5" Snare.

One crash is clamped to the Hi-Hat stand, one crash and a splash attached to the tom mount and the ride clamped to one of the tom legs, so no cymbal stands, saves a lot of clutter and weight.

I have 16x26 and 14x26 kicks. Either is fine . I prefer the 16" if I am playing ported and the 14" when unported.

One of my kits has an 11x14 rack the other has a 12x14. I prefer the 11x14. My last kit had what some companies refer to as "fast" rack toms, one inch deeper than "standard",one inch shorter than "power". Those are my favorite sizes.

I mainly like more "traditional" sizes for toms and bass drums. Shallower floor toms are a bit easier to tune to my liking, but I'm fine with deep ones too.

My main kit (which is sidelined right now) is 8x8, 12x8, 15x14, 16x16, 22x16, 14x5.

The 14 floor tom has a proper place, and is a 'polite' deep sound, whereas the 16 is totally all-business, in your face deep growl. Really like that.

15 could be just perfect. I'd like to see more 15 toms.

'odd numbers' really do get short shafted in the world of manufacturing. I can't think of anything that is odd numbered and 'standard' ?

As a recent 15" convert, I can tell you that for ME, 15" is perfect. I have a 16x16 that I use every once in a while, and it sounds like a more articulate 18". I don't care for 14" floor toms - or toms for that matter - at all for the most part (some have surprised me in the past), though at least a 14x14 can give a little bit more cajones. I don't understand the whole 14x11-12 floor tom thing. They always sound too weak to be a floor tom to me, unless it's being mic'd through a decent PA.

Back