Pinstripes or Black Dots

darthwalls

Hey guys I am looking at some new batter heads and can't decide between Pinstripes or Black Dots. I always used Black dots before and my new kit came with Emperor's on top. I just put black Ambassador's on bottom of my Rockstar's and wonder what you might think.

Hey guys I am looking at some new batter heads and can't decide between Pinstripes or Black Dots. I always used Black dots before and my new kit came with Emperor's on top. I just put black Ambassador's on bottom of my Rockstar's and wonder what you might think.

Depends on what music you play and what sound you're looking for, but I would keep the Emperors and work on getting a great sound out of them unless they're so beat you need to change them.

Depends on what music you play and what sound you're looking for, but I would keep the Emperors and work on getting a great sound out of them unless they're so beat you need to change them.

I would second this.

Here's a quick rundown on the basic remo heads;

Emperor = 2 ply 7 mil film - decent sustain, durable
Vintage emp = 2 ply 7.5 mil - A little less sustain, a little heavier sound
Pinstripe = 2 ply, one 10mil, one 5mil + dampening ring - short sustain, Think about godsmack for sound
Ambassador= 1 ply 10 mil - Long sustain, bright sound
Center dot = 1 ply 10 mil + 5 mil dot - Formally known as Controlled Sound, Same as Ambassador just a little less sustain and added durability

As your using ebony ambassadors for your resonant heads, i'd guess that you want a darker tom sound. If that's true, stick with the emperors and play with the tuning a bit, i dont think you'll be disappointed. But if you are you can go for pinstripes.. Or try your luck with Coated Emperor Xs ;) That's a hybrid between controlled sound and emperor (the 2 10 mil plies PLUS the 5 mil dot!!) It's mainly used as a hard hitters' Snare batter.. but if you want REALLY heavy tom sounds.. There it is :)

Last edited:
Personally I like emperor's you may even look into some REMO "vintage" emp's they are a liitle thicker than the standard emp's.

something else too consider...lol

Bonzolead

Thanks guys! I am looking for a deeper sound out of my toms. I play all types of music but more so classic rock. All of the heads on the set were dead when I bought it so I am changing all of them out. I always heard the emps and ambassador combo was great so I think I will give that a try. Thanks again!

Classic rock and 80s rock tend to have a more thumpy sound in my opinion, for that maybe you should try pinstripes. I know a lot of guys used ebony pinstripes over ebony ambassadors and got a great 80s rock sound

Back