Gretsch Maple Renown vs. Tama Superstar

MisterZero

Hey guys, let me bounce this off ya. I am in the market for a new ( used) kit. There are 2 kits that I am interested in. One is a Gretsch Maple renown 4 shell pack. The other is a Tama Superstar. The Tama comes with cymbals, foot pedals, and stands and is a 5-pc kit.
The Gretsch is only 4 drums, no snare or any other equipment. The Tamas are 100.00 more. But I will get much more stuff.

Question: Are Grestch Maple renowns worth the extra money? Are they much better than , say Tama Superstars?

Hey guys, let me bounce this off ya. I am in the market for a new ( used) kit. There are 2 kits that I am interested in. One is a Gretsch Maple renown 4 shell pack. The other is a Tama Superstar. The Tama comes with cymbals, foot pedals, and stands and is a 5-pc kit.
The Gretsch is only 4 drums, no snare or any other equipment. The Tamas are 100.00 more. But I will get much more stuff.

Question: Are Grestch Maple renowns worth the extra money? Are they much better than , say Tama Superstars?

is there any chances of you trying out both kits? i've owned tama's (still do) and they're amazing drums. grestch are good too!

you're from buffalo??? i'm moving to the area next week! :)

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I found these drums in Albany, so I havent been able top play either one of them yet. Albany is about 4 hours away. I found these on Craigslist. You like your Tamas? thats cool, I never played Tamas ever. I hear they are great. Everyone who has ever owned a Tama, loves them.

Thanks.

You're moving to Buffalo, huh? Job related? or do you like snow? :)

Hey.

Gretsch Renown Maple is an excellent series ! I had the chance to play them once and was thrilled. Tama Superstars aren't in the same range as Renown Maple. I'd say Superstars aren't that great. Not a big Tama fan.

But be careful, the Gretsch Renown Maple is great for Jazz and/or funk. Yet, they tend to be small drums that aren't suited for rock players.

If you're willing to invest, I say go for the Gretsch. Good luck !

How much is the tama and what color is it? I have superstars myself and couldn't be happier.

thanksguys!! Dude,you got ther right Craigslist ad!!! Yeah,I think I'll go with the Gretsch. I hear the Maple Renowns are killer. I have no acoustic equipment currently.I play Roland V-drums. Looking for an acoustic....again.

Thanks again.

oh sorry,Razorx,i missed your post..the tamas were reduced to 800, the same ones as the first in your post(from Ballston Spa). I didnt realize he was asking 1,650originally, wow thats quite a disount.

oh sorry,Razorx,i missed your post..the tamas were reduced to 800, the same ones as the first in your post(from Ballston Spa). I didnt realize he was asking 1,650originally, wow thats quite a disount.

Like I said before talk him into dropping the cymbals and invest the money you saved into some new hi quality cymbals. You can make a drum sound great with new heads and tuning buy you can't dramatically change the sound of a cymbal. your stuck with the sound you get.

Thanks, razorx.just sent him an email. I think you're right, I would prefer to add my own cymbals,anyway. That was kind of point, though. I could getthe Tamas for 800, and throw the cymbals in the trash. I would still getmore than the Renowns. But ifthe Gretsch are that much better...

Thanks for your advice.

I think you should get the Renowns. They're professional kits. The Tama probably sounds great but it is an intermediate kit.

Thanks guys. I ithink I will go with the Grestch's.

Thanks Twisted...thats a good deal,too. Maine is a bit far to travel unless I am going on vacation.

I'll let you know how this all plays out when Ii get them....you guys are great!!

I might actually end up getting that Superstar because the owner refuses to ship, but my brother is going out to Maine in a few days anyway so I could just have him ship it back.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I found these drums in Albany, so I havent been able top play either one of them yet. Albany is about 4 hours away. I found these on Craigslist. You like your Tamas? thats cool, I never played Tamas ever. I hear they are great. Everyone who has ever owned a Tama, loves them.

Thanks.

You're moving to Buffalo, huh? Job related? or do you like snow? :)

Somebody else moving to the awful weather here in Buffalo? It better be job related haha otherwise you might want to go to a doctor

No doubt, Zep. WNY isnt exactly a tropical paradise. Cheap housing though. Ive lived in worse places...

Back