my Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple

Are you sure you want to open that can of worms?

I'm curious now....please do open it haha.
I think these Absolute Hybrid Maple should be around in the same class as:
- DW Performance Series (definitely below Collectors)
- Ludwig Classic Maple (?)
- Gretsch Brooklyn Series (?)

and I agree Yamaha Phoenix price tag is ridiculous.
Here in Aus the 22x18 kick drum alone is RRP AUD $7999! (USD 6000).
For JUST the kick drum!

No, these Yamaha drums (as well as their new Recording Custom) are on the same level as pretty much ANY drums out there, except for boutique level drums like Craviotto or Guru. The Phoenix drums would be on par with SQ2, Tama Star, etc.

For JUST the kick drum!

Well, the Yamaha's are hybrid shells with nice finishes, hardware and diecast hoops. I would say their competition could be anywhere from the Tama Starclassic line to the Tama B/B line, though the B/B (hybrid shell, diecast hoops, nice hardware/finishes) checks off more boxes than the Starclassic line. If Tama B/B is a competitor, you have to look at the B/B competition which would be: Gretsch Renown, Mapex Saturn, Yamaha Live Custom, DW Performance, Pearl Masters, etc. All these are high quality Chinese/Taiwanese made drums with the exception of the DW which is made/assembled in the USA.

I respectfully disagree with Tommy D. on his kit comparisons. I owned a Gretsch Brooklyn and currently own a Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple and I would say these two kits are comparable--although the Brooklyn had a severe flaw (tom out of round) which led me to sell them for a loss. As such, I'm not sure what that says about American made drums--maybe nothing--just as I'm sure not all Chinese made drums are created equally.

At the end of the day though, the sound and build-quality of the YAMH is off-the-charts and every musician, sound man, etc., who has come in contact with them -- raves about them.

I respectfully disagree with Tommy D. on his kit comparisons. I owned a Gretsch Brooklyn and currently own a Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple and I would say these two kits are comparable--although the Brooklyn had a severe flaw (tom out of round) which led me to sell them for a loss. As such, I'm not sure what that says about American made drums--maybe nothing--just as I'm sure not all Chinese made drums are created equally.

At the end of the day though, the sound and build-quality of the YAMH is off-the-charts and every musician, sound man, etc., who has come in contact with them -- raves about them.

My hybrids actually replace : gretsch usa custom, c&c player date II, ludwig legacy maple, and a couple of years before DW performance. An expensive journey indeed, although I never really lost any serious money.

IMO they are in a class of their own, a total home run for Yamaha. Sad they seem to get less attention than the RCs.

I would never trade them for anything else, including PHX.

They sound great from the slightest touch tuned high for jazz to a deeeeep thunderous floor tom rumble, with the right head combo of course.

As I have stated before which did not win me any friends, to me a country does not build drums, workers do.

And these guys at the Yamaha factory are some of the best in the industry, period. Excluding Andy of course.

I agree that these are comparable.

I actually own a Brooklyn (traditional bop sized drums) and a 6 piece Hybrid Maple (10,12,14,16 & 20 + snare). They are comparable in terms of quality. Both of my kits are flawless in every aspect and sound phenomenal.

Will also say I owned and played a recording custom from the mid 80's until about 8 years ago. The Maple Hybrid are every bit as killer as the recording customs from the 80's.

View attachment 79836

Last edited by a moderator:

For JUST the kick drum!

6000? For that kind of money you can almost buy a 4 PHX kit both in the US and Europe. All those spiders AND insane high prices, but you do have a beautiful continent.

Beautiful kit Art.

My hybrids actually replace : gretsch usa custom, c&c player date II, ludwig legacy maple, and a couple of years before DW performance. An expensive journey indeed, although I never really lost any serious money.

IMO they are in a class of their own, a total home run for Yamaha. Sad they seem to get less attention than the RCs.

I would never trade them for anything else, including PHX.

They sound great from the slightest touch tuned high for jazz to a deeeeep thunderous floor tom rumble, with the right head combo of course.

As I have stated before which did not win me any friends, to me a country does not build drums, workers do.

And these guys at the Yamaha factory are some of the best in the industry, period. Excluding Andy of course.

I made a similar journey as yours -- and I couldn't agree with you more. I'm so happy with these drums. And really, I have no desire to buy another drum kit which is kind of shocking (especially to my wife) because I had been on a prowl for the next kit for years. This set has cured that issue and I hope all of us experience that one day.

Now if I could curb my cymbal appetite - I'm good to go. ;)

By the way, your kit looks so awesome. That is a beautiful finish!!

Great looking kit - That finish is one of my favorites from Yamaha.

Yamaha is capable of making some very high-quality stuff, including drums obviously. If you love the drums and find they represent a good value to you, that is all that matters.

Great looking kit - That finish is one of my favorites from Yamaha.

Yamaha is capable of making some very high-quality stuff, including drums obviously. If you love the drums and find they represent a good value to you, that is all that matters.

Amen to that, zenghost!

Those are super nice drums! Peace and goodwill.

Not to derail the thread, but a previous poster mentioned he thought the PHX were overpriced and I respectfully disagree. If you get a chance to truly inspect the outstanding build quality, quality of finish and play these in person you will not think they are overpriced.

I have never felt smoother bearing edges on any drum and I have owned most of the flagship models made by the major manufacturers.

Attachments

• Ajax.jpg
    Ajax.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 1,618
Art: what venue is that? Looks like about 500 seats set up for audience, and drums are behind acoustic plastic, and everything mic'd professionally for what looks like recording.

For JUST the kick drum!

Unfortunately, my PHX experience ran counter to Rick's. Not bad drums, but the PHX failed to meet my expectations in more ways than one.

The Absolute Hybrid Maples would be a far superior value in my opinion.

Last edited:
What a beautiful looking set!
I've heard some recordings of that line and they sound terrific.

thought why not revive this thread.....2 years on and still very much in love with this kit.
A couple of recent photos of the kit with updates.

1. 16x15 FT
2. G2 coated batter heads on all toms, needed the warmth.

The venue is my local church, a 500-seater auditorium

Cheers.

Attachments

• AHM1.JPG
    AHM1.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 530
  • AHM2.JPG
    AHM2.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 532
  • AHM3.JPG
    AHM3.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 531