Cheesmer

So Im looking for a fat controlled sound for my snare and right now and im thinking of switching to a remo black suede side head(4 mil) or an evans 500 snare side head(5 mil).
I have the standard remo reso head on. As for the other factors, i have an 8 ply of 6 mm drumcraft series 8 maple 14x6 snare with a remo controlled sound on the batter side which i might switch to an evans hd dry. Any advice?

The new Evans Heavyweight has 2 plys of 10mil film and a reverse dot. That is thick. With a 500 snare side, that will be a fat sounding drum.

I tried an Evans Glass 500 and really didn't like it on either of the snares I tried it on. It made the drums really boxy sounding.

In my experience using pretty much everything including 2-mil, 3-mil, 5-mil, clear, hazy, opaque, and Renaissance-film heads that it's really hard to beat a 3-mil snare-side head.

My two go-to heads are a Remo no collar clear Ambassador and an Aquarian Hi-Performance.

The new Evans Heavyweight has 2 plys of 10mil film and a reverse dot. That is thick. With a 500 snare side, that will be a fat sounding drum.

Have you tried this? That sounds pretty good but with thickness like that Im afraid that it might choke the drum too much causing it to just a dead thud.

I go with an Emperor X and an Aquarian SS. I use a control ring, but I like the fat/powerful sound and I have found it is in the tuning. Cannot crank the batter until the harware is about to explode (which many drummers do).

Have you tried this? That sounds pretty good but with thickness like that I'm afraid that it might choke the drum too much causing it to just a dead thud.

No. Haven't tried it myself. Just saw it in a GC mailer and honestly I didn't even know they made a 500 mil, you might be right, but I would only try it with a wood snare.

Back