Help identify these sticks please

beatkeeper

Hey, I'm just wondering if any of you know how to describe the drum sticks Stella Mozgawa uses in Undertow. There's a video here showing her using double ended sticks with a mallet-beater-thing.

Is it a specific brand, name or size I need to know before trying to find the same ones?

Cheers

Beatkeeper

i tried a pair of sticks like these once and i hated them! because i hold my sticks quite far towards the end the mallet part was hitting hand and getting in the way. to achieve the exact same result with and stick of your choice just get an old cymbal felt (as thick as possible) and just put it on the end. Depending on the size of the stick you may have to force it on but this could stretch the center hole, witch is why i said old felt.

I love Warpaint! One of the best bands out there! Stella Mozgawa is a GREAT drummer...one of the Best Female drummers out there.

Anyway, about the sticks. Those sticks are really un-comfortable. Why not just buy Mallets separately and a good stick holder so you can switch back and forth quickly?

I've used the VF Swizzle stick with the felt end and it's a comfortable stick. I can't remember if it's an SD6 or SD12 (not at home right now to look).

Used them on some recordings and I liked how they sounded.

The 5A Dual Tone probably works well too.

A friend of mine makes his own sticks like this. He went to a fabric store and bought some felt balls that would fit his preferred stick. He just drilled a hole and glued it on.
I would have done the same thing if I had the time to do it before I needed them.

There's actually more variety in the density (hardness) of the mallet head if you check out some tymp mallets though.

Most makers produce very nice mallets.

Sorry, Nodiggie and RockDrummer, you are both wrong. A close look at the sticks (0:43) shows the soft end is cylindrical, not spherical as on the Vic Firth (of which I have a pair). Notice, also, the screws and washer on the end. I would guess he made these.

Back