Video of Peter Wildoer rehearsing for Dream Theater audition

Wildoer

PRO DRUMMER
Hey there!

A few days before the Dream Theater audition I filmed myself playing the songs to evaluate how it sounded. This was never meant to go public but due to the fact that many people want to see more than on the Spirit Carries on documentary I've decided to upload the video. Hope you enjoy it!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJw-8kXBRjI

Another thing, if you guys here fancy my playing a bit, perhaps you could help out to make Drummerworld set up a page for me? ;-) Would be an honor for me!!! :)

More videos here:
www.youtube.com/Wildoerfaren

Official website:
www.peterwildoer.com

Cheers,
Peter Wildoer

Holy crap man!
You're hired!

Damn man.... I hope you really get some publicity for this, especially since you played for Labrie's solo album and did harsh vocals on it as well. You really deserve it, by far one of the better drummers I've seen in today's modern metal, and in all honesty *music* scene. I hope the exposure lands you some pretty sweet gigs, whatever they may be.

That was wonderful Peter! Thank you for sharing that with us. It's cool to see some behind the scenes stuff from the whole ordeal.

How long before the audition did you start preparing? And how did playing the song to a pre-recorded track compare to playing it with Dream Theater?

-Jonathan

Dude, you're on fire!

Do you have any more videos? What band do you play in now? where have you been all this time?

Yes, I vote for bio page on drummerworld fo sho!

Thank you for posting that,well played sir.I also would be interested to know how you prepped for the audition,and what you learned from this experience.

Wonderful stuff Peter! Not only do you have great chops & time, you also have a superb musical dynamic & attitude. If there's any justice in the world, that combination will take you far. Good luck on your journey.

I'll chime in on the ego boosting band wagon with my two cents and say that was utterly fantastic.

I honestly mean it, I am not being snide, you are a wonderful musician Peter, I'll be looking out for what you do next.

Hey!

First of all I want to apologize for my absence on this forum! It's so hard to fit everything into the 24 hours a day. We've (Darkane) been working hard on finish building our new studio. You can see pictures of the studio at my Facebook page www.facebook.com/peter.wildoer

Huge thanks to all of you for your nice comments!!! Makes me very happy and eager to continue developing. THANKS!!!

Some answers and comments to replies in this thread:

That was wonderful Peter! Thank you for sharing that with us. It's cool to see some behind the scenes stuff from the whole ordeal.

How long before the audition did you start preparing? And how did playing the song to a pre-recorded track compare to playing it with Dream Theater?

-Jonathan

I had four weeks to prepare. I did work full time at my day job during this period so most of my spare time I spent first listening and learning the drum parts then rehearsing the songs. Also I practiced quite a bit technique and hand/feet stamina to be in as good shape as possible.

I first started playing along to the album versions of the songs with Portnoy's drums on it. This way I could hear if I got things right. Then I went on to play to the drumless versions of the tracks. I found a drumless version of 'The dance of eternity' on internet that someone had made and then a friend of mine have the Portnoy DVD with the stems (separate drum, bass, guitar, keys and vocal tracks) for 'A nightmare to remember'. This way I could rehearse the songs without Portnoy's drums and make sure I knew the song on my own and just didn't play along to the recorded drums.

It was quite hard to play to the pre-recorded tracks as the tempos fluctuate a bit and there's a lot of tempo changes in the songs. Here's a screen shot from 'The dance of eternity' in Cubase. The black "blur" under the bar numbers are the different meters and the line with dots are the tempo changes, each dot represent a new tempo.

cubase1resized.png

Even though I made this I never got the tempo to fit perfectly to the music. Also I never practiced with a click track to the music but just played to the pre-recorded tracks. This is also what I do in the video and that's why I sometimes gets of from the music. Sorry! ;)

Dude, you're on fire!

Do you have any more videos? What band do you play in now? where have you been all this time?
Yes, I vote for bio page on drummerworld fo sho!

Ha ha, thanks!!! Glad you enjoy the clip. I have some videos on YouTube, just search for Wildoer and you'll get results. Also my Youtube channel is www.youtube.com/Wildoerfaren check it out.

As of now I'm playing with Darkane and next week I'll record two tracks for Marco Sfogli's (guitar player of James LaBrie band) upcoming solo album. I'm also busy with a new project with some friends where I want to explore more than what we do with Darkane. Besides that there are some other projects coming up later this year/early next year. If I had more time for music it would be lots more going on but I work full time as a teacher. My dream is of course to one day live from just music!!!

I've been right here, ha ha ha... ;) Thanks for voting, I would love to get a page here at Drummerworld!!!

Thank you for posting that,well played sir.I also would be interested to know how you prepped for the audition,and what you learned from this experience.

I guess I mentioned in another thread that I've written a quite extensive "diary" of the whole audition experience in swedish. This was ment to be posted beginning of june n a swedish drum magazine but has been postponed. As soon as the magazine is released I'll post an english version on my website.

Peter EXELLENT
I say you are very underrated in the drum community.
Nice relaxed playing also the crossover stuff is cool to add
All the best
Tim

Thanks a lot Tim!!! I do my best to get my name out there but it's not easy. Honored that you comment!

Once again thanks for your time and keep up the great drumming!!!
Cheers,
Peter

Great stuff Peter, loved the feel and use of dynamics.
Thanks for posting!

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. F*%k!

I cannot hold your jock.

Back