Show your wood

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
This thread is for sets with natural wood finish - no stains, colors or fades. Varnish, lacquer or sealant is OK, but nothing that changes the color. Just show your wood, the way nature intended.

Here's my wood. It's harder than anyone's (because it is ironwood) but some people might have bigger wood (kits):

4P9.jpg

100_3626.JPG

100_3631.JPG

100_3638.JPG

3skr.jpg

Last edited:
wow, ironwood is awesome!! below is my Fortune Drums kit built from Keller vintage shells in 10, 12, 14, 14x5, 20 w/ African Ribbon Mahogany. although these are not like the normal "modern vintage" shells they offer that are pretty thick. these are a a special run of 8 ply w/ African Ribbon Mahogany inside and out with a Birch core. there are also thin stock maple rings in graduated widths inside fabbed by Dale at FD. enjoy ! Geoff in Atlanta

RAW SHELLS:
1.jpg

12, 14, 20, 14 x 5 snare:
2.jpg

AS 4-PIECE W/ 12" AS 'FLOOR-TOM':
3.jpg

MOOD SHOT AT NIGHT:
4.jpg

SHOWS THE MAPLE RINGS BETTER:
n596576758_1930195_7033.jpg

wow, ironwood is awesome!! below is my Fortune Drums kit built from Keller vintage shells in 10, 12, 14, 14x5, 20 w/ African Ribbon Mahogany. although these are not like the normal "modern vintage" shells they offer that are pretty thick. these are a a special run of 8 ply w/ African Ribbon Mahogany inside and out with a Birch core. there are also thin stock maple rings in graduated widths inside fabbed by Dale at FD. enjoy ! Geoff in Atlanta

Holy cow, those are gorgeous drums! In cases like this, there is nothing a stain can do to increase the beauty of natural wood.

Thick mahogany/birch shells should give a great balance of attack, warmth and volume.

Why are the shells so long? Is that how they make them, as long cylinders, then cut them in sections?

Holy cow, those are gorgeous drums! In cases like this, there is nothing a stain can do to increase the beauty of natural wood.

Thick mahogany/birch shells should give a great balance of attack, warmth and volume.

Why are the shells so long? Is that how they make them, as long cylinders, then cut them in sections?

yeah that is how the drum makers get them or can order them...they they just cut them up. i guess this has to be carefully planned out, ordered, etc. i will as Dale how he does this part. i forgot to mention that these are just lightly finished w/ some oil / seal. the only thing stained at the BD hoops which were crafted to match using (maple) hoops. it's seamless & amazing work.

i really want a zebrawood kit next w/ a 18" kick.

So, my next kit, ready in about a month ( i just can't wait to have it )
And the color with oil finish.
I'll get yamaha style hoops to on toms.

fp8roi.jpg

ri6z4h.jpg

Here's my Gretsch Renown Purewood OAK!
S5030713.JPG
Btw, ignore the Robocop. It was strategically placed there to irk the wife.

Wow... Those are gorgeous Adam. Very cool. I have a Yamaha Oak, but it's Honey Amber and thus not appropriate for this thread ;) I love the oak grain.

Clean! Very nice LOOKING Kit!
Is that your main snare?
Thanks! It's not my main gigging snare right now, but it is one of my "go to" snares. Actually, this is my recent favourite, & right for this thread too. Totally natural finished ebony stave, kindly made for me by Dean @ Guru Drumworks. It really is a monster rimshot backbeat machine, & the ebony grain is just beautiful in the flesh. Why would you ever stain something like this! Anyhow, I've never heard of a drum made in ebony, & it probably rivals DMC's ironwood for weight too, lol!

Attachments

• CIMG6017-Optimized.JPG
    CIMG6017-Optimized.JPG
    485.8 KB · Views: 4,226
  • CIMG6027-Optimized.JPG
    CIMG6027-Optimized.JPG
    499.8 KB · Views: 4,300
  • CIMG6024-Optimized.JPG
    CIMG6024-Optimized.JPG
    458.9 KB · Views: 4,237
that is gorgeous...then it makes sense to play them while nude in that pastoral setting, heh.
Hahaha, I'm not sure my wife would agree with that. It would certainly frighten the wildlife!

---------------------------------
Nice blonde there ShortBus. There's something so beautiful in the simplicity eh?

Here's my Gretsch Renown Purewood OAK!
Now that's probably one of the most striking grained oak kits I've ever seen, Stunning! Must be a faster growing variety like red oak or similar. Love it!

Was it stained Honey Amber, or is that the natural wood color?

I don't know... Probably a stain.

Latz, that is an awesome looking drum... How did you get the grains to turn on those segments? Were they steam bent then dried or what? Very creative.

Back