Hurricane Susan

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Here we go again.In the last couple of years we've been having an increase of what they now call "significant weather events",in the northeast.I can deal with the snow in winter,and the occasional noreaster,but this new "perfect frankenstorm" has me a bit worried.

I always trust my instincts with these "weather events"and this one has me worried.

I'm glad Florida was spared the true brunt of the hurricane,and thank the weather gods that it moved out quickly.

But now,it's slowing WAY down,and rapidly expanding.It's likly to linger for a couple of days.Staten Islanders are already in full panic mode,and buying batteries,bread,eggs mikl and water(i'll never buy water as long as they make water filters) like it was the end of the world.How you can drink 4 gallons of milk,and 6 loaves of bread before it goes bad is beyond me.

At any rate..best of luck and stay safe to all my fellow forum members that are in harms way.I'm sticking it out...till they tell me I have to evac.Thank the weather gods I have OEM training.:)

Steve B

Yeah they're calling for snow in Western PA early next week. Today it's sunny and 75 degrees. Ah, the old run to the store for nutritionless white Wonder Bread and 2 percent milk !! Must be a storm a-brewin'! Good weekend to stay indoors and play some drums!

ps. I hear you're losing the Islanders in a couple years? Say it ain't so...

We in florida are always happy to be spared, but this one is headed right to my sons house in Maryland. Everyone have good thoughts for the east coast folks.

We have had our fair share in Louisiana. I still would not wish this on anyone. Please be safe. I hope everyone will be ok.

Whos Susan? This one is Sandy.

DC's supposed to get it tomorrow night thu Monday. Uprooted trees & power outtages for sure.

Whos Susan? This one is Sandy.

DC's supposed to get it tomorrow night thu Monday. Uprooted trees & power outtages for sure.

Steve got the names sorted about 8 hours ago :)

Scary business - hope it weakens as it approaches the coast ... btw, isn't it a weird time of year for hurricanes?

I may actually get in on this storm, which is a rare thing for any sort of Hurricane / Tropical Storm to get us up here.

Used to not seeing much sun in these parts and snow in October isn't uncommon. Even some rain for a solid 3-5 days in a row happens from time to time.

If I've gone missing for a few days you'll know I've lost power - which is extremely inconvenient at most. Nothing catastrophic.

All of this being said, nothing the folks along the coastlines aren't used to dealing with on a much larger and severe scale.

This totally sucks.

My business was decimated by Hurricane Irene ast year. We had 46" of water inside the factory for almost 3 full days. Over 300K in damage.

The nearby neighborhood of Paterson NJ was devastated as well. There were blocks and blocks of low income housing that were wiped out. There was furniture on the city streets for weeks.

The anguish and human suffering seemed like something out of the Third World.

I pray with all my heart that we do not get anywhere near a repeat of last years tragedy.

This totally sucks.

My business was decimated by Hurricane Irene ast year. We had 46" of water inside the factory for almost 3 full days. Over 300K in damage.

The nearby neighborhood of Paterson NJ was devastated as well. There were blocks and blocks of low income housing that were wiped out. There was furniture on the city streets for weeks.

The anguish and human suffering seemed like something out of the Third World.

I pray with all my heart that we do not get anywhere near a repeat of last years tragedy.
Sounds terrible Jeff. Did you manage to recover your business losses? How about your new house? Even more important, your new drum room. Is that out of harms way in terms of flood threat?

I'm here in DC and I'm not sure if its supposed to arrive today or tommorow. We've had our share of good storms in the last 5 years but they've always been much, much weaker than predicted. The problem we face is Pepco, our energy provider, is an abomination. If Mother Nature even looks at us funny, we lose power for days. I give Susan, Sandy or whoever, 2 hours before power is out.

For what it's worth, and this is just my opinion of course, but this stuff is the wet dream of every news station, especially for the weather channels. Fear sells and keeps people tuned in. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:
I am in the direct path of the hit. I mean on the news, it says it's headed straight for Larryace's house, no lie lol. Thankfully my house sits on relatively high ground, plus I have a generator but my big concern is trees falling on my house, with my wife and kids in it. I hope the winds come from the southeast, but I think they will be coming in from the northeast, the wrong direction according to how my trees are leaning and their relation to orientation of my house. Damn huricanes and their counter clockwise spin in the northern hemisphere. I wonder if Locust trees makes a good tonewood. My back yard is predominantly Locust trees. Andy ever experiment with locust wood? Gotta look for the positive, right? I'll make a kit from downed trees and name her Sandy.
If this should be my last communique, please make sure that my grave is kept clean.

Last edited:
Here is the latest map'

Attachments

• lg_aatrack.jpg
    lg_aatrack.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,297
Being from SE Europe I've never experienced a hurricane and I can just imagine how dangerous one might be but I hope all my fellow drummers with their families and friends are staying safe and in good helth during the hurricane. Best of luck and take care!

Last edited:
stay safe guys

here in Jersey we are prepared for the worst and hoping for the best

I am in the direct path of the hit. I mean on the news, it says it's headed straight for Larryace's house, no lie lol.

I was thinking that you'd be right in line. Fingers crossed!

As well as the locust trees, is there much good wood in your house? ;-)

I'm here in DC and I'm not sure if its supposed to arrive today or tommorow. We've had our share of good storms in the last 5 years but they've always been much, much weaker than predicted. The problem we face is Pepco, our energy provider, is an abomination. If Mother Nature even looks at us funny, we lose power for days.

I hate that. Can't you change companies? We privatised our electricity and I have stuck with the group who were formerly public owned and they're solid. Had a loss of power in a storm earlier this year when the wind (weirdly) spilt a tall conifer in half and that half feel on the main line feeding power to my place and they sorted it pretty quickly given that they were inundated with calls.

No doubt the fact that the power pole was "arcing and sparking" in the rain helped speed things along - not a comforting sight to see near your home.

Back