Most Underrated Drummer - Male + Female?

I think Zac farro, is kind of under rated, especerlly seeing as he was about 15 when he recorded the drums his bands first album.

ringo is unique among drummers in that he's always at the top of both the most underrated and the most overrated lists. he dominates all lists!

ringo is unique among drummers in that he's always at the top of both the most underrated and the most overrated lists. he dominates all lists!

I've never seen him called overrated. He's underrated because ignorant people who don't know he was a famous drummer in Liverpool with one of the top bands before The Beatles, say he was lucky when they replaced Pete Best with him. Secondly, metalheads who don't understand subtlety always put him down.

I always though Cozy Powell was underrated. He could lay down Jeff Porcaro shuffle, switch it into an heavy double bass beat then turn himself into a funky & jazzy drummer...

Am trying to get to that movie this weekend. Just curious if you or anyone has seen it.

I really wanna see it because I've read the script. But I have to warn you, it's mostly about Cherie Currie because it's based on her memoir. Joan Jett is also equally a major character. But the rest of the band members are supporting and have very little dialogue.

It would have to be Giuseppe Orlando... He's a fantastic drummer and music producer, he just works with a lot of Italian only language bands and a lot of metal bands which makes him pretty much unknown to westerners.

Listen to the diversity and artistry in this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV1CoUfyx9I

I've never seen him called overrated. He's underrated because ignorant people who don't know he was a famous drummer in Liverpool with one of the top bands before The Beatles, say he was lucky when they replaced Pete Best with him. Secondly, metalheads who don't understand subtlety always put him down.

My aunt thinks he's the best drummer on Earth which I disagree with. I think that's overrated. :)

Yes, Cozy was a very talented multi-purpose drummer.

I always though Cozy Powell was underrated. He could lay down Jeff Porcaro shuffle, switch it into an heavy double bass beat then turn himself into a funky & jazzy drummer...

Attachments

• Cozy Powell drumshammer.jpg
    Cozy Powell drumshammer.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 918
... who don't understand subtlety always put him down.

I agree with the last part of your statement. Ringo's playing seem simple but if anyone listen closely and notice all those subtleties among all Beatle collection will understand why he was part of the fab four.

Interviewer: Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?
John Lennon: Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.
(via unicornology)

Paul was better than ringo. Ringo is under rated because he sucks. he play subtle because he couldnt not play subtle. not that it was bad he just wasnt a great drummer.

you can make good music and suck at drumming. thats why drumming is fun lol

Ringo is under rated because he sucks.

I disagree......on both accounts.

Ringo was one of the most influential players in terms of inspiring people to pick up drum sticks in the first instance. I'm sure Ludwig would disagree too....their sales in the 60's went through the roof. All due to people wanting to be like Ringo.

Get 100 non-muso's and ask them to name one drummer.....more people would name Ringo, than Vinnie, Gadd or Weckl combined. If that's under rated, then I ask that we redefine the meaning of the word.

And, "he sucks". Well, no. You may not like him, there may well be far more technically proficient drummers out there, but "sucks"?.....not in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm gonna throw in a curve ball. Spike Jones of the City Slickers. Anyone who can lay down a groove using pots and pans, car horns, washboard and a pistol (among others) has to be one heck of a drummer.

Jon Fishman is clearly the most underrated drummer; hence his complete absence from this website. Chops for days. Also Kris Myers of Umphrey's McGee. Plays circles around most drummers today.

Back