Tony Williams Drum Clinic (1hour)

That is...WOOOW!!! Like a present from heaven, thanks for that, I really enjoy it!

Also now I know that Tony was one of the most sympathic drummers I`ve ever seen! When I first heard his voice I was so impressed because when he played he always seemed like a very serious man...but now I know that he is actually a very humourous man! A very young voice, great person...man and his playing is more than just awesome!

RIP Tony. What a drummer.

Karl

I got this video last year on P2P and I was stunned by his awesome technique. Also I was very impressed by his words...full of wisdom and humor. I would say all serious drummers should hear it.

I got this video last year on P2P and I was stunned by his awesome technique. Also I was very impressed by his words...full of wisdom and humor. I would say all serious drummers should hear it.

Even not so serious drummers should hear it, then maybe they'd be more serious as a result of it :)

What I like about Tony is that he had pretty unique, strong and clear opinions on things. For example, the melodic tuning of the toms and snare, the muscle-all-the-way-technique etc... It just goes to show that you can do things differently, even in a downright unorthodox manner, and still be very successful. Even though I disagree on some things -- namely the hand technique -- I can't help respecting him as a player and as a person. A great video!

Best drummer that ever walked the surface of this planet. Without a doubt. He is my alltime favourite and will always be. Because of that I think it's really funny that in one of the keypoints (hand technique) I totally disagree with him.

Maybe I'll have to switch.

Everything he says makes sense and is valuable. Fantastic vid, thanks for posting.

^Yes very true! Tony did have some VERY strong views about hand technique that I don't neccessarily agree with, but it does seem to shed an interesting light on a "different" view of hand technique which I find intriguing.

I too was surprised at what he said about hand technique. And watching him play, you can clearly see that when he really added some speed, he switched to fingers (left hand trad grip).

So i am assuming that what he said had a certain context to it, and if he were to explain further would have clarified his meaning.

Thanks for that. It's great that we have things like that video to document his genius (Of course in addition to his music). Tony is one of the most important drummers of all time and this video just enforces that. I like the fact that he had definite opions about things. He makes me want to try and learn traditional grip (Again!)

I think he had a reputation of being difficult so it was nice to see him in an affable mood. I love his playing so much.

BTW...notice Vinnie Colauita watching from the side!

That double stroke roll he did at the begining was the cleanest roll I've ever heard. He has some great philosophies especially about combine feel, technique and creativity all into one. Man, the drumming world truly lost a treasure when Tony passed on...

Thanks alot for posting this.

That double stroke roll he did at the begining was the cleanest roll I've ever heard. He has some great philosophies especially about combine feel, technique and creativity all into one. Man, the drumming world truly lost a treasure when Tony passed on...

Thanks alot for posting this.

It wasn't just double strokes. He was switching in between singles, doubles and paradiddles. Insane.

Yes and if you close your eyes its all even. a master of drums.

interesting that he is so against bounce. his toms are quite tight (high) which would produce good bounce even on his floors. maybe he does utilize bounce but not in the more obvious way that others do.

also using brushes on a dotted head is hard because they catch the dot...unless his dot is underneath the skin. just had a look i think it is.
j

The way he's tuned the toms so musically is lovely. His hands are simply a joy to behold.

He's such a Vinnie copier...

Yes and if you close your eyes its all even. a master of drums.

interesting that he is so against bounce. his toms are quite tight (high) which would produce good bounce even on his floors. maybe he does utilize bounce but not in the more obvious way that others do.

also using brushes on a dotted head is hard because they catch the dot...unless his dot is underneath the skin. just had a look i think it is.
j

As far as I know those are Remo CS Dot, and they're on top.

His view on brushes is interesting in that he only uses them on the snare, with the snares turned off, and he doesn't use them on the cymbals.

I watched about 4 minutes of it and got bored to death. He's just hitting the drums like a random assault. He may have good technique, I don't really know, but how can anyone get anything out of this? Musically, it has absolutely nothing, he's just hitting his drums like an imbecile, which absolutely no musical expression. And I don't know how you can learn anything from that... He's just banging away happily - I skipped to like the 30th minute and he's still banging away. What a waste of an hour...

Musically, it has absolutely nothing, he's just hitting his drums like an imbecile, which absolutely no musical expression.

Gee whiz, and I thought that rhythmic phrasing, use of dynamics and musical themes are a big part of musical expression. Obviously I should've known better...

Back