pearl icon for £100 or gibraltar?

charliejuson

in a local music store, there is a pearl icon 3 sided rack (not sure which icon as i know there is two models) pre owned for £100 with 5 clamps (not sure which model of clamp), it looks a bit scruffy, so does the shop, i have bought a few products from their like double bass pedal about 5 years ago and it is still going fine.

i am not sure whether to buy this or save my money to get a gibraltar curved front rack.

this will be my first ever rack as i have a small room where my drum set is, there is hardly any room for cymbal stands, i know with the gibraltar there is more customisable options (no leg snare stand etc) but i have seen a video from gibraltar diy on youtube on how to turn a pearl rack into a gibraltar (for add on things on the legs etc.)

this pearl icon rack usually goes for about £340 new in the uk and the gibraltar front rack goes for about £150 new in the uk.

i know that £100 is a good deal, but the shop is very small so i dont think i would be able to set it up in their to try it out for quality.

any suggestions? thanks

I have had a Pearl icon 3 sided rack for around 10 years now and love it...... It is well built and I have had no problems with it....... Terry

It just comes down to what you really want. I'm a Gibraltar guy, myself, but I've heard bad things about those racks (denting, stripping). I can say that my Gibraltar legless hat stand has some dents in the tube, but I got it that way used. I suspect that the previous owner was clamping it too tight. I haven't had problems with it since I've had it.

The pear seems like a nice rack, though, and that seems like a great price. Assuming the store has a return policy, you could always buy it, and then return it if you change your mind.

If it were me, I would probably go for the Gibraltar rack, just because I'm a brand whore sometimes, and I think they look a lot better.

But if it were really me, I wouldn't get a rack, because I hate them, but I won't judge you for it.

thanks for your help guys, i am going to purchase the icon today (if he can set it up in store for me) and test it out for a few weeks, if i like it, i will most probably keep it but if i want to have the desire to modificate it in any way i like i will probably sell it on ebay for £150 so i can buy the gibraltar curved front rack. atleast then i will know which one i prefer.

Charlie - Hereford? Do I know you?

What shop? Nilam?

Anyhow, £100 is a great price (unless it's the old black tube version). I use an Icon for all gigging, & they're pretty much bulletproof.

BTW, I'm playing the Victory next Saturday. The band haven't played that venue for over a year, so should be a good bash. Get there if you can, & introduce yourself. Always great to meet forum members :)

Charlie - Hereford? Do I know you?

What shop? Nilam?

Anyhow, £100 is a great price (unless it's the old black tube version). I use an Icon for all gigging, & they're pretty much bulletproof.

BTW, I'm playing the Victory next Saturday. The band haven't played that venue for over a year, so should be a good bash. Get there if you can, & introduce yourself. Always great to meet forum members :)

yeah nilam, what area you from? ill try get there if i can:)

i looked in there at it but it didn't have any feet with it and it wasnt in very good condition.

Back