Tuning Woes

MikeM

Platinum Member
This is serious stuff. Seriously.

Attachments

• Dear Diary.jpg
    Dear Diary.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 394
I can understand the girl point of view, she tried to "dig in" to find out why the long face and the distant mood, the guy (drummer) could have made an effort during the evening, to cheer her up a bit and "put" the snare problem asides for a few hours. :(

But, I also understand the guy, if I talk about drums technique, tuning, head combos or whatever related to drums with my lovely wife, she's utterly and totally bored by it within a split second, that's why I come on this forum, I can talk about drums, drummers and music with people who actually care with such topics :)

That guy should register on this forum and start a thread about his snare problems, we'll soon fix him up, so he'll be happier and enjoy going out with his girlfriend. :))

thanks Mike. I needed a good laugh today. When I can't seem to tune my snare, my behavior becomes a little odd too.

I must say though, there is a lot of truth in that. Women don't always latch on to the fact that men get obsessed with things. We mentally nag and nag at our problems until we find an answer. That's how we get the work done. Much of the world's innovation comes from men who were obsessed with a problem.

Unfortunately when we are in this obsessed state women tend to think we are "in a mood" and because women take things personally they blame themselves. It is a difference in the way that men and women look at things, not a personality failure on the part of both parties!

We could perhaps have Polly's opinion on this topic? she's both sides of the story... the girl and the drummer, do you have any conflicts or querells with the duo-personality thing Polly?

We could perhaps have Polly's opinion on this topic? she's both sides of the story... the girl and the drummer, do you have any conflicts or querells with the duo-personality thing Polly?

I doubt polly would be able to get to sleep with a snare in the house sounding bad.

Cute, but you know what's missing here? The woman asking what's wrong and him replying in a straightforward manner ... "Dang and blast, Enid, I just can't get that blessed snare drum sounding right.".

Then men complain that women keep trying to read their minds. Like there's an alternative lol

Just talk, dammit! If you can't confide in your partner about your tuning woes then she's not The One. Simple.

An admission: I've never managed to tune my snare right and I sleep just fine ... but if I have a bad night when my timing is off then I'm not much fun.

TMS, that's a good point. It applies to creative types generally. For me, being with a "normal" partner feels like a straitjacket after a while. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

Nor clowns who won't communicate in the most basic way :)

...him replying in a straightforward manner ... "Dang and blast, Enid, I just can't get that blessed snare drum sounding right."

...Just talk, dammit! If you can't confide in your partner about your tuning woes then she's not The One. Simple...

I agree Polly, with the danger of her replying "is that all what's bothering you? You're a sad soul"...

Now if Nadal looses in the fifth set against Jokovitch in the Australian Open's final, there will be some long faces around the house, but at least I will know why... :))

@ Too Many Songs...

"No regrets Coyote
We just come from such different sets of circumstance
I'm up all night in the studios
And you're up early on your ranch
You'll be brushing out a brood mare's tail
While the sun is ascending
And I'll just be getting home with my reel to reel...
There's no comprehending" - Joni Mitchell

Yep, goes with the topic indeed :)

that is hilarious I love that... the thing is, I always say is that 'many" not "all" modern women don't have hobbies or interests of their own, and they obbsess about what their man is doing. If you watch t.v shows from the 50's - 70's hell even the flintstones, women had all sorts of social clubs and events to get together. now they want to sponser these co-ed "football parties" which always result in some of the wives conmpaining all the way through the game.." THIS is what you guys do with your time...this is boring blah blah blah" yeh, I've been there :$

I agree Polly, with the danger of her replying "is that all what's bothering you? You're a sad soul"...

Now if Nadal looses in the fifth set against Jokovitch in the Australian Open's final, there will be some long faces around the house, but at least I will know why... :))

Yes, there's the risk of being misunderstood but I've been out with one of those self absorbed Easter Island statue types. They're bloody frustrating ... unless you're the kind of person who enjoys talking to brick walls!

that is hilarious I love that... the thing is, I always say is that 'many" not "all" modern women don't have hobbies or interests of their own, and they obbsess about what their man is doing.

True dat - but many men have no interests outside of work too. And man, some of the jobs these guys are into ... "Oh, so you're an accounts development administrator ... how, um, fascinating".

I've come to the conclusion that the only sane approach is to either forget relationships altogether or settle with someone who lives in a compatible universe. Having said that, I'm not exactly a poster child for sanity ...

:)

I thought it was cute, too, and got a little chuckle out of it.

In my experience, if I'm obsessing over something music or drum related and fess up to it in that kind of a situation (before it becomes a 'situation'), it doesn't get me off the hook, so I will often compartmentalize and hide my annoying little obsessions and hope to not get called out on them. It's almost automatic.

But to be fair, this one cuts both ways. In my real life I'm the talker who wants everything out in the open and I am the one more often frustrated by the brick wall.

Not to get too heavy on this. I just thought it was a funny read.

In my experience, if I'm obsessing over something music or drum related and fess up to it in that kind of a situation (before it becomes a 'situation'), it doesn't get me off the hook, so I will often compartmentalize and hide my annoying little obsessions and hope to not get called out on them. It's almost automatic.

Mike, you're a musician so you're allowed to have neurotic little obsessions. Any person who takes up with a muso and doesn't expect oddball stuff isn't paying attention!

Mike, you're a musician so you're allowed to have neurotic little obsessions. Any person who takes up with a muso and doesn't expect oddball stuff isn't paying attention!
Thanks, Polly!

twentysomeoddcharacters

Thanks, Polly!

Most musos I've known have tended to be a little mad. Sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way, very often both :)

The irony is that most have also been conservative in their music tastes and demand fairly conventional rhythms or melodies in their music ... seemingly much more conservative than painters and sculptors. I never worked that one out.

Well, to be honest, your username gives the game away.

True, but to be such a ‘Drummertist’ after playing ‘Too Many Songs’, I try to ‘keep it simple’, overplaying only provide a ‘mediocrefunkybeat’, even ‘eddiehimself’ agrees with me, but really I have ‘Xero Talent’, I’ve said it ‘Numberless’ times on this forum, but the bottom line, we’re all ‘Mad About Drums’ and it’s reflected in our tuning, our ‘resohead’ are tighter than the batter head, with a nice ‘Wavelength’ to give a nice rebound to our ‘Sticks’ for that nice ‘oldrockdrummer’ sound :)

It is ‘Strangelove’ from Pollyanna, who’s referred a fellow ‘drummingman’ as no one, to get such a compliment. ;-))

Back