Josh Freese

He has so much energy when he plays. I love his work in APC and DEVO. Hope he does an instructional video or Modern Drummer Festival Performance.

Does anybody know what great music Josh Freese is involved in now?

I might be really wrong right now, but I think he is working mostly with The Vandals right now. (Just something that I read somewhere. I think.)

Recently been aquired by NIN and will be touring down here in AUS very shortly. I believe he is recording their new album with them.

What a beast of a drummer. Creative flair mixed with animal spped and fluency this dude is the complete package. Has drummed for everybody from taxi ride to Suicidal tendencies. His work on APC is nearly orgasmic!!

I love Josh, he's one of my drum gods! Songs like "Let's Have A War" by APC just blow me away. I really like his NIN stuff...plus his BLB, Evanescence, Offspring, and Chris Cornell work really rocks too.

Last edited:
Man when i watch Thomas Lang play drums i am amazed how talented he is. Until about a minute into his playing. Thats when I fall asleep. Josh Freese on the other hand is just like Abe Cunningham to me. People can sit here and say these guys dont have the best chops or there not the fastest but man when I watch these guys play I wont blink the whole performance. There energy is amazing and guys like this are the reason i picked up some drum sticks in the first place. Im also an Uber-Tool nerd, equivalent to a Trekkie, and I honestly think that Carey couldn't of done any better for APC than Freese did. Well, he is God so maybe just a tad better.
O yeah, check out Derek Bloom (From First To Last) and Jay Wynne (Circle Takes the Square). Not main stream bands you'll hear on the radio so im just tryin to spread the word of some not so popular drummers that i think are amazing through word of mouth.
Peace

Has anyone heard of the drummer that feels in for him with the Vandals? His name is Ty Smith hes full time with the band Bullets and Octane

Has anyone heard of the drummer that feels in for him with the Vandals? His name is Ty Smith hes full time with the band Bullets and Octane

i thought it was Byron McMakin from Pennywise that filled in when Josh was with his other bands, learn somethin new everyday i guess.

i havent heard The Vandals with Ty, can he pull off the same insane fills that made me love josh so much?

Im pretty sure ty still fills in for him, i havnt seen him play with them though. I read that ty fills in for him on gigs at times, and the vandals was the main one

Ty Smith play for Guttermouth. They did a "Live at the House of Blues" DVD just like the Vandals, and Smith is pretty good. The rest of the band are pretty smashed yet Ty manages to hold them all together.

Has anybody read interview with him in Modern Drummer magazine. Pretty good interview imo.

I think Josh is another one of those drummers who can really play anything you hand over to him. He is really really diverse player.
He was and is touring with Nine Inch Nails right now. And the last NIN concert I was at which was in Irvine Ca back in 06', he did a real good job. I dont know if his true colors came out during the concert, meaning his style and techniques, due to NIN sound of electornic music and synth use, but he did a good job. I really was impressed with his Double Bass drum skills too. He used it, not too much but just enough to bring something different to the table.
As far as Perfect Circle goes, great... You can tell he really plays to the music, and what the song calls for!

Brynner

Josh Freese has the ability, skill, talent to adapt his drumming to different music styles. He plays/played the drums for bands such as: The Vandals, DEVO, Viva Death, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails, Slash (solo project). His favourite instruments are drums, keyboards, guitar, bass, tambourine...what an musician!

Attachments

• josh.jpg
    josh.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:
Just thought I'd chip in and give my respect to Josh.

First heard him on the first APC record when it came out back in 2000 and has been one of my favourite drummers ever since!

I can understand why he gets offered so many sessions! ... he makes whoever he plays with sound like a band (rather than an artist with a session drummer). If that makes sense?

Just thought I'd chip in and give my respect to Josh.

First heard him on the first APC record when it came out back in 2000 and has been one of my favourite drummers ever since!

I can understand why he gets offered so many sessions! ... he makes whoever he plays with sound like a band (rather than an artist with a session drummer). If that makes sense?

I think Tim Alexander did most of the drumming on APC's first album. Freese did Judith and 3 Libras or Hollow. The drumming on Judith was beastly though, it makes that song what it is.

I think Tim Alexander did most of the drumming on APC's first album. Freese did Judith and 3 Libras or Hollow. The drumming on Judith was beastly though, it makes that song what it is.

Nope, he just played drums on "The Hollow". Everything else is Freese's work as far as I know.

it's savage that josh only has 51 posts. he is the modern session drummer in my opinion. just check his discography. & he's not even 40 yet. great groove, tasteful playing. and he makes proper money playing for some pretty good artists. yeah he's pretty sick all in all. would love to be in his position when I'm that old. (will be).

Back