Disappointment in bassists :/

I'm in a band and I actually thought we had a great line-up and we all worked well, tight with each other, write good songs. But the thing I'm disappointed in is bassists. We've had 4 and the one we actually wanted to settle with just said to me "I'm leaving after the first gig I play with you guys." This has really annoyed me and made me pretty disappointed. He's a really good bassist though he says it bores him, my band seem to have no luck in bassists. Also with singers, we don't have a proper singer yet so our rhythm guitarist is literally stressing himself out and we're on a search for a singer too.

I'm really disappointed with myself even though I know it's not my fault. I love being in the band, it's my dream band. But it's not really going too well.

Welcome to the world, I'm afraid... keep looking, there's bound to be someone out there that's into what you're trying to do.

Its tough to find good help these days. Im lucky that I have very good and reliable guitarist and bass players. It took us over 3 years and auditioning over 50 "singers" before we found a good one. Im not sure what the deal is these days but people think if they can sing in their car, do karaoke, or play rock band its time to look for a professional band. I felt really embarrased for alot of the people that came out, especially after we played back the session for them.

Its tough to find good help these days. Im lucky that I have very good and reliable guitarist and bass players. It took us over 3 years and auditioning over 50 "singers" before we found a good one. Im not sure what the deal is these days but people think if they can sing in their car, do karaoke, or play rock band its time to look for a professional band. I felt really embarrased for alot of the people that came out, especially after we played back the session for them.

I know what you mean :/ our rhythm guitarist is an decent singer, he just can't play electric and sing at the same time. But bassists are hard to find in Scotland anyways. And singers. We actually thought the band was going really well after 4 bassists before getting "I don't want to be in the band after the first gig, I find bass boring." Sad thing is, he's actually a really good bassist :/

Welcome to the world, I'm afraid... keep looking, there's bound to be someone out there that's into what you're trying to do.

It's been almost a year of searching. I just want to get out, play music, write music and have fun. Not continue looking for singers and bassists. The other band I'm in is fun, just sometimes it can be boring. I think I'm the only one taking this band serious aswell! I'm 15 yes, but I love to play music and want to continue it.

Also I'm really sorry if I'm coming across as a prick. I just can't handle this at the moment :/ it's too much stress and disappointment

You weren't coming across as anything other than frustrated, so no worries! I'd be frustrated, too.

In fact, all the various bands I've been in over the years have all been frustrating at some point - which is why they all ended in "divorce!" Some bands die more spectacular deaths than others, and like what you're going through, there are always a handful that never really get off the ground. It's always frustrating, but hopefully there are enough good moments to have made it worthwhile and that's what keeps us going.

You weren't coming across as anything other than frustrated, so no worries! I'd be frustrated, too.

In fact, all the various bands I've been in over the years have all been frustrating at some point - which is why they all ended in "divorce!" Some bands die more spectacular deaths than others, and like what you're going through, there are always a handful that never really get off the ground. It's always frustrating, but hopefully there are enough good moments to have made it worthwhile and that's what keeps us going.

Thanks man, I just hope so

I think I'm the only one taking this band serious aswell! I'm 15 yes, but I love to play music and want to continue it.

Are you playing with guys of similar age? If so, then in my experience this sort of chopping, changing and inability to settle with a permanent lineup are quite common. In my mid teen years I could never get guys to take it as serious as myself and one or two others either. One week a guy wants to play guitar......next week he wants to build and race go-karts. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the teenage beast. A quest for self-discovery doesn't always equate to commitment.

Unfortunately, it's a fact of life that changing ones mind is what teenagers do....and regularly. It stands to reason too, teenagers are still figuring out who they are and what they like, so they tend try many things but tire of them easily. How do i know? I remember my teenage years well mate (it's my 20's where things start to get a little hazy)

Just wait a few years mate......by late teens/early twenties you'll find a lot more likeminded people who are as serious as you are. People just like you, who are serious about it and have never been able to find people to stick at it with them either. Just spend this time learning, cutting your teeth and honing your craft. See it as an opportunity to learn how NOT to do it. Keep at it and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel......then you get to have some real fun!! :)

I'm in a band and I actually thought we had a great line-up and we all worked well, tight with each other, write good songs. But the thing I'm disappointed in is bassists. We've had 4 and the one we actually wanted to settle with just said to me "I'm leaving after the first gig I play with you guys." This has really annoyed me and made me pretty disappointed. He's a really good bassist though he says it bores him, my band seem to have no luck in bassists. Also with singers, we don't have a proper singer yet so our rhythm guitarist is literally stressing himself out and we're on a search for a singer too.

I'm really disappointed with myself even though I know it's not my fault. I love being in the band, it's my dream band. But it's not really going too well.

Bands come and go. This one will too. Use it all as a learning experience to be a better musician.

I feel your frustration man, I'm currently playing with a band, the guitar players are solid and the singer is quite good, the bassist actually has really nice technical skills and is pretty creative...but sometime his timing is so off and he can't seem to grasp the concept of playing for a song, more than one time we'd be playing covers and he'd go off on a bass fill right in the middle of the verse, it's just so annoying! And it totally kills the vibe me and the other musicians are establishing! His timing wanders and he often starts either late or early when we transition to different parts of the song, and what gets me is that he's a very good player and the nicest guy ever, I don't know why he has these problems but sometimes it's just really frustrating playing a song and hearing it being butchered by the guy right next to you.

I know I've said this in other threads, but I just assume the leader spot, and pay guys I want to have play with me. So if I get a gig, I'm the leader and call who I want. I threw a nice party for friends once and hired my own band - it's worth it. Then I don't have to rehearse 'em or anything, I hire them in to play. It's quick and its easy. No one argues with me because I'm paying 'em.

I know many of us are not in the position to hire people, but it's really hard to get people to commit to your project if there's nothing in it for them. You'll just have to keep plugging away trying to find compatible talents and desire to do what you guys are into. Those people are out there, you just have to find them. Good luck!

Hey guys

Good news! The bassist decided to return :) which I'm happy about. Also I get to play guitar on two songs while the guitarist (who's a kick ass pipe band snare drummer) plays drums :)
I'm not really allowed to tell the song we're going to play on Facebook or stuff but I get to play guitar on a Foo Fighters song called Weenie Beenie and I also get to sing which is pretty awesome as I wanted to do more than play drums and because we can all play different instruments in the band I think our encore songs will just be switch abouts basically!
So I think the band will be going well :) also getting into alot of Latin drumming too which is pretty awesome and I think I want to do latin drums and stuff when I'm older aswell as rock and jazz.

Thanks for your support guys :) frustration is over

Back