Coated reso heads?

Moldy

Silver Member
I had the crazy idea of using 1ply coated batter heads as resonant heads. I mean, as far as Evans go, the G1 Clear Batter, G1 Coated Batter and G1 Clear Resonant are all single ply 10mm heads. So it wouldn't be that bad... right?

It'll give you a slightly warmer sound. I'm using coated Ambs (same mil as the G1s) and am digging the sound. What are you using for batters? Have you considered the Genera Reso heads, they're both (G1 and Genera) 10 Mil.

At the moment, I just have pinstripe heads. I'm getting a new set soon, but it might be a 6 piece Mapex Saturn or Pro M set (!), which is alot to buy two sets of heads for. I was just seeing if there was a way to have coated and pinstripe while skipping the "buy clear reso heads" step. Would save me a good $60ish.

Yeah, that may be an interesting sound. Defined stick attack with a solid sustain that carries some warmth. Damn it, now I want to go out and get new heads.

I'm using coated heads all around, but a the initial sound you can get out clear heads has had me tempted for a long time now. Problem is, I can't not use brushes when I play (love the swooshing sounds). If you do go with the coated resos, put up a sound file or vid or something, I wouldn't mind hearing that at all.

Why not give it a try? If you don't like it you can get clear resos down the road. Might be a tad too dark/warm with pins, but you lose nothing by trying.

Bonham used to use coated Emperors on top and coated Ambassadors on the bottom, so you're in good company. Many jazzers have liked coated reso heads, too.

I think it would complement the walnut/maple shell of a Saturn set quite nicely, personally. Alright, I'll give it a plunge. I'll put up a video of the difference in sounds too, but it'll be a while.

EDIT: Rather, I would think a warmer, deeper sustain would complete the tone the Saturns produce. And I found a similar topic already on these boards *oops* But in them I found this link: http://www.tothestage.com/MediaDetail.PAGE?ActiveID=1142&query=bob gatzen&MediaId=774

Last edited:
Benny Greb recently has been using Coated Emperors over Coated Ambassadors on his toms.

Here is something I typed up on an other forum about when I had to tech Benny's Force 3007 kit at his clinic here back in July. It was a FUN experience working side-by-side with Benny getting the kit setup and tuned to his liking.

For the guys that wanted tips on Benny's sound...

He tunes up higher than you might think...MUCH higher. In a lot of his videos his drums sound very warm, resonant, deep, etc... Its because of the Coated Emperor over Coated Ambassador combination. The lack of bright overtones that can cause some boingy tones can are canceled out by the Coated Ambassadors as resonant heads.

Tuning the kit with Benny taught me something. He doesn't fuss like crazy about his tuning like we all talk about here. He gets a nice tight feel on the Coated Emperors for rebound, pitched to a medium-tight, then goes slightly higher up on the resonant heads. Not so close in pitch that would cause phase cancellation, but enough to create a decent pitch bend and resonance.

He doesn't worry about intervals between the top or bottom or between drum to drum.

Because he uses 10, 14, 16, he naturally gets great tonal separation. The 10 and 14 usually always end up sounding like a perfect octave apart. The 16 usually ends up a 3rd or 4th apart. Again, he doesn't worry about them, but this information was simply my observation.

I can't really give you tuning technique pointers or tips on how he did it. Like I said before...He doesn't fuss about it at all. The only thing he was really particular about was the snare. He took a 13x7 Special Edition which use Force 3007 shells. He tuned the snare side up, loosened the snares until almost rattle point, took the batter quite far down and used some tape on the batter. He gets a nice full bodied pop this way.

The setup on the snares were Coated Ambassadors over Ambassador Snare Sides.

It isn't as dry as you might think. Benny Greb uses Coated Emperors over Coated Ambassadors with a killer full sound.

His last clinic here I had to put on his required heads on a Force 3007 kit. I tuned it up along side with Benny and the sound was killer. I actually just recently played that kit for a show because I couldn't get access to my Yamaha MCAN.

It is super full, warm, more resonant that most would think and the attack is wonderful.

Benny Greb recently has been using Coated Emperors over Coated Ambassadors on his toms.

Here is something I typed up on an other forum about when I had to tech Benny's Force 3007 kit at his clinic here back in July. It was a FUN experience working side-by-side with Benny getting the kit setup and tuned to his liking.

I have a Force 3007 kit and this just made me completely rethink what I might get as heads.

I was originally going to get Coated over clear Ambassadors but now I'm not so sure......

Sorry for the double post but does anyone have any sound clips of coated vs. clear resonant heads?

I just got a bigger paycheck than I normally do and I'm thinking I'll try and put it to good use and replace the stock heads on my new kit before something else arises and I'm forced to spend it in a place I probably don't want to. :p

My question is if I do the coated over coated heads then should I do the 2-ply or 1-ply heads as batters?

Hmm...

In most cases you don't want to use 2-plies as resos unless you want to kill the sound of the drum.

Oh I know I meant that if I use coated ambassadors as resos, would I put Emperors or Ambassadors as my batter head?

I'm thinking Ambassadors.

Why not try one of each on the same drum, say, a 12" tom? It's impossible to predict which you'll like.

Why not try one of each on the same drum, say, a 12" tom? It's impossible to predict which you'll like.

Even from hearing sound samples and playing on Ebony Ambassadors like the kit has at our school (I played with 2-ply heads on my last two re-skins) I'm nearly certain I'll go with Ambassadors and like them better.

I just feel like I've always been confused in the past as to the terms referring to the sound of a drum and its head combination, dark/bright, warmer etc. I'm pretty sure how I describe the sound I like now is warmer and brighter.... definitely less attack. I've loved Ambassadors every time I've played with them, and I'm almost certainly going with those.

I don't have any decent music stores that keep anything in stock like drum heads nearby... I do almost all of my shopping for things online except for maybe drumsticks. Ordering a set of heads for one drum would be almost too time consuming.

I'll be happy with Ambassadors over Ambassadors for sure, I'm just killing myself over the coated or clear reso decision.

Nothing wrong at all using coated single ply heads as reso's, it will warm the drum up some. 2 ply reso's? never experimented with them but I use the G plus clear single ply 12 mill head and it makes for a slightly longer sustain, which I prefer over clear G1's or clear Ambassadors.

Nothing wrong at all using coated single ply heads as reso's, it will warm the drum up some. 2 ply reso's? never experimented with them but I use the G plus clear single ply 12 mill head and it makes for a slightly longer sustain, which I prefer over clear G1's or clear Ambassadors.

Would using a coated G Plus as a reso increase the sustain because of the thicker head and despite the fact the coating is frosty (I think) would it keep the drum warmer than if I had used clear resos?

Would using a coated G Plus as a reso increase the sustain because of the thicker head and despite the fact the coating is frosty (I think) would it keep the drum warmer than if I had used clear resos?

The G-plus definitely will increase sustain compared with 10mil resos--I do it myself on some drums. First though, try tuning both heads to the same pitch (if you don't already), that how you get the most sustain.

To my ear the Evans frosty coating just can't suck enough. At least as resos you wouldn't get that ultra-plasticky attack you get from using them as batters. But I don't find them to make the sound warmer compared to clears, just deader.

The G-plus definitely will increase sustain compared with 10mil resos--I do it myself on some drums. First though, try tuning both heads to the same pitch (if you don't already), that how you get the most sustain.

To my ear the Evans frosty coating just can't suck enough. At least as resos you wouldn't get that ultra-plasticky attack you get from using them as batters. But I don't find them to make the sound warmer compared to clears, just deader.

I had coated EC2s on my last kit, and I agree with you about the coating.... Some people swear by the warmer sound of the coated ones even in comparison to the clear though.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have the coating on the bottom whether it warms the sound or not if it increases the sustain. I just have a new set of Sonor Force 3007s I haven't changed the stock heads off of yet and I'm looking for a good head combo. Actually even the stock heads sound pretty good to me.... But I want to pull out the potential of these babies. I love em.

So I'm thinking..... Coated Ambassadors over coated G Pluses, coated Powerstroke 3 and probably the ported resonant PS3 for the bass drum. Sounds like a winner to me.

Hi All!
I've got a Sonor 3007 kit with clear EC2s batter and stock resos. Don't really
care for the sound. I have an Emad on the kick for batter. Love that. Warm and boomy.
My kit is a fusion. 10,12,14 and 20 kick. Also looking for a good head combo?
Anyone? I like a nice warm sound. My toms all sound flat and dead

Back