What is my drum set worth?

angry chair

Hello, I am new to the forums so I'm sorry if you hate people asking this question or something, but I really don't know the first thing about valuing my drum set.

I know there is some value to my drum set and I think I would have to sell it in parts to get the most money. I could really use some advice. When I bought the 5 piece 5 years ago it was $600 new. 5 stands, upgraded heads, a double bass pedal and 5 cymbals later it has to be worth something. I can't keep it, I move around a lot and I have an electric kit that's portable and quiet.

You can the full thing here with pictures and descriptions: http://annarbor.craigslist.org/msg/4540144204.html

Thanks,
AC

Craigslist is 'free', let it roll at $800, you never know, looks in good shape.

Keep in mind tho ppl, when selling a kit, drum sets shown in the corner of a room are automatically de valued 10%.

Keep in mind tho ppl, when selling a kit, drum sets shown in the corner of a room are automatically de valued 10%.

Why? You think a picture of it outside in front of a lake with the sun setting in the background would be better? Because I could make that happen...

Welcome to the forum:

That is a very nice starter/intermediate kit, with a sane configuration. $800 is a good asking price. Expect people to offer $700/750.

I like the brand coherency. All the same brand stands, all the same family of cymbals, and that it is set up in a manner (in the pics) that won't turn anyone off.

You should have no problem selling the thing in a couple weeks.

The "in a corner" comment was aimed at some of the remarkably-hilariously bad craigslist adverts we've seen on this forum. There's a special "Best Of Craigslist" thread we maintain as well as a "Tom Angles" thread for entertainment purposes.

Best of luck.

thanks for all the advice. i really appreciate it.

that joke was way over my head >.< ... i hope mine doesn't make that list.

do you think i should break it up to sell it?

yes. or be willing to at least.
not everybody is looking for all that at once. some want a set of cymbals, some just the shells for their 2nd kit. some the odd piece of hardware.

the value of your set increases by piecing it out, but its more effort to sell that way.

you could leave your ad as is and say be willing to sell in pieces - cymbals, hardware, shells

yes. or be willing to at least.
not everybody is looking for all that at once. some want a set of cymbals, some just the shells for their 2nd kit. some the odd piece of hardware.

the value of your set increases by piecing it out, but its more effort to sell that way.

you could leave your ad as is and say be willing to sell in pieces - cymbals, hardware, shells

do you have any idea what the cymbals and stands might be worth? is $30 a cymbal reasonable? and i'm not too sure how to value the stands, other than the SP on the base there's no way to tell exactly what kind of stand it is.

thanks again

Price will vary according to area (demand). Tama Rockstars on eBay can be had in the $400. They sell new, for around $500 (shell pack). Maybe $100 for the hardware, and another $100 for cymbals. So, I'd venture $600 ..... tops. SP hardware (Sound Percussion) is generic entry level hardware. $99 gets you a kick pedal, a high hat stand, a snare stand, and a straight cymbal stand. New.​

You sure you just don't want to keep it and store it away? There may be a day when you want to play acoustic drums again (or will need acoustic drums, period), and rather than fork out more money later, you'd already have the kit you have ready to go when you need it.

Back