Daniel Liljekvist leaves Katatonia to "get a normal job that gets the bills payed"

More than anything, it's gotta be fun. Don't underestimate the freedom in being able to play what you want, when you want, and only if you want. It's a luxury most pros can't afford. No struggling, no frustration... sounds like a sweet situation!

Bermuda
I'd much rather be playing drums in gigs that I don't want to play, than work a day (or night) job I don't like.

Leaving music for a change in work, it'd have to be a fun career! (and those choices are dwindling, too!)

Totally agree with Bermuda here. It's about your mindset - balancing the things you want in life.

Totally agree with you guys. It's possible especially if you do your best to plan & schedule the work accordingly on both ends and appreciate and spend as much time as you can with your spouse/family if you have one. Try to bring your family with you as much as you can.

I do it, but I'm not a touring musician by any means, just local and I do remote and onsite sessions so it works out.

I'd much rather be playing drums in gigs that I don't want to play, than work a day (or night) job I don't like.

Leaving music for a change in work, it'd have to be a fun career! (and those choices are dwindling, too!)

I'm not sure about that. I'd hate to take away the fun of playing and turn it into the drudgery of any old "day job". A job is a job - a means to pay the bills. Drums to me at least are a joy and if I take that away and view it only as a job, taking any gig I can to make a living, it would just turn out to be just like any day job. Something I'd wake up not looking forward to.

The best situation for me would be making a living, even a modest one, playing music I enjoy. That isn't my situation, but that's fine. My job pays my bills and I play enough to look forward to it every time.

I had the good fortune of knowing one of the road crew on the Opeth/Katatonia tour that hit the US, Europe and Australia where I caught up with a good friend.

without declaring numbers, I know what each member of Katatonia was paid and I was surprised........it's a really tough life as a touring musician that is for sure....

I know a lot of very in demand drummers who were surgeons, scientists, physicists and engineers who are now
full time musicians in their retired years. All have houses/cars etc and have never starved. I'm in that boat.

If this has worked for others, then this is now my new retirement plan!

Shadows Fall is playing at a smaller festival here in CT this summer. I know from the promoter how much they are making to headline and I will tell you that when you divide that number among all of the band members, road crew, tech's, etc., they would need to play two shows every day for each of them to make what I make in a year. I hope that with mechandise and other income strings they are making more, but todays music industry is definitely a tough one.

I'm not sure about that. I'd hate to take away the fun of playing and turn it into the drudgery of any old "day job". A job is a job - a means to pay the bills. Drums to me at least are a joy and if I take that away and view it only as a job, taking any gig I can to make a living, it would just turn out to be just like any day job. Something I'd wake up not looking forward to.

The best situation for me would be making a living, even a modest one, playing music I enjoy. That isn't my situation, but that's fine. My job pays my bills and I play enough to look forward to it every time.

Well at least playing undesirable gigs, you're still doing something you love. That's how I see it anyway.

Back