Question About Drum Kits!

oBIGxREDo

I have a 5 piece Pearl Export drum kit.

Snare is: 14x4
Toms: 10x8, 12x8, and 14x11

I'm not worried about the kick.

My point is I hate the sound of everything but my kick drum.
I've tried all different kinds of heads.
I just cant get a good sound out of this kit.

I don't know if I'm tuning completely wrong. But my main point is I've been looking for a new kit for about a year.
And I'm looking at the Premier and Sonor kits.

What would you recomend?
I want a full sound that when I hit my drums I just want it to be like "BOOM" More or less I want a full sound out of my kit. and my current kit just sounds dead.

So what do you suggest for me with the brands Premier and Sonor.

I'd like 3 high toms and 1 floor tom.
Kick drum I want a 24 inch or 22.

Let me know please!!

Your tom sizes have a lot to do with lack of "BOOM" ... a 14x11 ... that's your floor tom .... to me, that's a good size ... for a rack tom. Combine "lack-of-size" with Pearl Export ... very little "boom potential" there.​
The smallest floor tom's I own, are 14x14, in Yamaha Recording Custom and Ludwig Classic. But even then, I'm not asking for boom. I'm just asking for great sounding drums.​
For "BOOM" I go to my "big" Ludwig kit, 13x9 rack, 16x16 and 18x16 floor, and 26x16 kick. Big drums, more boom, land-of-boom.​
I'd try an experiment, before you shop for a whole new kit. If you know another drummer, who has a 16x16 or 18x16 floor, borrow it. You want a kit with three rack toms, mount all three of you Pearls as racks. Since you say you're happy with your kick .....​
You'll probably still hate the 10x8, but if the 12x8 and the 14x11 make the grade, add a 13x9 between (if you really wanna stick with the three rack rule), and a larger floor, and you're good to go. There's only about a million orphan Pearl Export drums on eBay, so finding one to match your kit probably won't be that hard.​

The kit you describe in terms of size are modern sizes. They should be able to sit fairly low over the kick drum and enable a close and compact set-up.

Shallower toms = less sustain and less bass overtones, i.e. less boom

So it sounds like you've got the wrong kit. What is the bass drum size? 20"?

However, I'm sure you should be able to get a decent sound out of them. Could it be something to do with your room acoustics or the heads are tuned too tightly?

Davo

Your tom sizes have a lot to do with lack of "BOOM" ... a 14x11 ... that's your floor tom .... to me, that's a good size ... for a rack tom. Combine "lack-of-size" with Pearl Export ... very little "boom potential" there.​
The smallest floor tom's I own, are 14x14, in Yamaha Recording Custom and Ludwig Classic. But even then, I'm not asking for boom. I'm just asking for great sounding drums.​
For "BOOM" I go to my "big" Ludwig kit, 13x9 rack, 16x16 and 18x16 floor, and 26x16 kick. Big drums, more boom, land-of-boom.​
I'd try an experiment, before you shop for a whole new kit. If you know another drummer, who has a 16x16 or 18x16 floor, borrow it. You want a kit with three rack toms, mount all three of you Pearls as racks. Since you say you're happy with your kick .....​
You'll probably still hate the 10x8, but if the 12x8 and the 14x11 make the grade, add a 13x9 between (if you really wanna stick with the three rack rule), and a larger floor, and you're good to go. There's only about a million orphan Pearl Export drums on eBay, so finding one to match your kit probably won't be that hard.​

Yeah I've heard the bigger floor toms.
16x16 and 16x18 they sound awesome if you can tune them haha.
My one friend has em' but he can't tune any drum for his life but he's still learning.. so. ha.
Thanks!

The kit you describe in terms of size are modern sizes. They should be able to sit fairly low over the kick drum and enable a close and compact set-up.

Shallower toms = less sustain and less bass overtones, i.e. less boom

So it sounds like you've got the wrong kit. What is the bass drum size? 20"?

However, I'm sure you should be able to get a decent sound out of them. Could it be something to do with your room acoustics or the heads are tuned too tightly?

Davo

My bass drum size is 22"
and the reason it's probably the wrong kit is because at the time I bought this kit. I was only at like 5 years of drumming expierence so I didn't know anything about the technical stuff like sizes and all you know? like when your younger it seems most kids want a "cool looking" kit. and thats exactly what I did haha.

My room.. I'm on a riser off the ground about 18 and a half inches.
But this could bring problems... We have hardwood flooring. I'm sure that screws up the sound.

And the tom heads are Evans EC2's.
My snares have Remo's Ambassadors. But I'm gonna chance those to some sort of evans. I prefer Evans. But I'll use Remo if it's gonna give me the right sound.

And the tom heads are Evans EC2's.
My snares have Remo's Ambassadors. But I'm gonna chance those to some sort of evans. I prefer Evans. But I'll use Remo if it's gonna give me the right sound.

What are the reso heads? These drums should sound OK. Any step up including Pearl should be a step up in sound but really if you cant make the exports sound OK you may also have trouble with anything else. Those toms are quite shallow though. Not going to get too much projection out of em but should be able to tune in some decent tones.

What are the reso heads? These drums should sound OK. Any step up including Pearl should be a step up in sound but really if you cant make the exports sound OK you may also have trouble with anything else. Those toms are quite shallow though. Not going to get too much projection out of em but should be able to tune in some decent tones.

There the original Peal heads.

Back