DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 10-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Default The joy of a great singer

I'm a lucky boy in terms of my bandmates, they're all better than me, but wanted to share this rehearsal clip from last night = singer absolutely nailing it. Having a great singer enables us to cover so much ground - a breath of fresh air compared to the previous singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jBI...ature=youtu.be

Band here as a 4 piece - missing keys, sax solo, 1 BV layer. Disgracefully untuned drums = flat as ----, & some chorus rushing from me, but this is about the vocal ")
Old 10-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The joy of a great singer

It's a good thing to emphasize the singing-Dang Andy I must have inspired you to post a video of some crappy drumming rushing, etc, etc, etc, etc, I've lost count of the errors-LOL. You crack me up-you sound great Andy! I guess we are our own worse critics (I want to play like you). I do love your new singer-he is a breath of fresh air. So you sound like you are all back-you feel that way yet?? When will the big recording take place?
Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
It's a good thing to emphasize the singing-Dang Andy I must have inspired you to post a video of some crappy drumming
Singing's great - drumming = not so. Just posting to share my joy really.

Quote:
So you sound like you are all back-you feel that way yet??
Better every week thanks Art :)

Quote:
When will the big recording take place?
Next month, but not so big, except to us. I'm hoping it sows seeds to something more interesting.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:06 AM
Silver Member

I think the whole band sounds great. I agree about the singer, he is spot on and sounds wonderful. I am glad you are feeling better.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:31 AM

I agree, your singer sounds great. We have two brothers who sing in our band - they harmonise really well but don't have the vocal range and strength to really project well which detracts from the range of songs we can attempt. We are largely a hobbyist band so it doesn't matter that much in the big scheme of things. BTW Andy, I think you're really hard on yourself. IMV you sound great and I would be well pleased to play as well as you. Cheers
Old 10-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
I think the whole band sounds great. I agree about the singer, he is spot on and sounds wonderful. I am glad you are feeling better.
Thank you. Of course, we're missing a big sounding element of the band here, even on a guitar focussed track, but good to know we can sound acceptable stripped back. We're still working this number up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basset52 View Post
I agree, your singer sounds great. We have two brothers who sing in our band - they harmonise really well but don't have the vocal range and strength to really project well which detracts from the range of songs we can attempt. We are largely a hobbyist band so it doesn't matter that much in the big scheme of things. BTW Andy, I think you're really hard on yourself. IMV you sound great and I would be well pleased to play as well as you. Cheers
Siblings often have a real connection built up over years of joint endeavour - difficult to beat that!

As for being hard on myself, I guess I am right now. The stroke recovery has caused me to examine my playing for the first time in many years. I have some leftover issues from the stroke that I'm tackling one by one, but I also likely have crappy elements that have always been present - just never on my radar.

I never used to have significant issues keeping tempo from one song section to the other. In this song, a simple transition from 4/4 to 2/4 would never have caused a wobble, but now it does. I'm finding that once I've identified the issue, I can put it to bed pretty quickly. I think my issue is one of initial perception.

Dealing with this perception "curve" is all well & good with the comfort of rehearsal time & patient band members, but I'm concerned about our studio stint next month. I can't afford to be holding up proceedings because of drummer malfunction.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:14 AM
Renegade

Andy, having played in bands with very ordinary singers, fairly good singers and just one excellent singer, I know what you mean. He has MH down pat and sings in tune, which is sooo critical.

Band sounds as tight as a fish's posterior as usual. Personally, I'd back off on the hats volume a tad, though - the 80s was very boom bap!
Old 10-19-2018, 10:51 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Andy, having played in bands with very ordinary singers, fairly good singers and just one excellent singer, I know what you mean. He has MH down pat and sings in tune, which is sooo critical.

Band sounds as tight as a fish's posterior as usual. Personally, I'd back off on the hats volume a tad, though - the 80s was very boom bap!
Thanks Grea, & so great to see you chiming in :)

This rehearsal recording is a bit weak as we're minus keys + sax, so the hats really do stand out too much, but the guys want to shoot for this sound vibe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6qXybVD9Oo

We're gigging this track in the next few weeks, so I'll hopefully get a recording up of the finished article.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:26 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Thanks Grea, & so great to see you chiming in :)

This rehearsal recording is a bit weak as we're minus keys + sax, so the hats really do stand out too much, but the guys want to shoot for this sound vibe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6qXybVD9Oo

We're gigging this track in the next few weeks, so I'll hopefully get a recording up of the finished article.
Seems like you are pretty close already, Andy.

Jon Farriss is giving the hats a fair old whack there, so the engineer is keeping things clean.