Jeff Porcaro on Studio / Sound Engineers

Yea, I've watched that entire video at least 10 times. Great information that survives to today! The only thing I'd wonder if Jeff was still alive today, would be his opinion on electronic drums and the like - because boy, have things changed since the 80s!!

I can see how riled Jeff gets when he starts talking about the engineers and how they offend his ideals on that topic.

Yea, I've watched that entire video at least 10 times. Great information that survives to today! The only thing I'd wonder if Jeff was still alive today, would be his opinion on electronic drums and the like - because boy, have things changed since the 80s!!

I haven't watched that throwback MI video for a while but I'm sure he talks about electric drums and he hated them.

While I'm here, I made a loop of him playing live and then I added some music on top. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfIqkWGPDCo

Love this vid, common sense approach.

Saw toto on Sunday at the Royal Albert Hall, they rocked hard and played a lot of lesser known stuff which I loved.

Spent a lot of the night watching Lenny Castro, he's a beast! They need to get a hologram of Jeff on stage. If they can do it with Dio...........

Very interesting vid, thanks for sharing.

electronic drums and drum machines were extremely prominent in the 1980s

... and hey jimzo ... my alma mater as well

No doubt they were - in the video Jeff says he hates them because they have no dynamics and the sounds are cheesy. Compared to today, things like the Roland TD-50 and Pearl Mimic Pro are either real sampled drums or have the modeling and sampling capability light years ahead of what was in the 80's no to mention the fine tuning adjustments for pad triggering. So I simply wonder if he'd still hate them!

This is cool!

I'm surprised to see a Simmons pad.

Glad you like it spleeeeen. :) Yeah, considering he apparently was anti electric drums it is a bit surprising. Here's another one I made. I took an 8 measure isolated groove of his from his instructional DVD, looped it and added some random tunes, percussion and a shaker, including a bit of earth wind and fire. This shows just how deep his pocket was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrrIfSXhfoI

Back