Great quote from Tommy Igoe

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I was just reading through the Groove Essentials 2.0 book and there is a piece towards the end called 'Global Tours' #8. In the introduction Tommy says "If you don't think playing in a school orchestra will make you a stronger groove player and a better musician musician, put this down and take up gardening."

This got to me to thinking about how I learned to read music thanks to High School band and taking lessons. How important it is to have reading skills if you're ever confronted with a piece like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLlGYeVAVug

funny - i just stumbled into the global tours pieces at the end of GE2 as well last week. been playing them on my ipod lately. the global tour #8 is really interesting & a challenge to play. what Tommy plays is completely smokin & fits. dig the accelerated groove into the 1st solo.

Good point, and somewhat ironic because I think his book is responsible for a generation of lousy, grooveless drummers. It was written for big band players to develop a sense of anticipation to the surrounding melodies-- unfortunately, that is the exact opposite of what was needed from the drummer post 1974. I love big band drumming (and am pretty good at it), but those type of fills will make you sound like a really out of date wedding band musician.

Even to do gardening or any task...it takes some skills.

Good point, and somewhat ironic because I think his book is responsible for a generation of lousy, grooveless drummers. It was written for big band players to develop a sense of anticipation to the surrounding melodies-- unfortunately, that is the exact opposite of what was needed from the drummer post 1974. I love big band drumming (and am pretty good at it), but those type of fills will make you sound like a really out of date wedding band musician.

I'm a little confused by your statement. If a drummer today is playing music that was written and performed pre-1974, wouldn't it be appropriate to play like it's pre-1974? How would those type of fills make you sound like "a really out of date wedding band musician' if that was what the music in-fact called for? Please clarify.

I'm a little confused by your statement. If a drummer today is playing music that was written and performed pre-1974, wouldn't it be appropriate to play like it's pre-1974? How would those type of fills make you sound like "a really out of date wedding band musician' if that was what the music in-fact called for? Please clarify.

I wasn't referring to playing big band music -- it's guys who use that phasing in a contemporary context.

nothing wrong with wedding band musician's, I've done my share of weddings, good money and food.

That's not what I said. I've done them too. But there is a certain amateurish level of musician who can play weddings and nothing beyond. I don't want to be that guy.

I wasn't referring to playing big band music -- it's guys who use that phasing in a contemporary context.

Okay I understand now, thanks.
Back to the topic at hand, I'm grateful for the education and experience with reading that allowed me to take on some challenging pieces in my youth.

That's not what I said. I've done them too. But there is a certain amateurish level of musician who can play weddings and nothing beyond. I don't want to be that guy.

Not if they're doing it well. Anybody can play poorly in any context, we see it all the time. I would be interested in hearing what you consider to be beyond wedding music. On a wedding gig, I will play jazz, big band, Motown, disco, rock, modern rock, pop, country, prog-pop, metal, shoe-gazer, etc. What about your gig that is so much more advanced than covering a dozen styles?

Funny I was thinking about this today when I was wondering how many young people on this forum play in the band or orchestra at school, and how many wimp out for fear of being called band nerds, or think they are just going to be rock stars and have to play rock music all of the time. Thanks for posting this.

Not if they're doing it well. Anybody can play poorly in any context, we see it all the time. I would be interested in hearing what you consider to be beyond wedding music. On a wedding gig, I will play jazz, big band, Motown, disco, rock, modern rock, pop, country, prog-pop, metal, shoe-gazer, etc. What about your gig that is so much more advanced than covering a dozen styles?

I think you're missing the point. And no need to be snotty. I was referring to guys who accent melodies with big band fills in contemporary music styles that require a foundation on the bottom from the drums.

I guess Buddy Rich would be one of those guys. As for the OP, I completely agree that playing in the school orchestra is a valuable endeavor no matter what you end up playing as an adult.

Funny I was thinking about this today when I was wondering how many young people on this forum play in the band or orchestra at school, and how many wimp out for fear of being called band nerds, or think they are just going to be rock stars and have to play rock music all of the time. Thanks for posting this.

Guilty as charged ... I didn't have a clue.

Great post, Jeremy. I, too, learned the rudiments of reading from school band-playing the tuba, but shoot, it got me close to the drums, anyway! Had I had any sense, I would've taken percussion, but I didn't equate this experience with preparing myself for the kit. Foolish!

"That's not what I said. I've done them too. But there is a certain amateurish level of musician who can play weddings and nothing beyond. I don't want to be that guy."

I really see where you're going with this, and fully understand. Please don't take this the wrong way, and I can't speak for anyone else, but reading remarks like that, however honest and heartfelt, intimidate me. Truly. I am one of those amateurs you speak of, and I ASPIRE to play in a wedding band, or some similar outfit. I started playing only a few years ago, so really, membership in a wedding band would, for me, represent the pinnacle of my drumming experience, if I'm fortunate. I don't see it going further. Reading your remark just hammered that reality home to me. Ouch.

Last edited:
Back