Brian Blade

Re: Brian Blade=Ultimate Badass

I saw Brian Blade with his own band at the Atlanta Jazz Festival about six years ago, and I just loved his playing. He plays with just the right amount of abandon, just the right amount of instinctive flow. He's not a control or chops freak. He is a musician, a jazz musician playing the drums, and as such he's at the top in my opinion. The music was great, the band was great, I think it was the Fellowship.
I hate to say it but I don't have any of his CDs. Man I have a list of about 30 good jazz CDs that I want, but there you go.
But I watch him on Youtube and I just love the way he plays. My kind of jazz drummer for sure.
And as off-topic as it is, I have to say that I just love this:

It may be the best that u ever heard, but maybe not us. Neil peart has awesome dynamics and so does Tony willaims and Buddy Rich. But if in your opinion its the best, I will not agree or disaggree. : )

Last edited:
I have 'Perceptual' and 'Fellowship'. Great albums, everything Jay says about the man is great. Intense musical sensibilties and a real feel for what to play and how to play it. Moments of insane fire juxtaposed with great sensitivity. He's just great.

I'm seeing Mr. Blade guy play on the 21st of Feb with Chick Corea and (of course) I'm excited. Checked him out on youtube - hes really cool - and funky so now I can't wait. Its going to be huge - Chick with the Five Peace Band (John McLaughlin, Christian McBride and Kenny Garrett) at the iconic Sydney Opera House. You guys seen him live? Any sweet solos I should expect?

Thanks heaps!

H

Brian Blade is deffinitley one of my favorite modern players, he is AMAZING. Have fun!

I'm seeing them on the 18th I believe?

At Hamer Hall. Which is exciting, cuz it's an all star band, and I've never been to the venue. Trumpet player found out about it, and bought us the tickets.

Then the next month I'm seeing Brad Mehldau!

/begin rant

I'm sooooo friggin mad about this tour with chick corea!!!!!!!!!! cause our school's music department is so awesome, the music theory and music technology classes every year get to miss a day of school to go out and see a sick concert! and guess what, this year the concert was to see chick corea and the five piece band at lincoln center in NYC in april. FOR FREE by the use of this awesome fund raiser. But guess what, our wind ensemble/jazz band was planning this trip for like 10 years, and this was the year we're actually doing it (its a 4 day extravaganza, we go to williamsburg, VA and play music and have a grand ole time). BUT THEY MADE THE TRIP THE EXACT SAME WEEKEND WE WERE GONNA SEE THE 5 PIECE BAND. and now i have to miss probably the best concert ever for free no less to go with the other group!

argh!

/end rant

For me, simply put, Brian Blade is one of the greatest geniuses to play the drums today, and possibly ever.

Well, I'm playing with a singer/guitar player (Timothy Hill ) next month, who has played with Brian Blade. So six degrees of separation right there! ; )

For me, simply put, Brian Blade is one of the greatest geniuses to play the drums today, and possibly ever.
I dont know if Id go as far to say ever. I dont really know of any real innovations Brian Blade brought to the drum-set in a jazz setting. DOnt get me wrong, hes an incredible player, but I just think ever is a very strong word to be using in reference.

Brian Blade IS without doubt, an incredible player. He's a very musical drummer & in my opinion he's definitely earning his place amongst the modern greats ...

I love the vibe of the little Gretsch with the 16" kick: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8VdtC9WhnCg

marvellous stuff!

I just saw yesterday's show.

Holy crap. I now have (yet again) a new favourite drummer.

Hope tonight's is just as good for you.

My band saw them on Wednesday...

We've all agreed that Brian Blade was the star of the show, along with Kenny Garrett, and Christian McBride.

Chick was great, but not as good as I was hoping. John Mclaughlin was a freak (of course) but a little too choppy for my liking. The calls of "Mahavishnu" were very predictable though.

Brian dropped a stick, which was funny, but was in flying form all night long. McBride's solos were outstanding, and Kenny brought a massive amount of emotional energy to the stage.

Brian Blade... My hero

I feel it is absolutely necessary that someone spark a discussion about Brian. He is simply a genius and very very nice actually. I had the privileged of seeing him play with "5 peace band" (john McLaughlin, chick corea) and was stunned not only by his playing but also by how genuinely nice he is. He was playing for Vinnie, and man what a GREAT player. In my opinion his playing is that in which you can appreciate no matter what your musical background is. His creativity is never ending he is an incredible showman, and to be honest i feel as though no one i have ever seen sounds anything like him. I guess i was just curious as to what everyone else thought. He already has quite a rep but i in vision him being one of the all time Jazz greats.

Re: Brian Blade... My hero

He plays great. It is very musical and groovy. I also like how he plays in many very different bands like Joshua Redman, Brian Blade Fellowship, and Black Dub. I think he already is one of the greats.

Brian Blade has definitely become one of my favorite players. I first really got a chance to see just how brilliant he is back in either 2002 or 2003. I got see him twice that year, for free, hells yeah, with both Brian Blade and Wayne Shorter. The man is incredible and I was absolutely floored with his playing both times. I have been a fan ever since. He has been and will continue to be a lasting influence on my playing.

And more. Jazz Crimes, anyone?

Brian Blade has definitely become one of my favorite players. I first really got a chance to see just how brilliant he is back in either 2002 or 2003. I got see him twice that year, for free, hells yeah, with both Brian Blade and Wayne Shorter. The man is incredible and I was absolutely floored with his playing both times. I have been a fan ever since. He has been and will continue to be a lasting influence on my playing.

Agreed and seconded, his incredible versatility and ear for the music is impeccable. And he is soo fun to watch play!

Back