Anybody else like their Attack Heads?

jkevn

Some of you may know, I recovered an old beater set and put an "inexpensive" set of heads on it just to get back in the game. I got a great deal on Attack coated tom heads (single ply), coated 2-ply snare batter / frosted snare side and 22" coated bass batter for about 50 bucks less than the comparable Remos.

That aint alot of money, but it was a new snare stand.

Anyway, I'm tickled with these heads so far! They sound good, feel good, and appear to be pretty durable. Is it a fluke, or are these very under-rated?

I've always considered Attack heads as an inexpensive brand, but then again, I've considered Aquarian that way too.

There's pluses and minuses of course, but my only experience was when I bought my first drum set, one of the toms had an attack head on it and it seemed to work fine for awhile and lasted awhile even with lots of beater marks.

I'd say if you like them, then go with them. If you can get off cheaper, who cares what others think?

Truth is, many people won't buy something unless its endorsed or more "expensive" because they have the snobbish mindset that it's going to be better no matter what. But sometimes the underdog wins out and in your case, it seems it has. :)

They are a pain to get meaning most stores don't stock more than a few of them.
There is always the internet.

I don't know myself if they are any good since I haven't tried them but a friend of mine used it on his toms and he liked the sound they where producing.

I bought a 12" and 16" coated single ply batter off Samash's website. Total transaction came to about 17 bucks, about half of what I paid for 2 new G2's. The only problem is that the heads (and the Axis spring) are on back order so It'll be a while till I get them. If I like the sound I'll probably just start buying Attack single plys as I prefer the sound to doubles.

I don't know when I'll get them but I'll update when they do.

I got the "single ply coated medium batters" from Interstate Music, they seemed to have plenty in stock. I'm not promoting these heads, I'm not an aficionado or anything, the last coated ambassador I pounded was 20+ years ago. I just thought if you're in a bind or looking to save a dime or two, these heads seem to be pretty close to the remos.

They're on a beater set after all....they may not sound near as good on DW's.....tongue planted firmly in cheek....

Eric Singer uses attack heads. I'm pretty sure that Johnny Kelly uses them too.

Quick update as promised.

Got 2 Attack coated single plys (12" and 16") for my stage custom kit. These things sound like CRAP! They're difficult to tune very ringy. I would not recommend them to anyone that's not a tuning ninja. I am certainly not so I'll stick to Evans.

I suppose this goes to show that cheaper drums sound good but cheaper drum heads don't. I switched the Attacks over as temporary reso heads until I can get some G1's. Will not be buying them again.

I bought the Terry Bozzio Snare head set and put them on a cheap Pearl snare. I really liked how they were ringy and made that snare very lively. A great deal of pop and ring. I was looking for a good "big tin can" snare sound and those heads definitely did the trick.

I bought a Terry bozzio head for my Maxwin steel snare. it sounded good and gave a nice ring. maybe a bit too much ring for my personel taste. it was a decent head though and i continued to play it until my entire kit was burned!
I am planning to buy another one for the same snare which i have cleaned up. I think i now know how to tune it right.

If you can afford it, for a snare go for a coated amb

My old teacher has an endorsement with Attack. He used the Terry Bozzio heads on a Tama Starclassic Performer series kit that sounded great. The snare was a 13x7 Dunnette steel shell tuned up kind of high with the Bozzio heads and was one of the best sounding snares I have ever played. I am not sure what the difference is between the Bozzio heads and the standard 1 ply.

Back