Just a G.A.S. observation

"Wants" and NOT "needs" are considered addiction.

ummm.....not for a heroin addict.

I think GAS is just one facet, one indulgence, of the hobby of drums and drumming, nothing to worry about unless you cannot afford it, or its harming other people.

I haven't thought about gear much at all until I started coming to this site. I just bought what I needed, when I needed it. But now I think about gear a lot more, not really acquiring it so much, but always looking at gear & comparing prices & daydreaming about all the stuff I'd like to get. I'm heavy into cymbals, and I think they are my main focus. It's really hard not to purchase when I don't really need it, but then I find out later that it was a good idea to just let it go because I forgot about some bill or another that I didn't pay.

Just consider your time away from here as Rehab. You won't drink nearly as much beer if you stay out of the pubs.

Grass is greener.

What we have seems good enough until we see (or hear) something better. The more you expose yourself to new gear, the more it will be on the mind.

I recently reached a point where I have everything I need. I'm a hobbyist drummer although I do make a little extra income from my playing and its really the only hobby I have. Until this point every new piece of gear was something that I needed for a certain sound. Now I have a very nice set of cymbals, 2 kids and 5 snares. That covers any gig that I could be asked to play at this point.

I was honestly a little sad, like the hunt was over. I enjoy the process of cleaning up old drums, disassembling them and cleaning up all the parts. My wife and roommate have gotten completely accustomed to my latest project sitting in the middle of the living room in some state of being disassembled. I have a vintage Rogers that I'm restoring but i don't need it for any gig so the project as been coming along very slowly. I'll probably sell it once complete and find a new orphaned drum to take in.

I was honestly a little sad, like the hunt was over.

I'm kind of the same with guitars. About ten years ago, I had a lot of money, and I bought some really really nice guitars. I love them, but now I have this crazy sort of melancholy that I can't find anything nicer than what I've got. Also, I've got no excuses left for being a mediocre player other than the fact that I AM a mediocre player ;(

I'm on this forum all the time, reading and replying to gear threads. And once a year, I write a report about new gear.

But none of that has pushed me to go out and buy stuff. The stuff I have, I've owned for years and years, and it still works pretty well.

One of the best ways to avoid GAS but still change your set-up in line with changing times is to swap gear. Adopt a gear in for gear out policy. This way you don't build huge arsenals of unused gear. When something is really good you keep it otherwise move it on.

Part of the fun of being a drummer is the fact that bits and pieces of a kit are interchangeable

Last edited:
I have recently done the same as you Caddy.
I have been taking a break from craigs, eBay, and places on the net where gear is discussed. During the past two years I purchased 6 drum kits. Three of which are vintage kits from Gretsch, Ludwig, and Slingerland that are in near perfect condition. I also have modern kits from Ludwig, Mapex, and Roland. I bought many goodies to improve my kits and many high end cymbals.
I decided that I currently own all of the drumming gear that I will ever need.
I have the sound spectrum covered. I simply have to select what I want from my owned stock of gear.
I looked at this years NAMM offerings and I saw that there was nothing presented that was so different that I needed to get it.
It is a good feeling to be content.

Last edited:
An easy way to avoid overspending is to set up a debit card with only enough money on it to meet your alloted budget. I could buy drums all day but using the debit card approach and only using funds obtained by selling old gear really helps keep my spending in line. I still want a whole room full of stave drums but I'll have to do it gradually. Moving a lot helps too. Once you have to pack and move a lot of drums that you aren't using you see the light, after seeing the orthopedist. Just make sure that you keep the credit card in the desk drawer.

I think for some people it can become a real problem, and it's no joke - serious stuff.

http://resources.depaul.edu/financial-fitness/tackle-overspending/Pages/reasons-we-overspend.aspx

(from the link)

"....Compulsive Spending—Is your spending an addiction?
People joke about "shopaholics," but true compulsive spending is a serious disease. While it is often a problem associated with women, there are no gender barriers to the condition. Look for warning signs:

Are you buying things you never end up using?
Do you spend more time trolling for deals than doing your homework or hanging out with friends?
Are your credit cards at their limits? ...."

Internet forums promote this behavior to a degree. Someone buys something and gets 'congratulations' for it. People start threads about what is your holy grail (material goods).
Produce/consume needs to be balanced with other activities and thoughts to reduce the chance it will become a problem.

I've noticed that some hide behind the term of "collector" to purchase gear they might not be able to afford (e.g. use layaway, credit cards, etc.).

It is a well studied problem (e.g. psychology of debt and spending).

GJS

I find that my fear of pulling the trigger on new gear keeps my G.A.S somewhat in check. That said, I've purchased a new Pork Pie snare drum, a Yamaha hi-hat stand, an Aquarian snare drum head and some Vic Firth sticks so far this year. I can only forsee getting consumables in the future. Maybe a new throne and a boom stand.

I find that my fear of pulling the trigger on new gear keeps my G.A.S somewhat in check. That said, I've purchased a new Pork Pie snare drum, a Yamaha hi-hat stand, an Aquarian snare drum head and some Vic Firth sticks so far this year. I can only forsee getting consumables in the future. Maybe a new throne and a boom stand.

Sure. Whatever you say ;)

Actually, to be honest, I've been a gear rotator, so I don't think I qualify as mentally disturbed gear hoarder. Things come and go around here, or they get re-purposed. But I'm certainly not neglecting the regular bills or the mortgage to continually buy stuff. New clothes come in, old clothes go out. Except for maybe the new Pearl kit ;)

What goes in must come out

I should have said I also keep my GAS in check by laying off the post sound check-pre gig chilli, chicken pathia. My AKG 112 can cope with the the low end rumble, but the FOH mix is a mess.

I am an addict. I am addicted to air, water, food....cannabis, and drum gear. None of these things hurts me.

That is not necessarily true....

I think G.A.S. just comes in waves.

True. For example, my G.A.S. is back. I was just looking at cymbals last night on eBay. Whenever I hear news for detasseling, I automatically think about 500 bucks to buy gear with.

Back