Cleaning materials

FatGaz

OK...so I've got my second hand drum kit, that was stored in a shed for about a year, and has a little bit of rust on the screw threads. What should I use to clean these with?

Plus, what is the best routine / product for cymbals?

Should I just use warm soapy water for the drums? or is there anything else I can use?

Thanks

for the rusty screw threads and hardware bits, soak them in vinegar for a couple hours. It'll dissolve much of the rust, then super fine 0000 steel wool after.

Yep, Lemons as well.

Those look great, How do you actually use the lemons, squeeze the juice out, and use just the juice on a cloth, or actually rub the lemon itself on the cymbal?

Thanks ...

.....or add it to a G n T! :)

You can cut them in half, squeeze them, then just rub the lemon all over the cymbals.

I had some zildjian cymbal cleaner a while back but it began to wear away the logos :(

But an old navy secret.. Don't tell anybody! Ketchup! Haven't used it myself on bronze but it works magic on brass, and we've got plenty of that on ships...

So the lemons won't take the logos off? I am having that issue with groove juice...even when I taped over the logos.

Do you have to use fresh lemons or can you use that stuff in the plastic lemon?

...As for cleaning the drums, I haven't had much experience in that area, but swiffer dusters are great for dust and very gentle. I REALLY don't know the dos and don'ts of cleaning shells or heads, but magic erasers work on a whole host of things - as long as you can get the item damp.

for the rusty screw threads and hardware bits, soak them in vinegar for a couple hours. It'll dissolve much of the rust, then super fine 0000 steel wool after.

NO....... steel wool...ever, except on the worst cases.Steel wool will scratch chrome........every time.

Just use a brass bristle or nylon bristle brush,or better still,just aget a piece of aluminum foil,and crumple it around the tension rods.Using this with WD-40 works even better.

Clean by using a twisting motion,like you were tightening,and loosening the tension rod.

The alunimun is much softer than steel wool,ans acts like an abrasive,and won't scratch chrome.

Mild soap and water,on the wrap or guitar polish on lacquer finishes.

Steve B

Those look great, How do you actually use the lemons, squeeze the juice out, and use just the juice on a cloth, or actually rub the lemon itself on the cymbal?

Thanks ...

.....or add it to a G n T! :)

you cut the lemons in half. squeee the juice on ot the cymbal a bit. then rub the cut side of the lemon all over it. you will see the lemon juice cut away the dirt. after your satisfied with your cleaning, hose them puppies out. if they look good, dry them with a towel... if not, just rub the cut side of lemon over them until they are clean and wash them again.

remember, go with the grooves!!!

So the lemons won't take the logos off?

i went over them with the lemon and they didnt come off. if your worried about them coming off, then jump over them :)

Those cymbals look stunning! I've always been apprehensive about using anything other than elbow grease, but have to give this a go. I used zildjian cymbal cleaner once, and my cymbals have had some black streaks on them ever since :/.

Limes here. I usually cut one, rub it all over, let the acid do its work for a few minutes, then wash it with water. I don't know if there's really any difference, but I like the smell of limes a lot better. No logo damage.

Those cymbals look stunning! I've always been apprehensive about using anything other than elbow grease, but have to give this a go. I used zildjian cymbal cleaner once, and my cymbals have had some black streaks on them ever since :/.

thanks! on the really dirty parts, dont be afraid to put some "elbow grease" in to it. :)

good luck good sir!

Limes here. I usually cut one, rub it all over, let the acid do its work for a few minutes, then wash it with water. I don't know if there's really any difference, but I like the smell of limes a lot better. No logo damage.

limes work too!!

the last 2 cymbals i used a lime cause i ran out of lemons

My cymbals aren't expensive, as cymbals go, but they're the only ones I have, and the idea of water going near them makes me nervous! Do you promise it won't harm them?

And if you hold them in just the right place, they make neat sounds as the water hits them.

I know, kind of silly...but true.

I trust you. You have an honest face. I'll give it a go when I'm back home next week.

My cymbals aren't expensive, as cymbals go, but they're the only ones I have, and the idea of water going near them makes me nervous! Do you promise it won't harm them?

as tamadrm said, just dry them off with a towel completely!

it is true they make awesome noise when the water hits them.

Back