What is your favourite style of drumming?

Egoless. So I don't have to roll my eyes.

I'm always kinda torn with this subject as I love so many styles, but I can narrow it down to two if I try.

Firstly, I don't think there's much that beats true in-the-pocket funk drumming. Tight as a ducks a** and full of attitude, yet still so much fun to play and listen to. You watch most famous or just excellent funk drummers and they always look like they're having the time of their life! Clyde Stubblefield or Joseph Modeliste are absolute icons of this.

The other type I love is something I don't know the exact term for, but it's the style I chose to play in with my band, and its almost a kind of free-form rock drumming...almost like jazz-punk. Lots of time signature and tempo changes, dramatic shifts in dynamics, solid beats and improvisational portions - all within the same song. I guess it could be labeled prog in a very loose sense of the term

I enjoy listening to drumming that contains groove. A drummer that comes to mind is Benny Greb.

boogaloo/soul-funk/proto-rock

For me there was a golden age when the early funk and soul guys were hitting big bouncy boogaloo beats (lots of syncopation/16th on snare n bass) and then started to get copied/adapted by the likes of Appice, Mitch Mitchell and Bonham. I always gravitate to this style if I'm allowed to.

I like to play reggae style a lot, not that I'm very good at it. I'm a fusion drummer with a rock background, but I like to add reggae elements into my playing the most. Stewart Copeland does this too, or if you listen to this song, Vital Signs by Rush, you can hear that reggae element to it.

Blues-rock-funk-soul-jazz.

There are many masters of this style in New Orleans. I really like Yonrico Scott, the drummer from The Derek Trucks Band, who now plays with Royal Southern Brotherhood. I like groove drummers who can tear it up when necessary. Chris Layton and Matt Abts are quite good too. Peace and goodwill.

My background is different than many here. I liked concert band and orchestral playing, not much kit drumming. I now play for my own enjoyment, and have one snare that I like to play snare solo music on (Ludwig, Pratt, Wilcoxon, Moehler,etc). I just like to swing along on that stuff. I want to take it up a notch and get a 16x16 rope tension drum! My great memories are playing Sousa marches in a concert band. Nothing like it!

Back