Wow. Really DW?

DW is the only company out there to make a drum in this specific way. Yes, there are steambent drums out there in abundance, but the Super Solid shells aren't under the tension that steambent shells are, constantly trying to straighten themselves out. I don't know of any other drum manufacturers that boil/microwave their wood shells so that they're denser, either. It's a totally unique process compared to anything that's been done before.

...but, the proof is in the sound. I've played on a couple of these, and thought, "meh". Maybe it's because I got my hopes up...I was expecting to be blown away. They are nice snares, but not $900 nice. I'll wait until I find a cheap one on craigslist to really spend some time tinkering with it.

Oh yeah, and please do explain "niggle", K.I.S.

I wasn't familiar with that process so I actually found it informative. Thanks for posting.

I believe he said that "the10 foot plank was a foot and a half shorter. And it wasn't an inch and a half thick any more. It was an inch thick. And it wasn't six inches high. It was five"

Very informative, I had no idea they were doing that now. Technology has sure opened up some new doors.

DW is the only company out there to make a drum in this specific way. Yes, there are steambent drums out there in abundance, but the Super Solid shells aren't under the tension that steambent shells are, constantly trying to straighten themselves out. I don't know of any other drum manufacturers that boil/microwave their wood shells so that they're denser, either. It's a totally unique process compared to anything that's been done before.

Not saying your wrong, DW's whole process is new, to drum building at least. But,

Yamaha microwaves their drums after they come out of the mold.

Pearl uses a proprietary glue between their plys that they boil to cause the adhesive reaction. The glue liquefies and soaks into the wood before drying. They also claim that their glue dries at the density of wood, so their shells have an even density throughout its thickness.

Ok, time for some clarification here;

First off, I notice we're not included in this list. As the world's only maker of steam bent, stave, & segmented drums in all sizes. that's a shame. An additional niggle is that, despite our omission, the article includes those who don't even make their own shells, & in one case, a company that has bought their shells from us, but here is described as making those same shells themselves. Now that really is annoying, and one reason why we no longer supply solid shells to assemblers.

Ok, that out of he way, DW have certainly brought something new in terms of manufacturing processes to the snare drum market. The super solid shell making process involves super high pressure steam injection and massive forces to break down the timber's natural structure. This allows the wood to be bent with ease, and as the wood's original structure has been broken down, it doesn't try to spring back to it's original shape. This has big finished strength & production cost benefits.

What you end up with is a dense version of the original timber in the form of a very stable shell. This gives (as Brundlefly confirms), a very focussed sound with great sensitivity. Actually, pretty much identical to a hardwood species segmented shell, & a world away from a thinner steam bent shell. Although I very much prefer shells made from unmolested timber, the DW offering is a very valid shell construction choice that brings a controlled sound & structural stability to the market.

So, has John brought something new to the drum market? Short answer = yes. Is it a different & valid addition to the market = yes. Is it a "better" version of traditional steam bent shells already out there = no. Sonically it's closer to segmented than steam bent. The biggest benefits brought by using this construction method are significantly reduced production cost, & improved stability/reliability/repeatability, and that makes the drum more affordable. It's also got a distinctive voice that adds to the mix of drum voices available out there, & that's a good consumer choice thing too. I say good on John for thinking outside of the box & bringing a process into the drum building industry from an unrelated industry. That's innovation right there, & he should be applauded for it. John's also careful not to ride roughshot over traditional constructions in his presentation, and acknowledges the quality that is out there. On balance I'd say, a job well done John.

that's right!! love your drums! thanks for speaking up, because ever since i posted that, i thought to myself, "i know they're forgetting SOMEONE!!!" it was bothering me like crazy. guru drums are amazing. after i discovered your fantastic drum company, i dream of them incessantly!!

Additionally, DW is lowering it's prices for the coming year. Yes they're still expensive but at least they are going the right direction.

Sabian - raising prices
Zildjian - raising prices (twice in a year I think)
Meinl - raising prices
Various Stick companies raising prices
Evans - raising prices

And those are just the ones I know about.

Yamaha microwaves their drums after they come out of the mold.

...but not to make the wood denser, and the shell is still under tension.

Pearl uses a proprietary glue between their plys that they boil to cause the adhesive reaction. The glue liquefies and soaks into the wood before drying. They also claim that their glue dries at the density of wood, so their shells have an even density throughout its thickness.

Sounds interesting. I know that they advertise their "unique" heat-compression molding system, but I didn't know what it was until now. I wonder what that heating does to the dry wood itself...

Additionally, DW is lowering it's prices for the coming year. Yes they're still expensive but at least they are going the right direction.

Sabian - raising prices
Meinl - raising prices
Evans - raising prices

Paiste is raising prices, too, I heard on another forum...

Sabian - raising prices
Meinl - raising prices
Evans - raising prices

But aren't you glad the price of a Big Mac is roughly the same? And how 'bout eggs at the supermarket? If we want to control the percussion items prices, I suggest for one month NOBODY buy ANYTHING!

But aren't you glad the price of a Big Mac is roughly the same? And how 'bout eggs at the supermarket? If we want to control the percussion items prices, I suggest for one month NOBODY buy ANYTHING!

I might make a month, but no longer, please!

Back