The various Yamaha Steel Snares

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
I saw an ad for a 5.5 x 14 Yamaha Steel Snare for sale, they have a picture but the letters and numbers are blurry. It is one of the old square badges with the air vent in the middle, and I could just barely make out that it said "Made In Japan" on it. I haven't tried to call yet, but what models were the MIJ steel snare a part of? I know the Recording Custom released a steel snare version back in the day, but could this be a Stage or Tour series instead? Don't want to go down that road again...

Thanks!

Without pictures its kinda hard to give advice..but here it goes...If it's a "Made in Japan" snare and the badge looks like an RC badge, then it's Probably either a 7000 or 9000 series snare..both of those are good snares...seamless shells, exteded gate snares, 10 or 8 lugs (9000, 7000 respectively), very well made snares...generally speaking any of the "made in Japan" Yamaha drums are considered high end product..

Without pictures its kinda hard to give advice..but here it goes...If it's a "Made in Japan" snare and the badge looks like an RC badge, then it's Probably either a 7000 or 9000 series snare..both of those are good snares...seamless shells, exteded gate snares, 10 or 8 lugs (9000, 7000 respectively), very well made snares...generally speaking any of the "made in Japan" Yamaha drums are considered high end product..

Thanks for the info...how much should I pay for one of these in fairly good shape?

If its 8 lug then its most likely a SD-350MG, which there are usually many for sale. They sell for $75-$100. I would recommend a Ludwig Acrolite instead, which has a more character.

If its a 10 lug then could be a few different models, but would be more worth looking into.

I like most of the steel snares I have played, and Yamaha has always made nice drums. Peace and goodwill.

If its 8 lug then its most likely a SD-350MG, which there are usually many for sale. They sell for $75-$100. I would recommend a Ludwig Acrolite instead, which has a more character.

If its a 10 lug then could be a few different models, but would be more worth looking into.

Yes it is an SD-350MG, I called in to check.

How do these rank up against other Yamaha MIJ steel snares? I also saw one that said "STEEL" and one that said "STEEL SNARE". What are those ones?

Back