Drum Set Suggestion?

?uesto

Silver Member
Hey guys. I come with a small request. I'll be getting a new shell pack for graduation, and I'm trying to decide on a kit. I'm thinking something with a 20" bass drum, and then 10, 12, 14, (I'd only use one rack at a time). Though one of my primary concerns is going to be portability. An 18x22 bass drum is terrible to bring around. I'm concerned a 16x20 isn't going to make all that much a difference. There is the concern of the 14x18 not delivering like any other kick. Of course I can cut a hole and add a kickport, and there's sound guys and whatnot, but for stuff at school, (I refuse to play the kits at school), jam sessions, and gigs without mics, I'm concerned.

Can anyone share some experience, as well as advice? I'd really appreciate it, and it would certainly aid in my next purchase.

Thanks a bunch!

Why not go old school? You could get a 12/14/20 Gretsch or Rogers, or maybe some older 13/16/22 Ludwigs. At least the drums will retain value.

I have no idea about newer shell packs, but think about electric guitars. A vintage Les Paul Standard will always have some value, even with plenty of scratches, and even though more sophisticated instruments exist. And what finishes remain popular? Not the flames or skulls, but the classic ones: the sunbursts, the gold tops, and the flame tops. Strats and Teles have their own "iconic" finishes, too.

I'm sure that opinions will vary widely, but some "classic" drum set finishes, IMO, include champagne sparkle, silver/gold/green sparkle, white marine pearl, and blue oyster. Lacquer finishes are nice, but they don't usually age well (OTOH, I was checking out some wooden samples, and Yamaha's new painted sparkles seem like they'll last forever! They might be a laminate, though, even though they say "painted".).

The biggest problem is the depth, not the diameter so much. An 18" x 18" will take up more floor space than a 14" x 22". Go big around, not deep for the bass if that's something you'd like to be able to do. Shorter depths sound better IMHO, and are easier to move.

Why not go old school? You could get a 12/14/20 Gretsch or Rogers, or maybe some older 13/16/22 Ludwigs. At least the drums will retain value.

I've got 60's Ludwig Mod Oranges, 70's Gretsch USA's, and 90's Recording Customs, (as well as plenty of old cymbals, and I'm sure other drums), when my uncles inevitably leave this planet. As much as I'd love a set of old drums, they're not something I'd ever gig with, or bring to school. I need something more practical, and modern, that I can care about without being distraught over if they are ever lost.

Taye GoKit depending on your need of kick sound without mics. Kits sound great with mics, but without the kick would probably lack low end projection. Whatever you decide make sure you get something with good hardware and cases. Transporting kits around is usally when damage occurs. What type of music are you planning on playing?

Taye GoKit depending on your need of kick sound without mics. Kits sound great with mics, but without the kick would probably lack low end projection. Whatever you decide make sure you get something with good hardware and cases. Transporting kits around is usally when damage occurs. What type of music are you planning on playing?

I've heard good and bad about the GoKits. Not sure if I'm ready for something like that as my only other kit. I'll be playing all different types of music. I'm assuming mostly Jazz and maybe some Big Band stuff at school, with some Fusion stuff, and out of school, Funk/Fusion jam sessions, with quiet acoustic stuff for local gigs.

If you are playing mostly unmiced then forget about the GoKit. Maybe pick yourself up a 20x14 kick for portability. You should be able to coax a good amount of low end without mics of a kick that size. Nice heads and no muffling go a long way.

Hey guys. I come with a small request. I'll be getting a new shell pack for graduation, and I'm trying to decide on a kit. I'm thinking something with a 20" bass drum, and then 10, 12, 14, (I'd only use one rack at a time). Though one of my primary concerns is going to be portability. An 18x22 bass drum is terrible to bring around. I'm concerned a 16x20 isn't going to make all that much a difference. There is the concern of the 14x18 not delivering like any other kick. Of course I can cut a hole and add a kickport, and there's sound guys and whatnot, but for stuff at school, (I refuse to play the kits at school), jam sessions, and gigs without mics, I'm concerned.

Can anyone share some experience, as well as advice? I'd really appreciate it, and it would certainly aid in my next purchase.

Thanks a bunch!

Find a kit with a 14x20 bass drum and you'd be all set!

I can reccomend the Pearl Rhythm traveller. It is designed exactly for your needs, to be quick to set up and bring down, and be portable. They aren't very expensive either, which is a plus. However I have never heard these drums so I cannot comment on their tonal quality and I also cannot comment on their durability.

I've heard good and bad about the GoKits. Not sure if I'm ready for something like that as my only other kit. I'll be playing all different types of music. I'm assuming mostly Jazz and maybe some Big Band stuff at school, with some Fusion stuff, and out of school, Funk/Fusion jam sessions, with quiet acoustic stuff for local gigs.

I'd go with the 18" kick if I were you, or even a 20". I've heard some 18" kicks in rock settings, and I personally prefer the smaller size to the traditional 22". Plus if you are doing mostly jazz, funk, the smaller kick would be best anyway..

Just keep in mind, you can make an 18" kick sound like a 22" a lot easier than you can make a 22" sound like an 18".

Not sure what your budget is, but if you're only going to play jazz/fusion/funk (ie, no hard rock/metal) I'd go 10/14/20. The 20" kick really is quite a bit more portable, especially if you get one 16" or shallower. You could tune those drums up for Jazz/fusion or low and play funk and even some rock/pop. Do you want new or used? If you can swing $1200 to $1500, you can get a top of the line shell pack used from DW, Yamaha, Pearl or Gretsch (well, probably not USA Customs, but maybe Renowns).

That's what I would do if I were you.
If your budget is below $1k, Yamaha Oak Customs, Pearl Vision Maples, or Gretsch Catalinas are where I'd look. PDP's maple kits sound good, but to me (and I own one) the hardware just isn't worth putting up with.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you're only going to play jazz/fusion/funk (ie, no hard rock/metal) I'd go 10/14/20. The 20" kick really is quite a bit more portable, especially if you get one 16" or shallower. You could tune those drums up for Jazz/fusion or low and play funk and even some rock/pop. Do you want new or used? If you can swing $1200 to $1500, you can get a top of the line shell pack used from DW, Yamaha, Pearl or Gretsch (well, probably not USA Customs, but maybe Renowns).

That's what I would do if I were you.
If your budget is below $1k, Yamaha Oak Customs, Pearl Vision Maples, or Gretsch Catalinas are where I'd look. PDP's maple kits sound good, but to me (and I own one) the hardware just isn't worth putting up with.

Yeah, I'd like to keep my shells under $1,000 to leave room for heads, hardware if needed, and other things. I do happen to work in a drum shop though, so an employee discount will help that out significantly.

I was actually thinking about finding a kit with a 14x20, but I'm afraid that might be too vintagey and slappy sounding. I guess I can give it some punch with a little help though.

20x14 is not too slappy sounding. Heads and tuning make it slappy or boomy or evil. The power of the drum key is second to nothing on you kit.

Cool, cool. Not many companies still do a 14x20 unless it's a higher end model though...

This is true. Ludwig would be the easiest to find new but probably out of your price range. If you don't mind used you should be able to find one. Also, don't rule out 20x16-18. These are much easier to find and in the grand scheme of things only an extra 2-4 inches to carry around. Unless you drive a Smart you should be ok.

Back