Mike Portnoy

jackothedrummer1 said:
Personally, Mike Portnoy to me is one of the most involved drummers in the drumming commmunity. He has actually sent me a signed photograph when I ordered his instructional DVD from his website because they shipped it too late for Christmas time. Super nice guy!

As for his kit, why does it matter what the size of ones kit is? He uses all of it on his kit (except the Crotales on his Purple Monster, which I agree shouldn't be there). The truth is, he wants multiple sounds, lots of variety. You can only go so far with a conventionally sized kit. Personally, if I had someone to move and set my kit up for every show, I would do the exact same thing. Why would someone judge whether a drummer is a good/bad drummer by the size of his kit? That's just as bad as someone saying, "Oh, he has long hair, he must be a stoner/idiot/homosexual!" So what if his solos aren't the best, his song compositions are what I truly enjoy. I mean some drummers like T.B. from a certain punk band that really isn't that great, gets a lot of praise. I personally believe Mr. Portnoy to be a better player and song writer then this T.B. character who will remain unidentified by me....
EDIT (NOT Terry Bozzio)

There new album was disappointing.

1) My favorite DT album is Train of thought. Octavarium can't touch it IMO.

2) Mike, Neal, Nikko are a rare breed. Tthey use large kits and the look at home with them. I like that. 98% of the players out there use a 4-6pc kit. These guys operate thier own way.

jackothedrummer1 said:
You can only go so far with a conventionally sized kit.

The rest of your post was pretty reasonable, but not this bit. I'd argue there's plenty of drummers who've gone a lot further than Portnoy on a conventionally sized kit. A few examples that spring to mind:

* Buddy Rich
* Joe Morello
* Elvin Jones
* Tony Williams
* Joey Baron

etc.

More drums doesn't equal more headroom in terms of your ability to expand what can be done with the instrument.

I just ordered the Drumavarium and Drums of thought dvd's. I really like Mike's "in the studio" videos.

finnhiggins said:
The rest of your post was pretty reasonable, but not this bit. I'd argue there's plenty of drummers who've gone a lot further than Portnoy on a conventionally sized kit. A few examples that spring to mind:

* Buddy Rich
* Joe Morello
* Elvin Jones
* Tony Williams
* Joey Baron

etc.

More drums doesn't equal more headroom in terms of your ability to expand what can be done with the instrument.

All of those guys nail solos that run rings around Mikes.

Thinshells said:
I am glad Mike has that huge, almost surreal kit. It's like he is in his office...
i hear you. i use a four peice, but i have nothing but respect for guys who can master kits like that. and he MASTERS it. same with bozzio.

ewanlaing said:
i hear you. i use a four peice, but i have nothing but respect for guys who can master kits like that. and he MASTERS it. same with bozzio.

I like watching his videos. The way he constructs his part. He makes playing all of that gear look easy.

finnhiggins said:
Completely agreed. I simply meant by terms of timbre and variety. I mean you can only have so many sounds out of 4 drums and so many sounds out 3 cymbals (technically 4). I believe that as far as technical ability, those guys are absolutely incredible. I'll try to be more clear next time.

I support this drummer for 5 years! I love him!
Lots of people (and drummer) critisize him. But He can play all styles of music!
He is an excellent showman!
I love Dream theater, because all albums are differents.
Before, his playing seems like Neil Peart, the drum solo of 1993 - with the drum solo of neil peart on YYZ on the live of "exit stage..left"
Mike show us that, we can play like a drummer, and we can be recognized.

The perfect drummer for Dream Theatre. I saw a video of his at a clinic in a dallas music store and it was phenominal. Would love to have a go at his kit indeed.

Last edited:
seen portnoy twice live now....he is a very good drummer,but....as far as the wierd and wonderful time sigs go,sure,it all sounds complicated and clever,which it is ti a certain extent but,if you are writning the stuff,rehearsing for months then recording it,you can come up with any configuration of time sigs....breaking some of his stuff down would be hard,of course it would....its like a crossword..u gotta get inside his way of thinking,but once you learn it,i wouldnt say its the most difficult drumming to copy...he has very fast feet which is an art from in its own right...there are good d/b players.and there are excellent d/b...i think portnoy comes into the the excellent double bass category,at least as far as speed is concerned...i once rehearsed with a band for 6 months,mainly writing...the guitarist was dream theatre crazy....we tried a lot of different time sigs,and believe it or not,once you know where the song is going,you can sound pretty technical..we showcased the set and a lot of people were asking how we knew where we were with the songs and stuff...easy!!! we wrote it and practised like demons......something proffessional musicians have on their side that we amateurs who work for a living dont have as much of.....so try it guys...get ur band together,come up with something weird and complicated and get you mates to listen...see if they find it easy to pick up....oh!1 one more thing....his speed on bass drum is also helped by playing at mass volume so less effort required...he is well miked up live....a very good drummer,but there are lots better

I received two MP dvd's:

Drums of Thought and Drumavarium.

Neither are instructional dvd's. Both are really cool drum-cam videos that show "the making of" albums. Mike even plays his amber Tama acrylic (Bonzo) kit.

It's funny to see Mike clean shaven with short hair. After years of long hair and goatee's like the wildman drummer, now he looks like "Bob " that you go bowling with.

I must admit, I like Train of thought and his drum dvd for that album *much* more than octavarium.

Both are entertaining, nonetheless with isolated drum-only tracks.

He sure is a great drummer, but it's easier to grasp his playing because it's very mathematical, not so swingful like other drummers. His songs are VERY easy to tab down if you have a little patience.

I'm gonna see him tonight with Dream Theater! :D

Well, let's just say there's a reason he received all of those awards by Modern Drummer :)...

He's just one of the best drummers out there on this moment.

I just recently started listening to Dream Theater and LTE, and he pulls some really nice stuff off in those bands.

Mike Portnoy rocks.

I am not a fan of Portnoy. I find his drumming to be far too complex with no real interesting syncopations or bell work. His use of the double pedal or double bass drum in his case is boring and equal to that of metal drummers (which I dont like). I think he's too much of a show off. Plus I read an article where he openly admits to not creating any of his own material and just basically taking riffs from all of his "idols" and using them in his own work. Which put me right off him. No doubt about it, he is a good drummer. But I am of the opinion that hes a glorified bashing metalhead.

Thunderfm said:
I am not a fan of Portnoy. I find his drumming to be far too complex with no real interesting syncopations or bell work. His use of the double pedal or double bass drum in his case is boring and equal to that of metal drummers (which I dont like). I think he's too much of a show off. Plus I read an article where he openly admits to not creating any of his own material and just basically taking riffs from all of his "idols" and using them in his own work. Which put me right off him. No doubt about it, he is a good drummer. But I am of the opinion that hes a glorified bashing metalhead.

He never said he takes riffs from his idols, and then uses them directly in his work. He did however say that he gets a great deal of inspiration out of his idols, and what is wrong with that?

And yeah, Mike's drumming is sometimes really complex...but in some songs he just lays the groove down.

Thunderfm said:
IOW: you don't like Mike because he's not exactly like the drummers that you do like. Makes sense. I think.
'
">Gasp!<... Mike needs to simplfy his playing to Meg White's level..no wait... Mike doesn't sound a thing like Zigaboo Modeliste. I know Zigaboo's style would be perfect for dream theater's music! Arggghhh.... no syncopated grooves to be found in 'metropolis' or 'as I am'.' grrr. Mike should be fired and replaced by Zigaboo or Stanton Moore..."

Psst... your POST is just glorified bashing...

Last edited:
i said before in this topic that portnoys playing is usually easy to break down once you have heard it a few times...as far as soloing goes,he is good but,nothing outstanding...just look at drummerworld video clips of solos....see weckl,gadd,vinnie,buddy etc...then look at mikes offering...different styles i know,but mikes is pretty boring after these guys...

Thunderfm said:

Well, like it or not, he's a METAL DRUMMER. Dream Theater is a PROG METAL band, so you have said nothing.

Plus, there's a saying that goes "copying one is plagiarism; copying many is research". There's nothing wrong in taking inspiration from others.

i was a big fan of mike once. but then i guess i listed to dream theater just TOO MUCH!
it was obvious to point out mike style after awhile with that hand x2 feet x2 thing.
that was the first thing i practiced when i first got my double pedals. and. it took me like half an hour to play it as speeds as fast as the tracks that has those rolls.
it is clear that mike's playing has become kinda stale and more to the metal side. well duhh. he is the metal head among his band.

but i kinda like those little cute "clown walking over a tight rope" kind of tunes that dream theater likes to play once in awhile. it kinda makes things light and interesting apart from the other songs like "Panic Attack" from the latest album which is kinda a disppointment to me. hmm.. u can call it evolution or watever. personally i feel that. dream theater is losing that X factor it had years ago when it was playin albums like Images and Words.

u can to give mike some credit cuz those hand x2/ feet x2 rolls are pretty decent and clean. though.. many drummers can do it too. haha. well mike is an interesting drummer. but please, i suggest that u move on. i mean. don't just stick to mike. though he has pretty sweet chops and can play as if there are 2 drummers. i recently got the hang of symphony X and i find that the drummer plays much simpler stuff and allows the music to breathe. i think that's very important in music composition rather than dumping tons of demi-semi quaver rolls throughout 5min. i'm not saying that mike does this thing though.
of course. being a seasonal drummer. mike does know when to play this and when not to play that. but i guess.. sometimes he just gets carried away? =)

cheers. no offence to portnoy fans. i was one of u guys too! haha!

Back