Gibraltar 9711GS pedal

P

paradiddle pete

I' d like to hear opinions about this pedal.Anyone got one? Or tried one?

I got one at the beginning of the year, but it feels too heavy for my tastes. You may like a heavier pedal but it isn't for me. To me, it has the feel of a DW9000 or another big, heavy pedal with a lot of power behind each stroke. I use a Sonor Perfect Balance (Jojo pedal) so my tastes run toward lighter, faster pedals that have a more direct feel to them.

I really do like a lot of things about this pedal (which is why I bought one) but after playing it for a few weeks I just couldn't get into it. Perhaps if I adjusted the cam and all that then I could have made it feel like I wanted to, but I really don't like pedals that I have to fiddle with incessantly to make them feel right.

I like the design. The protected spring with the dial for adjusting tension is nice. The attachment to the bass drum is really the best feature in my opinion. It has a lot of adjustment points (cam position, beater angle, footboard height, etc) so if you really need to tweak it out then you can.

I have one.....I really like it. Lots of adjustment points, smooth, fast, looks great too. But.....

now that I've had it awhile, I think I should have saved my money and kept my old Pearl pedal. It was nothing special, but I think the Gibraltar was just way too much $$ considering how new I am to all this, and i don't gig! I bought it with my penis, ya know?!

I am thinking about selling it. Bought new 2 months ago for $200, selling for $150. If you are interested, let me know, maybe we could work something out.

Thanks for the feedback, it would be good if we could try gear out before we buy it wouldn't it? I also have a JoJo pedal that is quickly making me fond of it so i will hopefully talk my local drumstore into a tryout of the GS9711..

First of all, in case you didn't find it, here is another thread on this pedal:
Gibraltar G Class pedal

Yes, I own one. I like it. I also own an older IC, a Speed Cobra, and I recently parted with a Pearl Eliminator (all singles). For my style, blues and rock -- where I'm playing occasional fast stuff, but nothing terribly intricate -- all of these pedals perform admirably. There may be minor differences, IMO, but, given the vast adjustability all of these pedals offer, you can get them all feeling roughly the same. As far as the "heavy" comments, I'm not sure what people mean by this. Is it the beater weight? If so, then yeah, it's a little heavy. I tried my IC beater on the G Class, and that definitely did change the feel of the pedal -- much lighter feel, but I couldn't get the same oomph and power out of it.

A common complaint I've seen online is that the metal Gibraltar logo cap on top the beater comes off. This cap is what the magnetic weights adhere to. If it comes off, you cannot use the provided magnetic weights. This also happened to mine, but a little bit of 5-minute epoxy took care of that.

As far as price/value goes...I bought mine used (like new) for $120. It's a great value at that point. Another pedal that intrigues me (but I haven't tried it) is the Gibraltar 9600 series. These can be had in chain, strap, or direct drive for $120-140. Looks like a nice pedal. I've tried the 9600 hi hats, as well as a 6600 series double pedal -- overall, I think Gibraltar is putting out some good stuff these days.

Last edited:
One more thing about this pedal...with the single support, when you have the base of the pedal clamp centered at the bottom of your bass drum hoop, the beater will strike slightly right of center on the head. Not a big deal, but if your bass drum patch is centered, you'll notice it.

Back