2 ply coated heads sounding deader lately

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
For at least 2 years now, it could be close to 3 years, it seems that any new 2 ply coated head I buy, be it coated G2 or a coated Emp...they seem to sound thicker and deader than I recall. I recall changing the head on my snare in late 2010 and my wife asking me...what's with your snare tonight? Not in a good way. I told her it's a brand new head.

It seems like with a new head, I have to play it for a few months before it starts to really sing. Has anyone else thought their new 2 ply heads sound deader than 2 ply heads of 2009 and back? I sure do. To the point where I took steel wool and rubbed some of the coating off. This helped a little, but it still never got the tone I was used to.

In fact I thought my 14 x 6.5 BB was a dud. For 2 years, I tried everything I could to get that drum to open up and it just wouldn't. Very frustrating for me because of all the praise the BB gets here. Then just last week as a last ditch effort to get this drum to wake up, I put a 3 year old used batter head on it, a coated emp. OMG, shut the front door, I love that drum now. The old head TOTALLY woke the drum up. Night and day. I'm so glad I didn't sell it. Now I understand why people rave about this drum, what a tone. In the 2 years I had it, I tried all kinds of combinations, with dismal results, but the one common factor is I always used brand new coated 2 ply heads on it. 3 different ones.

Does anyone have similar experiences with newer 2 ply coated heads?

I ordered an Aquarian Super 2 coated head. That's a 2 ply coated head, made up with a 7 mil layer and a 5 mil layer. (G2's and Emps are 2 layers of 7 mil). I will be reviewing it in a week or so. I have high expectations for this. I will be putting it on my BB, to see if it retains the amazing tone of the 3 year old coated emp it has on it now. I hope so, because new coated G2's and Emps sound so dead to me when they're brand new. I am not willing to play a dead sounding snare for a few months until the coating gets beaten down, and I don't feel I should have to abrade the coating off on a brand new head.

I'm hoping Aquarian can save me here. I also ordered a Response 2, which is Aquarian's version of a coated Emp or G2. I will be reviewing that too. I may even do a recording comparing the Aquarians to a brand new coated G2 I have.

No, but if the Aquarians don't do it for me, I will.

I have always disliked new heads. I think it takes, as you said, a few months to get the heads to tune to my satisfaction. When I change out snare heads I will actually take the old head off my backup snare and use that on my primary. This is something I noticed years ago, so not a new development for me.

No problems with the Evans ST (SuperTough), they're lively and articulate, and the quality is extremely consistent... I've never encountered a bad one. I use them almost exclusively on my snares, except where I need more delicate work like orchestral or brushes, which is seldom these days.

Bermuda

I like a single ply head on my BB. It might just be in my mind but it seems to have a bit more depth and sensitivity.

I use a thin control ring/moon gel to kill some of the ring.

Re: response 2's, I put some on my sonor toms, I think I like them better than g2's/emperors.

I have never used a 2 ply head on a snare drum in my entire 40 years of playing.
The thickest head that I use is an Ambassador-X. I only use the thicker Amb-X head when I am gigging with no mic on the snare, and playing Rock and Country style music where I know that I will be hitting hard.
I recently bought a used BB 5x14. It came with a PS3 on it. I hit it once and I took it off :) YUCK!!! A wonderful drum was ruined by the wrong head. No wonder why the previous owner sold it.
I have used a PS3 on my Gretsch COB and it was OK. Ludwig snare drums are fussy.

I have never used a 2 ply head on a snare drum in my entire 40 years of playing.
The thickest head that I use is an Ambassador-X. I only use the thicker Amb-X head when I am gigging with no mic on the snare, and playing Rock and Country style music where I know that I will be hitting hard.
I recently bought a used BB 5x14. It came with a PS3 on it. I hit it once and I took it off :) YUCK!!! A wonderful drum was ruined by the wrong head. No wonder why the previous owner sold it.
I have used a PS3 on my Gretsch COB and it was OK. Ludwig snare drums are fussy.

Agreed- single ply is my absolute preference for snares. I have a friend that keeps suggesting I get an Emperor X (two ply plus a power dot!) and I wonder how long it'll be before I just start openly mocking that head in front of him. I used to occasionally use a Vintage A but found that the X14/G14 is basically a single-ply version of that.

(Although the Controlled Sound is also one of my favorite heads- technically, sort of two-ply.)

Anyways, I haven't really noticed this phenomenon with my Super 2s and White Suede Emperors, but I'm eager to hear your results!

For at least 2 years now, it could be close to 3 years, it seems that any new 2 ply coated head I buy, be it coated G2 or a coated Emp...they seem to sound thicker and deader than I recall. I recall changing the head on my snare in late 2010 and my wife asking me...what's with your snare tonight? Not in a good way. I told her it's a brand new head.

It seems like with a new head, I have to play it for a few months before it starts to really sing. Has anyone else thought their new 2 ply heads sound deader than 2 ply heads of 2009 and back? I sure do. To the point where I took steel wool and rubbed some of the coating off. This helped a little, but it still never got the tone I was used to.

In fact I thought my 14 x 6.5 BB was a dud. For 2 years, I tried everything I could to get that drum to open up and it just wouldn't. Very frustrating for me because of all the praise the BB gets here. Then just last week as a last ditch effort to get this drum to wake up, I put a 3 year old used batter head on it, a coated emp. OMG, shut the front door, I love that drum now. The old head TOTALLY woke the drum up. Night and day. I'm so glad I didn't sell it. Now I understand why people rave about this drum, what a tone. In the 2 years I had it, I tried all kinds of combinations, with dismal results, but the one common factor is I always used brand new coated 2 ply heads on it. 3 different ones.

Does anyone have similar experiences with newer 2 ply coated heads?

I ordered an Aquarian Super 2 coated head. That's a 2 ply coated head, made up with a 7 mil layer and a 5 mil layer. (G2's and Emps are 2 layers of 7 mil). I will be reviewing it in a week or so. I have high expectations for this. I will be putting it on my BB, to see if it retains the amazing tone of the 3 year old coated emp it has on it now. I hope so, because new coated G2's and Emps sound so dead to me when they're brand new. I am not willing to play a dead sounding snare for a few months until the coating gets beaten down, and I don't feel I should have to abrade the coating off on a brand new head.

I'm hoping Aquarian can save me here. I also ordered a Response 2, which is Aquarian's version of a coated Emp or G2. I will be reviewing that too. I may even do a recording comparing the Aquarians to a brand new coated G2 I have.

There might be something to this. I put a Response 2 on my Supra a while back and though it sounded dead. Weird, because I used to like that head on the snare. I think I was just used to the plain Texture Coated head on there.

I did buy a Super 2 head for the church kit though and it sounds great.

...(Although the Controlled Sound is also one of my favorite heads- technically, sort of two-ply.)...

i just took off a control sound head of my snare. bought it 2 weeks ago and it made my snare sound deep/dead. i did not like it :( so.... i swapped it out an hour ago with an ambassador.
now its got the nice bright tone i was looking for.

my snares a DW bamboo/birch 5.5x14 btw

Try the Remo coated controlled sound, BUT, get the one with the clear dot underneath. Big difference from the black dot.

Trust me. It's like a regular Ambassador, with a bit more low end. Feel is identical.

Try the Remo coated controlled sound, BUT, get the one with the clear dot underneath. Big difference from the black dot.

Trust me. It's like a regular Ambassador, with a bit more low end. Feel is identical.

Seconded! The clear dot is much thinner than the black dot (2mil as opposed to 5mil), and the coated/white dot is 3mil. I usually use the clear head with the black dot for heavier applications- a sort of Superior Drummer, Meshuggah-esque sound.

Back