What's your latest purchase?

Not really a purchase. I won this at Carter McLean's recent Masterclass last weekend. This thing is so much fun! It gives me a cool new pallet of sound to play with.

14" Morph-Ring

Attachments

• IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 769
Not really a purchase. I won this at Carter McLean's recent Masterclass last weekend. This thing is so much fun! It gives me a cool new pallet of sound to play with.

14" Morph-Ring

What does that sound like? How heavy is it?

Where you at? Who you with?

What does that sound like? How heavy is it?

Where you at? Who you with?

Lol, hey Larry!

It's a Morf-Ring by Morfbeats. I believe it's solid diamond plate steel. About 1/16" thick. It feels like it weighs around a pound. I was at Carter's Masterclass last Sunday. 5.5 hours of awesomeness! He was giving away a bunch of gear and I was lucky enough to snag it. I'm loving this thing!

It sounds like this...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbE8-KMjnyS/?hl=en&taken-by=cartermac

Last edited:
Lol, hey Larry!

It's a Morf-Ring by Morfbeats. I believe it's solid diamond plate steel. About 1/16" thick. It feels like it weighs around a pound. I was at Carter's Masterclass last Sunday. 5.5 hours of awesomeness! He was giving away a bunch of gear and I was lucky enough to snag it. I'm loving this thing!

It sounds like this...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbE8-KMjnyS/?hl=en&taken-by=cartermac

Well bust my britches it is diamond plate. I wasn't sure. I thought actual diamond plate would be too heavy. Sounds pretty cool, definitely modern.

Didn't Max Roach use them :)

1971 Acrolite, freshly acquired via eBay! Sounds great, even though the snare wires and heads need replacing.

The signatures on the batter head weren't advertised with the drum (and come to think of it the batter head wasn't shown in the pics) but one of them is Lenny White. Whether it's real or not, who knows?

IKGa9Sa.jpg

This thang is Superb, a silvery sweet thing of ring, ping and bling.

Attachments

• IMG_7488.jpg
    IMG_7488.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 700
I bought a Gretsch yesterday! 1981 stop sign badge: 14x10, 16x16, 18x18, 24x14 and a Gold Series bell brass snare. My dad and I had a booth for Corvettes at Carlisle this weekend and I found this kit on craigslist in West Virginia for a price I couldn't pass up, so I made a point to take the long way home. They're going to get some fresh heads and a little polishing tonight.

HacgyQ1.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations for some spurs for this kick? It has two wimpy things that go through the shell on the batter side, and one vertical spike on the front hoop, and I really just don't trust it.

Great kit , i had one just like that but 70's played it for years... i used to put a sand bag in front of it, worked fine. I agree with Grunt the spurs should be at the reso side, seems to be back to front.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's from the era when they had a 16" too, right? I bet it is all of the best knees of all of the best bees. What happened to the diamond project you were working on?

Yes a 16" i can get but way too expensive, the full dress diamond thing is on hold as i gather the right materials so as to screw it up in an aesthetically pleasing manner. So far 15" hats, 20" flat ride and 18" china, are sitting pretty nice together.

Attachments

• IMG_7489.jpg
    IMG_7489.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 707
I bought a Gretsch yesterday! 1981 stop sign badge: 14x10, 16x16, 18x18, 24x14 and a Gold Series bell brass snare. My dad and I had a booth for Corvettes at Carlisle this weekend and I found this kit on craigslist in West Virginia for a price I couldn't pass up, so I made a point to take the long way home. They're going to get some fresh heads and a little polishing tonight.

HacgyQ1.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations for some spurs for this kick? It has two wimpy things that go through the shell on the batter side, and one vertical spike on the front hoop, and I really just don't trust it.

Great find! Beautiful, and perfect sizes in my opinion.

I got a 50's reissue P bass and an 8 x 10 Ampeg SVT and a Genzler 800 watt class D bass amp.

I bought it for therapeutic purposes. I tune to A=432 and bask in the pants shaking bliss.

Killer rig. I had one of the 50’s classic basses. Great player and great sounding. My last head was a MESA D800. I never got around to trying a new Genzler before I went back to drums. I still have a Jazz and a PJ, but I have to play them through my PA these days- but I’m having so much fun drumming I rarely pick them up...

Years ago, I played a Ludwig Speed King. Didn't play for several years and one of my sons took up the drums, so I gave him the Speed King. Now that I'm playing again and playing Ludwigs, I just wanted to have a Speed King. Found one in mint condition on Reverb and it will be here this week.

Yesterday, I found a pair of 13" A Custom Hats from the 90s at a pawn shop for 40 bucks! A little thin for my taste, so I'm currently using a Dyno Beat on the bottom. I brought them to jmy jam last night and they sounded wonderful! I'll be using them as part of the Rush tribute show I'm doing in a month, since they sound more like Neil's hats than the prototype Sabian HHs I've been using up to this point.

I ordered 2 Pearl Rocket Toms; 6x12 and 6x15. Expect them to arrive friday. I will try to sneak them in to the left my 10" tom in the gap there. Have a set of rototoms and have been trying to get those in a sweet spot for ages now, but still struggling to position them nicely. But i want some high pitched sounds in my setup and think the rocket toms will do nicely. Can add them to my dr-80 rack with some spare clamps i have lying around, so problem of mounting these is no issue :)

On the workbench today: Kelly Shu PRO Mount, new Sennheiser e901 mic and new old stock Audio-Technica ATM-25. Not shown: Kelly Shu FLATZ e901 Mount (already installed in 24" bass drum).

Attachments

• BassDrumInstall1LoRes.jpg
    BassDrumInstall1LoRes.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 494
Had to pull the trigger on this Magstar brass snare drum. Sounds great.

Attachments

• magstar.jpg
    magstar.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 454
Back