DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 05-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Default Anyone have the SONOR SQ1 series with 24 inch kick?

I'm looking at SONOR SQ1's and see they offer a 24x 14 kick. Plus a 22 x 18 and a 20. Just curious if anyone likes the 24 x 14 over the 22 x18. I already have a fantastic 22 x 14 with my vintage Ludwig set. I'm thinking of a 24 inch with my next one.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Anyone have the SONOR SQ1 series with 24 inch kick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
I'm looking at SONOR SQ1's and see they offer a 24x 14 kick. Plus a 22 x 18 and a 20. Just curious if anyone likes the 24 x 14 over the 22 x18. I already have a fantastic 22 x 14 with my vintage Ludwig set. I'm thinking of a 24 inch with my next one.
I'd have to think that an SQ1 with a 24,13,16 config would be just a killer setup. That's what I'd go with, in black onyx w/natural hoops (oo lala) but make sure you can fit it in your vehicle. Although this setup ( see link ) is pretty nasty too. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. I own and have a very high opinion of Sonor, made in Germany, drums. My Delite shells are vintage thin maple but seriously, how good do these sound????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLKIpCgoOrQ

Cheers,
Todd

Last edited by T_Weaves; 05-17-2018 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added link
Old 05-17-2018, 08:54 PM

Even the 22 in the video is killer. I wish sonor made an sq1 24x18
Old 05-18-2018, 01:08 AM

I found an sq1 24 inch kick video. The demo is for a Dixon snare drum Mics not really great for showing off the kick. Still a nice looking drum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhhHGIIuK3I
Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 AM
MasterBlaster

I'm kinda starting to get a fever for some Sonor...
Old 05-18-2018, 02:32 AM

I just received a 13/16/24 SQ1 set a couple of weeks ago, and the bass drum sounds exactly like what a 24" should sound like: authoritative, with tons of bottom end. Since it ships with Sonor-stamped PS3s front and back, there's not a lot of boom, just depth. I think it would compliment your 22" Super Classics nicely.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hunter View Post
I just received a 13/16/24 SQ1 set a couple of weeks ago, and the bass drum sounds exactly like what a 24" should sound like: authoritative, with tons of bottom end. Since it ships with Sonor-stamped PS3s front and back, there's not a lot of boom, just depth. I think it would compliment your 22" Super Classics nicely.
Great to hear. I've always heard that a 24 is only suited for loud music or unmic'd performances. However, I think a 24 with the right heads can play in any genre. To be honest, if I order an sq1 kit, they would stay in my studio. I would gig with my current Ludwigs (It would be small acoustic gigs nothing big) or purchase a smaller kit. If I found the 24 too much for what I record (I sometimes compose/sell stock audio bits) I can just throw in the 22.

Thanks for the feedback..that was really helpful
Old 05-19-2018, 12:32 PM

I was reading a great point made elsewhere on a forum (could have been here at DW). The OP was told a 24 inch BD is only suitable four loud music. However, a responder stated that Neil Peart, Steve Smith etc used 24's on recordings and nobody knows the difference. I have to say he's correct. Unless the BD was changed in the studio, Peart used 24 inch bass drums on Moving Pictures. Just sounds like a normal properly tuned/mic'd bass drum. Most drums are all muffled anyway in the studio.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
How's the tuning on your new SQ1's? Easy to tune at low, mid high ranges? My vintage Ludwigs takes some major work to tune right (some drums easier than others). I think I have some bearing edge issues on my 13 inch tom. My 12 inch tom is slightly out of round and is the easiest to tune
Old 05-31-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
How's the tuning on your new SQ1's? Easy to tune at low, mid high ranges? My vintage Ludwigs takes some major work to tune right (some drums easier than others). I think I have some bearing edge issues on my 13 inch tom. My 12 inch tom is slightly out of round and is the easiest to tune
No problems with tuning whatsoever, though I generally tune my larger drums low-midrange for toms and bass, so I haven't experimented with higher tunings. I CAN say that they sound superb. Different enough from my Prolite and Vintage Series sets. They are definitely keepers.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
No problems with tuning whatsoever, though I generally tune my larger drums low-midrange for toms and bass, so I haven't experimented with higher tunings. I CAN say that they sound superb. Different enough from my Prolite and Vintage Series sets. They are definitely keepers.
Glad to hear. I may pull the trigger. I really do not want to wait 8 months for a custom ordered set. Every SQ2 and Prolite set I see online always has the wrong finish.

Last edited by DaleClark; 06-04-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:45 PM

I know what you mean. I ordered an SQ2 snare in Walnut Brown Burst back in early January and am still waiting. And the only reason I ordered that one is because they discontinued WBB for the Prolite series, which is what I have. The limited Sonor finish choices on their production line drums can be frustrating.

Speaking of finishes, I didn't really care that much for the flat SQ1 choices at first, but the Cruiser Blue slowly started growing on me, and they actually look much richer in person. I got an irresistible offer for my set plus matching snare, so I bit. There are definitely deals out there on the old (2017) stock, if you want to look into those. I noticed that Sonor recently increased prices by about 7% for the 2018 SQ1s.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:01 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean. I ordered an SQ2 snare in Walnut Brown Burst back in early January and am still waiting. And the only reason I ordered that one is because they discontinued WBB for the Prolite series, which is what I have. The limited Sonor finish choices on their production line drums can be frustrating.

Speaking of finishes, I didn't really care that much for the flat SQ1 choices at first, but the Cruiser Blue slowly started growing on me, and they actually look much richer in person. I got an irresistible offer for my set plus matching snare, so I bit. There are definitely deals out there on the old (2017) stock, if you want to look into those. I noticed that Sonor recently increased prices by about 7% for the 2018 SQ1s.
I know they are totally different drum lines, however, how noticible are the differences between the Proloites ( duil, fit and finish) etc? I think the GT black looks great online...no sq1s locally
Old 06-04-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I know they are totally different drum lines, however, how noticible are the differences between the Proloites ( duil, fit and finish) etc? I think the GT black looks great online...no sq1s locally
The fit and finish quality between the Prolite and SQ1 are very much the same... both are excellent. The shell hardware is identical and outside mount differences (TAR vs Sound Sustainer), it's the sound (shell composition) and finish differences that attract people to one or the other. Some people prefer either gloss or matte lacquers because of aesthetics and/or durability vs maintenance, but it's really a personal choice.

You seem to be interested in the SQ1 mostly because of it's sound and just trying to decide on a finish by seeing it in person. If it helps, the original video you posted (Shane at DCP) is very representative of both the SQ1 sound and the GT Black finish. I've seen all 4 finishes in person and of all of them, the black seems to vary the least in hue in most photos and probably the safest to buy "sight unseen".

As far as trying to find your desired configuration online (324 base model + additional toms, right?), keep in mind while many Sonor dealers may not have something in inventory, it very well may be in US distribution (KHS America in Nashville/Mount Juliet) and eliminate the need for a custom order to Germany.

I'm sure you don't want to unnecessarily bother dealers until you're near-ready to order, but I would humbly recommend calling a few (e.g. SamIAm, Dale's, DCP, Fork's, etc.) and get pricing and availability on an initial design. You may find some important differences in response, availability and cost that will help steer you to one that can best meet your needs for both the order and follow-on support. Most of the dealers I believe you're considering also support Tama and others so you'll gain some valuable insight to a preferred dealer whether you purchase a Sonor, Tama or other kit.

Hope this helps ease the stress a little.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:49 AM

Thakorvfeedback. I have chatted with Sam on occasion and he always helpful. Sam does get prolites in from time to time.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:52 AM

CA you explain sq2 and prolites in vintage shell? I see lots of configurations with vintage shell. Is the shell same as vintage series?
Old 06-05-2018, 04:44 AM

No problem at all. Sam is very helpful. Even if he or others currently don't have product on hand, they can/will first check inventory at distribution when citing availability.

Regarding the vintage shell, keep in mind the distinction between shell type, shell material and series. Sonor's website is a good source for info, but here are some key points:

SHELL TYPE
Bass Drums
- Vintage: 6mm/9-ply with 2mm/3-ply re-ring
- Medium: 6mm/9-ply
- Heavy: 8mm/12-ply
Other Drums
- Vintage: 4mm/6-ply with 2mm/3-ply re-ring
- Thin: 5mm/9-ply

SHELL MATERIAL
- Beech
- Birch
- Maple
- Acrylic

SERIES
- SQ2: Any SHELL TYPE and Any MATERIAL above
- SQ2 Pre-Configured: Vintage SHELL TYPE and Maple MATERIAL
- ProLite: Vintage SHELL TYPE and Maple MATERIAL *1
- Vintage: Medium SHELL TYPE and Beech MATERIAL *2
- SQ1: 10mm/10-ply, 7mm/7-ply SHELL TYPE and Birch MATERIAL *3

*1 Recall the similarity between the ProLite and SQ2-PC I noted in another thread that may explain why the ProLite may be getting de-emphasized.

*2 Rounded bearing-edge instead of 45 degree.

*3 Noted to be European Birch rather than the Scandinavian Birch in SQ2.

Last edited by fl.tom; 06-05-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl.tom View Post
No problem at all. Sam is very helpful. Even if he or others currently don't have product on hand, they can/will first check inventory at distribution when citing availability.

Regarding the vintage shell, keep in mind the distinction between shell type, shell material and series. Sonor's website is a good source for info, but here are some key points:

SHELL TYPE
Bass Drums
- Vintage: 6mm/9-ply with 2mm/3-ply re-ring
Other Drums
- Vintage: 4mm/6-ply with 2mm/3-ply re-ring
- Thin: 5mm/9-ply

SHELL MATERIAL
- Beech
- Birch
- Maple
- Acrylic

SERIES
- SQ2: Any SHELL TYPE and Any MATERIAL above
- SQ2 Pre-Configured: Vintage SHELL TYPE and Maple MATERIAL
- ProLite: Vintage SHELL TYPE and Maple MATERIAL *1
- Vintage: Medium SHELL TYPE and Beech MATERIAL *2
- SQ1: 10mm/10-ply, 7mm/7-ply SHELL TYPE and Birch MATERIAL *3

*1 Recall the similarity between the ProLite and SQ2-PC I noted in another thread that may explain why the ProLite may be getting de-emphasized.

*2 Rounded bearing-edge instead of 45 degree.

*3 Noted to be European Birch rather than the Scandinavian Birch in SQ2.

Ahh I get it. It's the bearing edge on the Vintage series that is unique. So the vintage "shell type" seems to be the standard unless you order something different with the SQ2 or purchase SQ1's. That really clears things up :)
Old 06-05-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Ahh I get it. It's the bearing edge on the Vintage series that is unique. So the vintage "shell type" seems to be the standard unless you order something different with the SQ2 or purchase SQ1's. That really clears things up :)
It was just a commonly requested shell type for Designer/SQ2 so they created the Delite/ProLite to have a little more affordable series. Then the SQ2-PC series was created that seemingly overlaps the ProLite... which may indicate future plans to discontinue the ProLite.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:12 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Nicko's Sonor SQ2..........
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Nicko's Sonor SQ2..........
Nicko's kits are truly one of a kind.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl.tom View Post
It was just a commonly requested shell type for Designer/SQ2 so they created the Delite/ProLite to have a little more affordable series. Then the SQ2-PC series was created that seemingly overlaps the ProLite... which may indicate future plans to discontinue the ProLite.
Rumor has it that the pre-configured SQ2s sales were a disappointment, so the Prolites will continue on.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Rumor has it that the pre-configured SQ2s sales were a disappointment, so the Prolites will continue on.
Very well could be. My comment was just intended as a potential explanation for what Dale noted a few weeks ago...
Quote:
SO first two levels are made/assembled in Germany correct? As were older Delites? Plus, If I wanted a modern non SQ2 Maple (or Vintage series), Prolite would be the way to go? I saw on an older video where Portsmouth Drums purchased a few Prolite kits and stated due to cost, SONOR was focusing more on SQ2, Vintage and SQ1 in the states for their higher end drums. There are not many new Prolites at various drum store sites
To both your points, they just need to pick one. ;-)
Old 06-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would wager their entire lineup might be a sales disappointment.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:01 AM

I know this sounds crazy, but, part of the appeal of Sonor is there are not tons of them everywhere here in the US. It seems DW has flooded the drum shops as far as inventory is concerned. I wonder if DW offers incentives to carry lots of inventory.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:24 PM

Can one purchase the "bass drum lug knobs" used on the sq2 and they would fit the SQ1's?
Old 06-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Can one purchase the "bass drum lug knobs" used on the sq2 and they would fit the SQ1's?
Yeah I think Samiam Studios has them.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, but may be costly.

Despite different part numbers, almost positive the lugs on the SQ2 and SQ1 (and Prolite) are identical, but the claws are different for the Easy-Grip (knob-stye) tension rods so believe you'll need to swap both...

SQ1 BD parts: (190 029 01 claw and 190 268 01 rod)
http://de.sonor.com/fileadmin/hohner...bass_drums.pdf

SQ2 BD parts: (190 349 01 claw and 190 350 01 rod)
http://de.sonor.com/fileadmin/hohner...bass_drums.pdf

The rods come 3 to a pack so you'll end up with 1 extra for a 20-lug BD.

Also, I've found parts like this can be much less expensive if purchased from Germany rather than the U.S. www.stdrums.de is a good source. No VAT, discount for quantity 10+, and actual shipping (instead of flat rate like Thomann). Email Gerd at sales for pricing.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:34 PM

Thanks for info. I'm hoping, after we finish a couple of house projects, to purchase a new kit in late July. The SQ1's seem to be a top notch set. I love the sound in the videos (which may mean nothing). I'll have a fantastic birch set (SQ1) and a vintage style maple set (my 1960's Ludwig classics). So really best of modern and vintage sounding drums.

I would purchase the SQ1 pre configured set (still not decided 22 or 24 BD) and then order 2 or 3 more rack toms and another floor tom (based on which configuration I get). I always wanted a larger set with 3 or 4 rack toms so I might as well splurge now.

although I love 18 inch floor toms, I doubt I would order a new one. I do have my Ludwig 18 inch
Old 07-27-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
If you want to hear the SQ1 drums in action, have a listen to Dan + Shays new self-titled album (Nir Z is the drummer). The drums sound incredible. He told me that he was using the 24 kick drum along with the 10, 13, 16, and 18 toms.