DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:43 AM

Default Re: No Talent Hack, But Loving It....

Sadly, I'm not convinced that just ANYONE can play the drums so long as they put the hours in.

As one or two others have said, some people just possess a natural physical and mental predisposition towards certain activities - one of them being drumming.

I have a long-time friend/bandmate who is an accomplished all-round musician. He plays, to a high standard, saxophone, keyboards, Scottish bagpipes, flute and more.

Drums, however, he finds quite impossible, although he's a big fan of the instrument.

On the other hand, I'm sure I wouldn't be able knock out a tune on the sax if I lived to be 100, but as a kid I was able knock out a half-decent drum beat as soon as I picked up a pair of sticks.

We're all different...
Old 05-30-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
Well, it seems all these posts has scared off the TS...or he is too busy practicing... ;-)

Just my $.02: if you like to play drums, just play drums, enjoy it and don't care too much about the rest.
Don't start comparing yourself with a 3 year old on YouTube playing drums better after 12 minutes than you after 5 months.
It is no competition and you don't have to make a living with it.
Thanks for this. And I agree. I do enjoy playing drums and make time every day.. Between 30 minutes to an hour.

I have no desire to be in a band or play professionally.

I just wanted to set my expectations and timing..

And to everyone - thanks for the support and feedback...
Old 05-30-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
And what's really funny is the person that started the thread never made a second comment!

The internet is fun isn't it..........

Hey there.. Been away for a bit.. I have read all the comments and feedback and appreciate the responses.

I will keep playing I believe until I die, or can't pick up the sticks..

I am working really hard now on timing. I have about 20 grooves down and a few fills but need to make sure my timing is good.

I am working on using those grooves at 60, 80 and 100bpm. It is tough, but I am starting to really get the timing on the easier grooves.. The harder ones (at least harder for me) are going to take some time..

Last edited by Beefsock; 05-30-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefsock View Post
Hey there.. Been away for a bit.. I have read all the comments and feedback and appreciate the responses.

I am working really hard now on timing. I have about 20 grooves down and a few fills but need to make sure my timing is good.

I am working on using those grooves at 60, 80 and 100bpm. It is tough, but I am starting to really get the timing on the easier grooves.. The harder ones (at least harder for me) are going to take some time..
I suspect your thread hasn't quite turned out the way you expected it to, so I'll put a slight recap on it...
You can go anywhere you want to with an instrument, it just might take you a bit longer than others to reach a certain point (or faster for that matter). But with enough effort and time it will be reached! Good luck.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

I've found that this type of improvement is an ongoing effort, so keep doing what you're doing, have fun- and step by step there will be progress. It never stops.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebenza View Post
I suspect your thread hasn't quite turned out the way you expected it to, so I'll put a slight recap on it...
You can go anywhere you want to with an instrument, it just might take you a bit longer than others to reach a certain point (or faster for that matter). But with enough effort and time it will be reached! Good luck.
That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks...

I will definitely keep at it and working on it..

My darn right leg doesn't always want to act independently, but it's getting better...
Old 06-02-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
..That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks..

And in the meantime you got some free opinions about what 'talent' is..or..not..or..maybe..or..maybe not..lol..
Old 06-03-2018, 06:20 PM

Good for you!
I also started playing late.. um at 53.
I am a little awkward, so I really wasn't sure I would ever get better.
I have been doing it about 5 years now. And I did keep getting better!
It doesn't matter if you are good or not, if you like to play... then play!
Don't compare yourself to the kids... kids are wired to pick up things fast. You can catch up faster in other areas... Like when my drum instructor was explaining dotted notes to me... I just went... ok got it 1.5 times the face of the note.... he was totally amazed... but that was just obvious to ole technical me. :)