16th note hi-hat groove w/TD-3 + BFD2: Possible?

radionowhere

Hi All:

[Apologies if this has been discussed before; I searched the forums and came up empty, but maybe I used the wrong search terms?]

Anyway, I'm a beginner drummer and beginner v-drum owner with a noobish and simple question, namely:

Is it possible ot play a one handed sixteenth note hi hat groove with dynamics (louder beats, quieter offbeats) on a stock Roland TD-3 kit with stock hi-hat and pedal, triggering BFD2 on my computer?

This video shows the type of thing I'm talking about, starting at 00:50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osmVEwMyiS4

I know there are actually a lot of gear variables hidden in my deceptively simple description, but here's a little more about what I mean.

Leaving the rest of the kit out of the equation, when I stomp down on the hi-hat pedal and keep the pressure on (so the hat is 100% closed) and then attempt to get a one-handed groove going, there's just not much variation in velocity between my loud hits and my quiet (offbeat) hits. Instead of "DAH-dah-DAH-dah-DAH-dah-DAH-dah", I get "DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-", if you catch my drift.

Anyway, I can't get the groove I want out of this setup, and I'm essentially wondering whether it's my equipment, or if it's just me. Anyone have any insight? Thanks!

Back