DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 12-03-2017, 08:35 PM

Default Sickest Blast Beat Video Ever!

Hey everyone, check out this video. Shows you a few different ways to add accents onto your blast beat playing. If you don't play blast beats, i've got other videos on my channel that instruct you on how to play them.

Happy Drumming! :)

https://youtu.be/zQrOa_qMjnQ
Old 12-04-2017, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sickest Blast Beat Video Ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyqqf-iKgCM
Old 12-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

No. No thank you.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:45 PM

I'm kinda busy............
Wood Sticks

Inspired By Phil Gould
Old 12-05-2017, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

I like accenting the hi hat personally. Especially for black metal. Either ONE two three ONE two three, or ONE two three four ONE two three four. Or accenting a crash or two on significant note sequences.

I also use a ONE two ONE two accent a lot.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Gold Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHmYwdAs6A
Old 12-06-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
Hahahaha why did I sit through that whole video.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
Hahahaha why did I sit through that whole video.
Because it was indeed the "Sickest Blast Beat Video Ever!"

Though for the OP video, even with accents or little tricks, constant blasting is boring. No mater how fast or technical it may be.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Gold Member

I know I am old but I really just don't get the musical appeal to blast beats.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

No offense, but I just don't "get" metal music and it's drumming. Sounds like a combination of video arcade and construction site with all the players trying to get to the end of the song before everyone else. Speed is cool but it's not drumming. Just repetition. Listen to Buddy Rich. Fast as hell, but there's syncopation, rhythm, and nuance. Metal drumming to me is like a table with only one leg.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
Metal drumming to me is like a table with only one leg.

Behold the modern face of metal drumming!

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 12-08-2017, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post

Behold the modern face of metal drumming!
Looks pretty (s)table to me!

I can totally understand people who don't like or understand metal. I personally cannot get in to jazz. I've tried and want to learn. But it just isn't my thing.

Not all metal is blasting as fast as possible either. Doom takes it pretty easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU0TUR-o6gE

Or then there is progressive metal...
The prog stuff isn't my taste but I cannot deny that this guy is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bRQOgRY5Bk
Old 12-09-2017, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
I know I am old but I really just don't get the musical appeal to blast beats.
I'm no youngster and I'm in a pretty brutal metal band, but I don't do blast beats, not into them very much except for the way it's done in the song "Still Echoes" from Lamb of God - it's not hyperspeed polka stuff, it's 16th notes with one hand following the 16th notes of your feet and hihat or cymbal with the other hand. Chris Adler does it well and it's tasteful. I only do that (like that example) on one of our songs and it is just in a few bridges. It's physically challenging for sure and builds tension in the song in the right spot.

I agree with you - constant blast beats do not appeal to me, I won't be doing them.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belairien View Post
Looks pretty (s)table to me!

I can totally understand people who don't like or understand metal. I personally cannot get in to jazz. I've tried and want to learn. But it just isn't my thing.
You are not alone my friend! However, the methodology behind jazz is a great tool in any music you play. I like fusion (old, new and the new breed - Animals as Leaders is a great example), but Big band stuff and "standards" put me to sleep.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

I also only blast on occasion in my metal band. It is great for bulding tension, or right after building up the tension. One song we play, the only doubles played are during a short blast section as well. Using the economy blast technique, then gravity for a couple bars, then back to a simple single kick pattern to drive the song. Blast beats and doubles are best in moderation.

I find a differently timed crash to drive things better. Like right before or after the start of the next bar. For example on either the first or the last "and" of 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and.

Gives a good sense of urgency to a song without speeding it up.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post
You are not alone my friend! However, the methodology behind jazz is a great tool in any music you play. I like fusion (old, new and the new breed - Animals as Leaders is a great example), but Big band stuff and "standards" put me to sleep.
I feel the same way. I really like a lot of the fusion stuff and modern jazz. Iíll punch in smooth jazz on Pandora and listen to that for a while. I recently discovered Buckethead Iíll punch that into Pandora and listen to that too good stuff. I donít mind blast beats as long as they donít overuse it. I think the metal that I like is categorized as death metal. I like to listen to haste the day, Demon Hunter, August Burns red etc. hereís the kicker I play in a country band LOL
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

I think the technique is impressive, and it occasionally sounds perfect for the moment, but as a metal fan I have to say I don't like blast beats throughout an entire song. I would NOT want blast beats to be the defining characteristic of my drumming.

On a side note, I hate when people refer to fast double bass as "blast beats". :/

Last edited by bud7h4; 12-10-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
On a side note, I hate when people refer to fast double bass as "blast beats". :/
Hope you aren't referring to my mention of economy blasting lol. I was referencing both doubles and blasts being too much if used excessively.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belairien View Post
Hope you aren't referring to my mention of economy blasting lol. I was referencing both doubles and blasts being too much if used excessively.
No, I was referring to I people calling fast double bass "blast beats". I hear it all the time.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

All today's blast beats are cheating. We used to play with the original Napalm Death when Mickey Harris was drumming. That's proper blast beats not like now.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Lol at "cheating" I didn't know drumming was a competition where we could cheat to win it..

I think the end result is the sound and the music.. who cares how we get there. Guitar players cheat with amps and pedals.. Vocalists use mics, what a bunch of cheaters. Compression on the track? pfffft. what a wus.

99% of people that hate on double kick, blasts,triggers are the ones who can't play the stuff at the extreme speeds anyways I personally find.

Now, I am not saying everyone has to like it. And I do agree blast beats are not the most musical thing in the world, but there is a time and place... In metal double kick and blasts work. I'm not playing a train beat, disco beat, or 4 on the floor usually.. Although I have been adding in some swing and half time shuffles into my metal band as of recently.

It's basically a single stroke roll split up.. I don't find that the most impressive thing to play a whole set either, but when used tastefully it's a good thing to own.

I just think cheating is a very 90's thing to say when everyone used to get all uptight about triggers, even though most of the bands they loved used a ton of studio magic anyways.

One foot blasts are sweet though. Saw napalm death a few years ago and it was great, try doing that at 240-260 BPM though.. say goodbuy to your shins.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:50 AM
Silver Member

Original is always best. Mickey Harris. Like myself, Self taught & from a Punk background :)
Old 12-16-2017, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosticles View Post
Original is always best. Mickey Harris. Like myself, Self taught & from a Punk background :)
I have mad respect for him and single blasts are amazing, don't get me wrong.. I just don't think you can "cheat" at art, unless your programming tracks on your album, triggering and quantizing EVERYTHING, playing mesh heads over backing tracks etc.

I think a single foot blast at the same speed as a dual foot takes more effort is more impressive, but I think using both feet saves a heck of alot of energy in a long set and is easier to go way faster. lol
Old 12-16-2017, 06:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
I have mad respect for him and single blasts are amazing, don't get me wrong.. I just don't think you can "cheat" at art, unless your programming tracks on your album, triggering and quantizing EVERYTHING, playing mesh heads over backing tracks etc.

I think a single foot blast at the same speed as a dual foot takes more effort is more impressive, but I think using both feet saves a heck of alot of energy in a long set and is easier to go way faster. lol
Trying to one foot blast without triggeres at high tempos in a band setting song after song takes some serious skill and endurance. Hence why using both feet is called economy blasting. Much easier to sustain, but you still need skill to time it right.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Gold Member

"99% of people that hate on double kick, blasts,triggers are the ones who can't play the stuff at the extreme speeds anyways I personally find. "

I get the point you are making, but in general to proclaim someone cannot do something implies they tried and failed. I always assume the better players that cannot do a certain thing as well never had the need to put in the time. if I don't play in a hardcore band and don't like fast doubles why would I work on them?
Old 12-19-2017, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

True, but what I guess I am saying more is if I never play fast double bass, or have a need for hybrid drums, I don't really have the right to call triggers "cheating" etc.

Until you can play 16th notes loud and consistent at 240-260 BPM without triggers, most people don't understand how they are necessary to cut the mix as you can't have a big boomy bass drum. It has always been drummers that play much slower than me that say triggers are cheating I find.

Similar to the two foot thing, trying blasting at VERY high speeds and you realize it's a necessity, not cheating. I do it at slower speeds, but it's more for energy conservation than anything.

I also agree most people never have a need to put in the time and learn blast beats as the music they play does not require it, but that doesn't make them any less valuable to the music they work in.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:57 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
True, but what I guess I am saying more is if I never play fast double bass, or have a need for hybrid drums, I don't really have the right to call triggers "cheating" etc.

Until you can play 16th notes loud and consistent at 240-260 BPM without triggers, most people don't understand how they are necessary to cut the mix as you can't have a big boomy bass drum. It has always been drummers that play much slower than me that say triggers are cheating I find.

Similar to the two foot thing, trying blasting at VERY high speeds and you realize it's a necessity, not cheating. I do it at slower speeds, but it's more for energy conservation than anything.

I also agree most people never have a need to put in the time and learn blast beats as the music they play does not require it, but that doesn't make them any less valuable to the music they work in.
This is 100% true.

There is no "cheating" when it comes to triggers. You can either play the notes cleanly at the tempo or you can't. Thr triggers just make it possible for those fast strokes to punch through a loud-ass band.

Why aren't guitar players called out for cheating when they use a volume pedal during a solo single note run? Because that's close to the reason to what metal guys use kick triggers. To be heard.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

[quote=beyondbetrayal;1537474]
99% of people that hate on double kick, blasts,triggers are the ones who can't play the stuff at the extreme speeds anyways I personally find.

QUOTE]

100% of trigger users can't play the stuff at extreme speeds. That's why they use triggers. I've just triggered the triggerers :)

Triggers = autotune for drummers. They have their uses live but on the whole they are an insult to drummers who put the graft in learning technique and can nail their drum parts.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but when you hear proper drums on a record it sounds so much better than all the time aligned, hit replacement crap. There's some amazing metal records out there with a proper drummer on them.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:46 AM
Silver Member

Ha well you're always going to get musical taste differences.

But I will say that although I don't care for the music, I wish I had the technical ability to do blast beats. Even that guy in the fart video has really good technique, look how relaxed he is.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post

100% of trigger users can't play the stuff at extreme speeds. That's why they use triggers. I've just triggered the triggerers :)

Triggers = autotune for drummers. They have their uses live but on the whole they are an insult to drummers who put the graft in learning technique and can nail their drum parts.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but when you hear proper drums on a record it sounds so much better than all the time aligned, hit replacement crap. There's some amazing metal records out there with a proper drummer on them.
Being that every extreme drummer uses triggers, you are basically saying that none of them can do it.

I don't know if saying this makes you feel good but it's just not true. Playing past double bass rolls using the ankles will always be quieter than slower stuff using the full leg. That's why they use triggers.

I don't even trigger my kicks and I'm saying this.

Also, triggers have nothing to do with quantized beats. (what you refer to as time alignment, hit replacement crap)
Old 12-21-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
If a drummer uses triggers, and they cannot play the part, the triggers do absolutely nothing to fix anything. Nothing at all.

It's like claiming that a microphone is a way of cheating when you don't have the "talent" to hit hard enough.

It makes no sense.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 PM

"Drum trigger setup and tutorial," by beyondbetrayal
Old 12-21-2017, 11:15 PM

Triggers will make any mistake clear to everyone in the room. If you're a sloppy player, that slop will be heard. They don't make you faster, they just make things audible.

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 12-24-2017, 07:46 AM
Silver Member

Gee, and here I was thinking people on this forum were open-minded and open to respecting the tastes of others.

Hahahaha just kidding, this whole thread is 100% on point as to what's wrong with people on here!

Merry Christmas frothers :)
Old 12-24-2017, 07:53 PM

To make sure you're worth the real deal, can you play a paradiddle?
Old 12-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Informative, but its more Grandma' basement level cool than it is sick.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

[quote=mikyok;1537927]
Quote:

QUOTE]

I can't tell if this is a joke or the poster is actually this clueless. Autotune for drummers. haha. Also, "proper drumming"? Can you post a video of your own proper drumming at about 260 BPM for all of us?

I know many drummers who have used triggers that sound much worse. EVERY mistake is very forward and upfront. And to give you a bit more knowledge, you can have 127 levels of velocity so your quiet hits aren't always being "autotuned" lol

I hate to tell ya that I bet many of those bands have had studio magic done on their albums, and the ones that haven't don't play at the speeds modern metal does. Triggers and quantizing are also not the same thing.

This went way off topic because poster is still stuck in the 80's or early 90's with that opinion when hating on triggers was cool
Old 12-27-2017, 02:50 PM

The late Nick Menza used triggers in Megadeth, in order to fill out the sound, even though he was one of the hardest hitting guys around.

He used DDRUM triggers with a DDRUM brain, and the sound engineer would usually have the Sound:Trigger ratio set at around 70:30. He would modify this mix on-the-fly if he felt that the sound needed more punch.

It is odd to see intense discussions about what is basically a technique that is almost in line with a rudiment, except that it comes with angry bragging rights once one hits a certain BPM. No other ability is more ferociously defended, it seems, and it is not clear why.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild View Post
The late Nick Menza used triggers in Megadeth, in order to fill out the sound, even though he was one of the hardest hitting guys around.

He used DDRUM triggers with a DDRUM brain, and the sound engineer would usually have the Sound:Trigger ratio set at around 70:30. He would modify this mix on-the-fly if he felt that the sound needed more punch.

It is odd to see intense discussions about what is basically a technique that is almost in line with a rudiment, except that it comes with angry bragging rights once one hits a certain BPM. No other ability is more ferociously defended, it seems, and it is not clear why.
It isn't that odd.. Someone can't play as fast as others, decides to call them cheaters for using triggers as they are jealous and trying to bring them down. Even if the first guy was using triggers he wouldn't be that fast so this is easier for him.

Now, lets get back to topic.. Cam blasting :)
Old 01-07-2018, 02:28 AM

Hey everyone, totally forgot I posted my video in here. Thanks for all the feedback!