Danny Carey

Hey, does any one know what snare drum does danny have? I've ridden about the S-Bronze snare and the jeff ocheltree carbon steel snare. Both from Jeff...
One more question: Did he have the same snare in the early ages, recording undertow? I love that snare drum, but it doesn't sound same as now.

Thanks.

Javo

Right now, It may be the Paiste snare made by Jeff Ocheltree.

But, at one point he used a 16X6.5" Brady snare made out of Bulloak wood.

He might also have used a Sonor snare to match his Sonor kits (he has at least two or three full kits).

Wow great! another one i hadn't seen. I saw 14x8" Bronze snare, from Jeff, then the Carbon steel 14x6,5" also from jeff. but never this... Any way, are you sure its 16x6" and not 14x6", because thats weird measures, eaven more than 14x8".

Thanks anyway, if anyone else knows more, we'll appreciate.

Javo

This was just posted @ Toolband.com ...

danped.jpg

Yeah I saw that, crazy. the footboard is snapped clean in two, and that isn't an easy thing to do.

It looks pretty beat up, must have been using it for a while.

Jesus and the rest of us.

This guy is on a level above anyone who plays at the moment. (Thats a biggy isn't it?) But IMHO its true. No one has the chops that this guy has, alive or dead. Until I here someone with better chops let me know. You can throw out names until the cows come home but the best drummer who has ever graced the planet, I'm saying its Danny Carey fullstop. There would only be about 5 drummers that you could say this about and most of them have passed.

So I'm telling you again, this guy is the best drummer alive, on the planet.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and this is mine.

This guy is on a level above anyone who plays at the moment. (Thats a biggy isn't it?) But IMHO its true. No one has the chops that this guy has, alive or dead. Until I here someone with better chops let me know. You can throw out names until the cows come home but the best drummer who has ever graced the planet, I'm saying its Danny Carey fullstop. There would only be about 5 drummers that you could say this about and most of them have passed.

100% correct.

When I first heard Tool, I thought to myself "Alright, I don't see what the big deal is about this Carey guy."

Then I REALLY listened to Tool, and attempted (and I mean ATTEMPTED) to play some of their stuff.

Impossible.

This guy is so ridiculous at the drums. SO ridiculous.

Everything about how he plays the drums is absolutely perfect. Each stick hits each drum/cymbal/pad at the absolute PERFECT time.

His 4 way coordination is unbelievable.

I just can't understand how a human being could come up with some of the licks he busts out for Tool.

The breakdown in Eulogy. OH MY GAWWDDD.

The breakdown in Lateralus. OH MY GAWWWWWWWDDDDD. Had me in TEARS the first time I heard it.

Literally every single Tool song has undeniably insane drums.

In my honest opinion, Danny Carey is the greatest rock drummer alive today.

I don't care about his speed. I don't care about the size of his drumset. I don't care about how much money he makes. I don't care about what band he's in (although Tool is my favorite band). I don't care about his life outside of drums. I don't care about his training.

The bottom line is, this guy is the best. Hands down. THE BEST.

Hehe nice closing line! I do love Danny, he's up there with the best no question about it...but I'd take Jojo, Chambers, Lang, Minnuemen, Donati and some others over him for the best chops and technical prowess, just my opinion though!

Anyone ever notice how far behind the "Official" site for the band is? How lame is that? The only thing interesting on that site is the "Play Pong" feature that takes your mind off of how lame the site really is.

Oh, how I long for the day another album is released.

Hehe nice closing line! I do love Danny, he's up there with the best no question about it...but I'd take Jojo, Chambers, Lang, Minnuemen, Donati and some others over him for the best chops and technical prowess, just my opinion though!

I'll give everyone of those guys all the credit they deserve for pushing themselves and their playing to the technical limit of the human body, but there's a different between technique and feel. Technique and chops you can learn by locking yourself in a room for 6 hours a day, 7 days a week untill you can play in your sleep. But feel comes from somewhere else. Carey has a conversation with his playing, he tells you a story. Chambers, Lang, Donati - they play incredible things, but I find it hard to find beauty in their playing. I wouldn't be moved to tears over it. I enjoy it thoroughly, but it's a different kind of drumming to Carey's. there's almost a mechanical precision in it: "look I can play a reverse parradiddle with my feet while my hands play a latin rhythm", yeah great, I'm it took you 6 months to master that, but what does that tell me?

The way I apporach my playing is that technique and chops are a means to an end. They're my drumming vocabulary which I use to express myself.

I'll give everyone of those guys all the credit they deserve for pushing themselves and their playing to the technical limit of the human body, but there's a different between technique and feel. Technique and chops you can learn by locking yourself in a room for 6 hours a day, 7 days a week untill you can play in your sleep. But feel comes from somewhere else. Carey has a conversation with his playing, he tells you a story. Chambers, Lang, Donati - they play incredible things, but I find it hard to find beauty in their playing. I wouldn't be moved to tears over it. I enjoy it thoroughly, but it's a different kind of drumming to Carey's. there's almost a mechanical precision in it: "look I can play a reverse parradiddle with my feet while my hands play a latin rhythm", yeah great, I'm it took you 6 months to master that, but what does that tell me?

The way I apporach my playing is that technique and chops are a means to an end. They're my drumming vocabulary which I use to express myself.

Nicely said, I agree completely...which is why JoJo is my favourite drummer. I actually think that Chambers and Donait have a lot of feel in their playing, but Lang does sound a bit too robotic.

I started learning sober the other day, can't quite get my left foot doing the hi-hat part in the main beat but I'm nearly there!

Yea. Danny Carey has definitely been one of my biggest influences. I try to pull a lot of things out of his style, especially his polyrhythms. But just everything he plays, I love. His combination of feel, technical ability and sense of sound and rhythm make for my favorite sound in progressive rock today, no question. I can't wait until he comes to town. I really want to see him live.

Danny Carey was the reason I started drumming. The more and more I listen to him the more things I pick up that I missed the time before. This guy just blows me away. They have not had a new album in a few years but my jaw still drops when I listen to him.

I saw Tool live a few years ago and they were amazing. They were like a huge well oiled machine. Danny Carey is a FREAK!!! He is relentess he doesn't stop the whole show. He must be so fit. The way he moved around his kit was effortless and does he pound those drums. He was born to play drums for Tool. He just blew me away.

The Aeneid, The Odyssey, The Upanishads, Plato, Plotinus, The Pythagorean Sourcebook and Library and Marcus Aurelius.

Danny has used sacred reverb. Has used Cymbal phase. Tools behind the scenes studies on Cymatics, Fractals and the Physical, theoretical, physiological, acoustic, compositional and analytical relationships between mathematics and music are unfolded and explored with focus on tuning and temperament as well as interlocking and counter rhythmic complexities, rhythmic-code-progression.

The complex and intentional relationships embedded within the notational progressions are also one of the greatest qualities in a Tool song.

Indeed, the best way to listen to tool is naked, mentally and physically. ;) ENTER LIVE PUSHIT

Listen as with Neti Neti, allow the music to speak directly with the soul as it were.

These are my thoughts, not axiom ;D

Danny is my favorite drummer of all time. His style and power is unbelievable.

Back