What sport disciplines help you become better on drums?

Kurz

I have read few articles and post about sports, sport worm ups.
Many years ago I used to skateboard - but I sure this is not the
one which helps me become better on drums.
Many injuries stop me from doing that.

So which sport discipline or single exercise is in your opinion
helpful. Or you can suggest a book which deals primary with
sports and already helped you.
My father recommended chess - but it is not what I wanted to here
from you :)

Here's a thread that I found by using the search function...

Does woking out help drumming?
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96371

As from my experience - athletics/track & field does. Because you'll develop a good sense of how the body works, how to learn coordination, have more control/awareness of motions and physical aspects. Running is great for endurance. Working out can't hurt either.

Badminton

Bad min ton

...Or you can suggest a book which deals primary with
sports and already helped you...

While not a book about drumming, "Rhythms of the Game" by Bernie Williams is a TERRIFIC book that deals with the parallels between sports and music performance. Bernie was a fine baseball player with the New York Yankees and is a pretty good guitarist, too. Every few months I re-read the book just to reinforce many of the concepts that are presented. The only down-side to the book is, if one is not that familiar with baseball some of the anecdotal stories might be difficult comprehend. But...the book focuses mainly on the mental/attitudinal side of performance.

One of the other authors of the book is a drummer, and goes into a little bit about ergonomics on kit setup (specifically cymbal placement).

You can find more about the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Rhythms-Game-Between-Athletic-Performance/dp/1423499476/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394097117&sr=1-1&keywords=rhythms+of+the+game

Last edited:
I would just try to remain physicaaly fit overall and spend my time drumming to learn the drums.

I don't know of any sport that directly helps with drumming but I believe that golf helps with concentration, patience and seeing practice equate to improved performance. Also with golf you are on your own - there is no teammate to help you out when you get in trouble, just you.

MM

Play sports because they're fun, but it's not going to help you play music. Why does everyone ask this?

While not a sport, Buddy Rich was a tap dancer. I bet this would help.

As far real sports go, I would think martial arts might help as well.

While not a sport, Buddy Rich was a tap dancer. I bet this would help.

As far real sports go, I would think martial arts might help as well.

Buddy was also heavily into martial arts...in WWII he was a hand-to-hand combat instructor in the Marines; he also had a black belt in karate.

Louis Bellson and Steve Gadd were also both tap dancers. Legend has it that when Gadd was doing the movie soundtrack of "A Chorus Line", the producer didn't like the recorded sound of the dancers...so he had Gadd dance, and they used that overdub. Don't know how true it is, though.

Sports disciplines will carry over into any other area of your life. The discipline to practice is exactly the same. If you want to learn to hit a baseball, you spend countless hours in the batting cage, even at the professional level.

Also, participating in team sports will (should anyway) help you to learn to do your part in a team effort. This certainly comes into play in a band situation. Several people doing their individual parts to achieve one goal.

Sports also hone your agility which comes into play with music. I've been playing softball for 17 years and my arms and legs are tough as hell. There is never any fatigue after playing just four hours of music.

Be it sports or music, I've always been extremely envious of those who are able to "play" anything for a living :)

I think many activities would cross over, but swimming Is pretty good, especially for the upper body and coordination, you get controlled breathing in there too.

I agree with Planoranger and New Tricks - all sports are good for drumming and vice versa because each require flow stemming from relaxed focus. All practice of flow (even washing up, if you focus) helps feed flow in other parts of our lives.

However, sport or anything else done in a distracted, unfocused way will only help physical fitness, although in some sports a lack of focus increases the risk of injury.

I've dug out the old tennis racket (played 2nd singles in college) but have learned not to do it on the day of a gig. Being rough on the right forearm is not good for playing fast ride patterns all night. Although with a break in between it's probably strengthening my wrist. Maybe I should try playing left handed. ;-)

Jarts...............................

Get a book called "Body Mind Mastery" by Dan Millman. It's geared towards athletes but drummers are athletes (hang on a sec.... BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA....thank you) so it applies as well.

Back